Thread: Does a loud exhaust ticket add points to your insurance?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Viper Owner

Default Does a loud exhaust ticket add points to your insurance?

I got a speeding ticket and loud exhaust a few months ago in the Viper and i got a chance to contest it today with the magistrate. They took off the speeding but are making me pay the loud exhaust ticket (apparently I got one in my corvette 7 years ago). On the ticket it is marked as "illegal operation" which is for my loud exhaust. Will this give me surcharge points in MA? MA does have a strict policy here and pretty expensive rates. Any info?

Thanks
    Martin

Viper Owner

Default Re: Does a loud exhaust ticket add points to your insurance?

I got 2 'loud exhaust' tickets so far here in IL - $50 each and no points. I had the option to fix it and get the ticket cancelled - well...

Viper Owner

In most states it's a "non-moving" violation...which means it has nothing to do with the safe operation of your vehicle (i.e. - speeding and putting lives in danger). You should be able to locate the information for your home state on their DMV website about points for violations (as they have the control over the point system, not the courts).

Viper Owner

doubt it since its not a moving violation

Enthusiast

Well, what about those motorcycles that have straight-thru pipes, and you can't hear even when they're a MILE away it seems??? Are THEY ever ticketed for this? ~juli

Viper Owner

Forgive my ignorance but how do they define a "loud exhaust" ticket? We don't have laws like that (that I know of) in AZ.

Does the officer actually have a decibel or sound level meter in their car or is it all just subjective?

If they have no recorded evidence of how loud the exhaust actually is, it should be pretty easy to fight.

VCA Member
    Georgia

Easy--go to court and ask for the decible limit. Have the case contined (postponed) until the state can prove their case. I reiterate----COPS s ck. Just another form of a tax on us to generate money for the machine. Good luck.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Ride View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but how do they define a "loud exhaust" ticket? We don't have laws like that (that I know of) in AZ.

Does the officer actually have a decibel or sound level meter in their car or is it all just subjective?

If they have no recorded evidence of how loud the exhaust actually is, it should be pretty easy to fight.
    With some of the set-ups that we run, one doesn't need a sound level meter to say they are loud. Of course, you could fight it, but what if they bring out the sound meter then?

VCA Member
    Georgia

My Viper--what if they do? Still the proof is on them. Dollars to donuts most PD's don't have a decibel meter, and if they did, is the cop qualified,certified to use it? What a waste of time.

Viper Owner

I'd be like "sorry sir, but it is stock"

they not gonna tell cuz everything is covered

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by cash84 View Post
    I'd be like "sorry sir, but it is stock"

they not gonna tell cuz everything is covered
    On a comp coupe, yes

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit3 View Post
    My Viper--what if they do? Still the proof is on them. Dollars to donuts most PD's don't have a decibel meter, and if they did, is the cop qualified,certified to use it? What a waste of time.
    I guess I meant to say I'd rather pay the $50 and get it over with.

Viper Owner

In Virginia modifying your exhaust other than a factory replacement equivalent part is illegal. So putting a high flow muffler on your car is illegal and you will be ticketed every time. Modifying your suspension in any way other then factory, Moton Coil overs for instance, is illegal as well. Thank you commonwealth.

VCA Member
    Houston

Not a moving violation and that sucks but how about ticketing all those gang bangers with their ridiculous stereos blaring away at a traffic light. Talk about noise pollution. And have you ever noticed they all have to have their windows down to share the crap with people who dont care.
    2009 ACR Hardcore

Viper Owner

KNG SNKE, good thing your cats are not visible.....
    and how would they know if the suspension was modded ? are the cops experts ?

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    KNG SNKE, good thing your cats are not visible.....
    and how would they know if the suspension was modded ? are the cops experts ?
    If your Honda is dragging the tailpipe, your suspension is modified. (fairly obvious) Doubt you would ever be pulled in the Viper, but if they wanted to push the issue, they would win. Virginia's laws are pretty rough about what you can and can't add to a vehicle, but no emissions for most cities so that's not bad.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by my viper View Post
    With some of the set-ups that we run, one doesn't need a sound level meter to say they are loud. Of course, you could fight it, but what if they bring out the sound meter then?
    It's more a matter of principle than anything else. Why pay the $50 fine at all? They bear the burden of proof and if they can't prove that your car is too loud, they lose.

I imagine that somewhere it is written what the decibel limit is and under what circumstances an exhaust is "too loud." Is the standard set at idle or full throttle?

So what if they bring out the sound meter? Any number of things could skew the results of the meter i.e. humidity, wind direction, distance of the meter to the exhaust, other ambient noise, etc. It just seems like the easiest ticket in the world to fight and this is a grotesque representation of the "Viper Tax."

Ya'll need to move out West!!!

Enthusiast

It seems like there would be no harm in challenging it in court. You have the right to question the cop. If you ask the right questions, eventually maybe he'll answer one of the questions leaving doubt in the judge's mind. I would think especially if the question relates to something that the cop answers in a subjective manner (i.e., it was too loud by "my" standards or other silly answer). Unfortunately, I have seen where a cop was given the benefit of a doubt by a judge when it came to his perception of how fast a car was going (as opposed to scientific proof using a radar detector).

What do you have to lose? It might be entertaining.

Some questions might be:

1) What are the standards for an exhaust system that is too loud?
    2) How is that measured?
    2a) What device is used?
    2b) How is the test administered?
    2c) Does the police force provide training in the use of this equipment?
    3) Has he received that training?

It may be the case that it IS a subjective test. Of course, that would be good to know before you go to court.

Viper Owner

On a comp coupe, yes
    you got that right. Thats what I have

Viper Owner

Pay the ticket, it's no big deal

Viper Owner

A loud exhaust ticket? Is that like a fart joke?

Enthusiast

Thats why you should turn your car off immediately after being pulled over I was with a friend in Miami, FL in his C5 Z06 and we got pulled over for loud exhaust (so too much for the idea of turn the car off quick). It was 2-3am and we were raising some hell down in Southbeach and the car really was LOUD, plus echoing off the tall buildings didn't help. The policeman had to tell him to turn the car off so he could hear my friend's responses. Whats worse is the guy then admitted he had cut the cats off of it when the cop asked why it was so loud. The ticket cost him $85 for "loud exhaust" (can't remember the legal term), not sure if he got any points or not, but I doubt it.

VCA Member
    Central North Florida

I guess I meant to say I'd rather pay the $50 and get it over with.
    That's what they are banking on. It's the easiest $50 they can make. They aren't gonna waste their time proving a $50 case and they know the average guy will not waste his time fighting it.
    Chuck 98 RT/10
    BabelMotorsports.net
    SAFEMotorsports.com

Viper Owner

I would not pay the ticket, I would go to trial and if officer has no hard evidence [ decibel reading] then I would think prosecutor would drop it or have the officer under oath testify and descibe in detail what contitutes loud exhaust. Under no circunstaces would I pay that ticket...they are wasting your time, now its your turn to waste some of theirs.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by cash84 View Post
    you got that right. Thats what I have
    Yup, drove by you at the last IL fall cruise - sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10 View Post
    That's what they are banking on. It's the easiest $50 they can make. They aren't gonna waste their time proving a $50 case and they know the average guy will not waste his time fighting it.
    Indeed. I'm nowhere close to the "it's only $50" mentality - but in this case, even if I could fight it in court and win, I'd rather have that time to drive, especially since there are no points on the record.

Viper Owner

So that was you I saw on 128 near the Burlington mall back in February around 1:00... Did you get the ticket before or after I saw you?

I was surprised to see you on the road in February, although it was a nice day out.

Sorry I can't answer your question, I live in NH and am not familiar with MA laws. I do know a club member we can ask if you haven't already found your answer.

Viper Owner

How about checking your State DriversHandbook. The point system is Diff state by state. In General, like someone said, it has to be a "Moving violation" to recieve points.

