Western Canada Event

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well…. I’ve put together a track day / get together in Calgary. If you’ve never been to Race City this just might be your last chance as the track is scheduled to close at the end of the season.

Our on track time will be Monday, June 22, 5:00 to 9:00pm.
I wanted a date that is more than just a track day so I’ve added some incentives for people from out of town to attend.

Here’s the plan:
On Sunday June 21 we’ll meet early to go on a group drive. The ‘standard drive' is to go into the mountains looking for twisty roads – and there are a few, but they’re always busy with tourists so instead we’ll be heading east from Calgary. Yessir, we’ll be going to the beautiful badlands! We’ll take a trip through rural Alberta passing through, Rosebud and Drumheller before loading onto the historic Bleriot Ferry (commissioned in 1913) to carry us across the Red Deer River. Later we’ll make it to the world famous Gopher Hole Museum in Torrington. It’s ridiculous, a major laugh and yet, unforgettable. I’d describe it as ‘campy tourist’ at its best (or worst!). We’ll have lunch and dinner on the road.

On Monday morning we’ll meet at local speed merchant Davenport Motorsports for some dyno runs. We have room for 4 cars so if you want to dyno your car be sure to let me know ASAP! We’ll wrap things up in time to freshen up before heading to Race City for our track time at 5:00pm – the highlight of the weekend.

We’ll be joining an existing Davenport track night so there’s no minimum number of cars required and it’s the best way to keep the cost as low as possible. We’ll have 2 run groups so we can accommodate experienced track rats as well as first timers. Instruction is available for everyone and will be mandatory for those with little or no track experience. We’ll be with other types of cars like Corvette’s and Chargers - so there will be a nice mix. For those with instructors we’ll be doing classroom between sessions.
After the track we’ll head out to a local pub for some nacho’s.

There will be no group cost for the drive portion of the trip – everyone pays their own way. If you want to dyno your car the price is $150 each plus GST. We’ll do ‘baseline dyno runs’. Each car will get two pulls with the wideband hooked up and a print out with the HP/Torque and the air/fuel ratio. This should be fun! We’ll have time for 4 cars… plus mine!
The track portion of the event will cost $325 ($300 without instructor – for track veterans).
Registration deadline is June 8th.

Some FAQ’s.
-Verts are OK.
-Factory seat belts are OK.
-Helmet required – motorcycle helmets are OK. If you don’t have a helmet I may be able to locate one for you.
-I can arrange for payment by Visa or cheque. All payment goes to Davenport Motorsports.
-You’ll need to sign a waiver at the track.
-Your insurance may, or may not cover you if you crash but crashes are extremely rare. You will, however, have the opportunity to crash. The instructors I use are first class and can usually spot problems before they occur.
-You can bring a passenger but your instructor may be riding with you for most of the night.
-We will not tech. your car – it’s your responsibility to bring a track worthy car. A full tank of fuel, good brake pads, fresh brake fluid and tires in good condition, tire pressures set, etc.
-Bring a happy attitude (especially for the Gopher Hole Museum!) and have a great time!

I can be contacted at [email protected] or 403-862-7942.
I hope ya’ll can make it.
Greg

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went and inspected the track today. It looks to be in pretty good condition - it's survived the winter well.

There's some paving scheduled for the end of this month (just some patches) and a sweeping before the end of this week.

Race City is far from the worlds smoothest track but it's also far from the worst. The paving might help bring the track to as good as it's been in a few years. This is good news and is just one more thing that'll help make this event great!

Greg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd like to make it out there for that. I'll write it onto my calendar

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wife's got family and I usually do my best to make all Viper events. Vipermagazine summer issue will have my article on the Revelstoke Rally that Douglas French sponsored. Winter was the Viper mag issue that had my Kelowna Weekend event hosted by Craig Sanford and his wife Gail. Everybody had a blast.

Hopefully, we'll be able to make the trip to Calgary. Many of the alberta VCA members are friends and it's always good to see them.

Ted

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm down in Texas at a driving school here. Racing Adventures. Its a blast. Cant wait to try this out on my Viper. Sure hope I can make the June track day. How do stock brakes hold up on the Viper for a track night? My intructor down here says I will loose the brakes after 4 laps on a stock Viper? Any insite on that one?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought both my Vipers with ceramics pads, lightweight crossdrilled and slotted rotors. For racing use drilled rotors are not recommended and I bought a 14" slotted, lightweight rotor'd Gen 3 brake kit (Roe Racing Viper Performance Parts) for the front and my track day was good. For actual racing most guys have a set of pads and rotors for track only. I'd recommend buying ceramic pads anyway. You can search and find tons of advice and information.

Ted

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm down in Texas at a driving school here. Racing Adventures. Its a blast. Cant wait to try this out on my Viper. Sure hope I can make the June track day. How do stock brakes hold up on the Viper for a track night? My intructor down here says I will loose the brakes after 4 laps on a stock Viper? Any insite on that one?

I don't know what experience your instructor has in Vipers or specifically in Vpers at Race City but I have thousands of laps in a Viper at Race City.

Your stock pads will last many track days and perform very, very well at Race City. Don't let anyone tell you different! In fact, yesterday I did about 60 laps in my ACR, on Saturday more than 100 and there were 2 other SRT-10 Verts and an 08 Coupe that were doing just as many laps. There were no brake issues, tire issues, nothing.

Of course you can always upgrade and get better pads, rotors etc. but you'll have no problems with the stock setup.

A few years ago I was Chief Instructor for Racing Adventures when they were at Race City (it's a traveling school - they work out of a truck). You'll find that the Cobra's are cool cars but your Viper is WAAAAYYYYY better on the track. It's not even close.

If you're still at the Racing Adventures school say high to Dave, and to Thumper..... the red car.:)

Greg

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg;
I plan to come to Calgary in June. However, the way things are going with my motor I may not have a Viper:omg: If this is the case would it be alright to go on the cruise to Drumheller with you guys(and gals) in a Road Runner and just be a spectator on track day?:eater: If so I will book it and make plans right away.:2tu:
Ron

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will post on here as there does not seem to be a lot of action on our forum. :dunno: Greg, how are we making out for bookings for your dyno and track event? Hope we have enough to make it a good turnout. I am sure with you putting it together it will be a great event. :headbang:

Thanks for letting me know I can bring the Ram SRT 10. This way I will do track time with either car or truck. :drive: I can hardly wait now. :D

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things are going well and it looks like we'll have a decent turnout. There's ONE SPOT LEFT FOR THE DYNO! Let me know if you want in ASAP.

More good news, we're having a BBQ! I'll send details on this a little later on too.

I need to make clear that this is a VIPER CLUB EVENT and is for Vipers only! Other marques are welcome to the track portion of our event though.

Now for the bad news.
My message, without my permission, was posted on another forum (mostly Porsches and BMW's) and there seems to be several folks that want to join us with their 'off brand' cars. Because of this I'll have to change our meeting spot, time and route for our drive. I'll let all Viper drivers know the particulars after registration closes on June 8th.

However, anyone, in any brand of car is welcome to the track event.

Greg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SRT10 at the track? Interesting. And even Porsches to play with? Cool. Sounding like more fun all the time.

Ted

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have nearly new g-force T/A drag radials on my GTS. Will they be alright for the track and if so should I have maximum pressure in them? :dunno:

Yeah...a sixty-two year old track ******. :( Oh well, better late than not at all!!! :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran 40psi in my PS2s last time I tracked. Near new is good.

I really like my PS2s and I found them to be the only tires that worked great in the rain.

Ted

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run with PS2's They work pretty good. Certainly not 'R' compound - but I think they're a good solid tire.

When I ran them I used 38psi rear and 36psi front cold, on a street alignment. You don't get much wear at those pressures. If I wanted maximum grip I'd lower them a fair bit and change my camber settings at the same time.

Greg

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Dont worry about having the Porsches and BMW`s at the track. I met some of Greg`s `` other `` friends at the track this weekend and they are all a bunch of class acts and great guys. I had a great time but unfortunately could not take my car out as I had a brake problem that I need to work on but still a fun time none the less. Plus I got to do a little drag racing and even got to beat up on a Vette. Unfortunately my old Viper could not keep up to Greg`s ACR but it was sure fun trying.......twice..LOL.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Dont worry about having the Porsches and BMW`s at the track. I met some of Greg`s `` other `` friends at the track this weekend and they are all a bunch of class acts and great guys. I had a great time but unfortunately could not take my car out as I had a brake problem that I need to work on but still a fun time none the less. Plus I got to do a little drag racing and even got to beat up on a Vette. Unfortunately my old Viper could not keep up to Greg`s ACR but it was sure fun trying.......twice..LOL.

Well, I needed the extra power - you killed me out of the hole both times!

You - and your car launch HARD!:clap2:

Greg

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Greg ...How many we have so far????

Do I need another BBQ???

I don't think so...... but it looks like your BBQ might be busy!;)

Our confirmation date is tomorrow so I should have numbers in the next couple of days. We have a nice group for the track but I'm unsure on our road trip numbers. See the following message.

This should be a great event! Thanks for hosting the BBQ!

Greg

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS IS IMPORTANT!

The schedule is changing! Since our departure times are changing I need to send you an updated schedule so you don't get left behind. If I don't get your e-mail you will not get an updated schedule! Therefore, please send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you're coming. Please indicate if you're coming to the track event, the driving event, or both.

Please send me a message even if you've sent your cheque (or paid Davenport directly) or if we've been in contact by e-mail before. I want to confirm with you that I have your cheque and that you're registered. I also need your e-mail address so I can send you our updated schedule and a form required for the track event. I also need to know how many people are coming on the drive so I can arrange for the appropriate amount of goodies.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to the event!

Greg Phillips
[email protected]

P.S. If you've sent your cheque (or paid Davenport directly), thank you - you're registered for the track portion of the event but I still need your e-mail! Thank you for helping make our event run as smoothly as possible.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg;
I checked with the boys today and this is the result:
Shane 2, Steve 2, Brian 0, Shannon 0, George 2, Mike 2, Ron 2.

Total- 10 from our group. We plan on gathering at the Donut Mill in Gasolene Alley about 6 AM Sunday morning and having a quick breakfast at the meeting place near Calgary before heading out with the main group.

Ron

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. That looks like 8 more. I'll add them to my list tonight.

Thanks,
Greg

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg;
I checked with the boys today and this is the result:
Shane 2, Steve 2, Brian 0, Shannon 0, George 2, Mike 2, Ron 2.

Total- 10 from our group. We plan on gathering at the Donut Mill in Gasolene Alley about 6 AM Sunday morning and having a quick breakfast at the meeting place near Calgary before heading out with the main group.

Ron

Hi folks.K so beg time.My wife and i will be in Delburn that morning so do you guys mind driving the back roads out to Calgary if not we will be on the Alley at 6 Am .

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks.K so beg time.My wife and i will be in Delburn that morning so do you guys mind driving the back roads out to Calgary if not we will be on the Alley at 6 Am .

Shane;
Have to pic up George going by Innisfail so best meet in Alley. You are only 17 Min. away in Delburne, right??:drive::2tu:
Ron

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup just making sure my wife is ready will be fun.LOL i am sure i can do it.So 6 ish in the morning it is maybe a few minutes late so call if i am not there by 6 30 ish.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
I know you have the revised schedule (please don't post it here) so we'll meet you guys at the scheduled time at the scheduled place.

The reason I don't want it posted here is then we might get a bunch of folks that I dn't know about and I need to keep track of who's coming so I know how many mouths we need to feed at the BBQ at the end of the day.

--- PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A VIPER EVENT - VIPERS ONLY ---

If you want to drive a Porsche - go to a Porsche event. I won't bring my Viper and make ya'll look bad... just joking! :)

Greg

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg;
I went to Thursday nite S/S at Superstore tonight and met a couple with an '05 Copperhead with '08 Hood and Paxton. He is a VCA member who never gets on the internet, said he would e mail and call you to see if he could make the cruise on Sat. I told him he might be too late but give it a try in case someone backs out.
Ron

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would that be Conrad Lee? I called him up a week ago and gave him hell for not paying his membership this year. I also told him your guys were doing some stuff for Father's day and he said he was interested in showing.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm heading out to take in a day at the races at Mission Raceway before the Father's Day show at the park with the other VCA guys. You guys have a great weekend.

Ted

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can still make the full event. The drive in on SUNDAY!!! Not Saturday!

Any way. There's always room for the drive and also for the track night. The Dyno is full....

Greg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper