Am I missing something here?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I missing a part here?

You would think there would be a gasket here....

2004 with K & N's, if the year matters.

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I put rubber weatherstripping there.....available from Home Depot, etc.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Am I missing a part here?

All things considered, I dont think it is absolutely necessary to seal it and think K&N thought the same. The scoop on the hood is not a true ram air scoop. It simply lets in cool air into the filter box.

I do think they still could have done a better job sealing to keep out the engine heat, but for performance sake, I dont think it matters either way.

My $0.02...

You would think there would be a gasket here....

2004 with K & N's, if