New York:
    Violation Points
    Speeding MPH Over Not Indicated 3
    Speeding 1-10 MPH Over Speed Limit 3
    Speeding 11-20 MPH Over Speed Limit 4
    Speeding 21-30 MPH Over Speed Limit 6
    Speeding 31-40 MPH Over Speed Limit 8
    Speeding More than 40 MPH over Speed Limit 11
    Reckless Driving 5
    Failed to stop for a school bus 5
    Inadequate brakes 4
    Inadequate brakes ( employers vehicle) 2
    Following Too Closely 4
    Improper passing 3
    Unsafe lane change 3
    Driving left of center line 3
    Driving wrong way 3
    Failure to obey a traffic signal 3
    Failure to obey a stop sign 3
    Failure to obey a yield sign 3
    Railroad crossing violation 3
    Failure to yield right-of-way 3
    Passenger safety violations 3
    Other moving violations 2

Maryland:
    http://www.marylandmva.com/Resources/DL-002A.pdf

Pennsylvania:
    Jason R. Antoine - Pennsylvania Criminal Defense Attorney

Delaware:
    Speeding 1 9 miles per hour (MPH) over posted limit 2
    Speeding 10 14 MPH over posted limit 4
    Speeding 15 19 MPH over posted limit 5
    Speeding 20 MPH or more over posted limit
    *(May result in additional actions including suspension)
    5*
    Passing a Stopped School Bus 6
    Reckless Driving 6
    Aggressive Driving 6
    Disregarding Stop Sign or Red Light 3
    Other Moving Violations (contained in Chapters 27,41,42 of Title 21) 2

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by V10SpeedLuvr View Post
    Thats why you should turn your car off immediately after being pulled over I was with a friend in Miami, FL in his C5 Z06 and we got pulled over for loud exhaust (so too much for the idea of turn the car off quick). It was 2-3am and we were raising some hell down in Southbeach and the car really was LOUD, plus echoing off the tall buildings didn't help. The policeman had to tell him to turn the car off so he could hear my friend's responses. Whats worse is the guy then admitted he had cut the cats off of it when the cop asked why it was so loud. The ticket cost him $85 for "loud exhaust" (can't remember the legal term), not sure if he got any points or not, but I doubt it.

Yeah, the only problem with THAT, Chad...is starting up your car when cop is finished with ya...lol...when I got my stupid 'fail to signal' (which so far, I DON'T think in NYS that is a 'moving violation/points' citation...as it doesn't say 'unsafe lane change', just says 'fail to signal')...I left the car ON...only revving it, he would've heard the loud exhaust (I've pulled the fuse so the Z06 exhaust is ALWAYS ON...). The motorcycles are the WORST of the lot...one cannot even HEAR when they go by...why are THEY not ticketed/pulled over??? ILLEGAL to have straight-thru pipes here...but they have em on bikes??? WTH???? ~juli

Viper Owner

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I called my insurance agency and they told me to call the dmv. I called the dmv and they told me to call my ins. agency...........what a lazy world we live in. I know it not a moving violation, but in MA the driving laws are pretty strict, and the insurance is off the wall $$ wise.
    WOT - that may have been me by the Burlington mall. I live right off 128 in Peabody MA. And I drive that way often. Hopefully we meet up one day this year on one of the viper meets with Jerry Colpitts.

Juli - I agree with you on the motorcycle exhausts, I think its rediculous. Many officers here drive harleys on the job and off the job and they are louder than my car. But its okay for them.......

Unfortunately I had to go to court already for this ticket, they let me go on the speeding ticket because that in my opinion was totally bogus and they knew it, but since I had a loud exhaust ticket 7 years ago they wouldnt give it to me on that end. I was happy enough not to get the ticket for speeding i didnt want to push my luck. But now that im reading all these posts I feel I should have pushed the envelope. O well to late now you live and you learn. But I still havent figured out if I get point s here in MA. I will post as soon as I find out.

Thanks
    Martin

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dom426h View Post
    How about checking your State DriversHandbook. The point system is Diff state by state. In General, like someone said, it has to be a "Moving violation" to recieve points.
    Wow, those are some stiff point penalties. In GA, we don't get points until we are doing 15mph or more over!

GA Point system:

15-19 MPH: 2 points
    19-24 MPH: 3 points
    24-34 MPH: 4 points
    34 MPH or more: 6 points

Quote Originally Posted by mike & juli View Post
    Yeah, the only problem with THAT, Chad...is starting up your car when cop is finished with ya...lol...
    Take your pick...leave the car on and let it be loud the whole time the cop is talking to you or turn it off and not have to worry about it being loud until you crank up to leave. I don't like my luck, so I'll turn the car off and keep it quiet for as long as I can. It also makes the officer feel a little safer, since its less of a chance you may "run" on him if you turn the car off. With the danger cops are in at every traffic stop, making him feel safer may be the difference between a ticket or warning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast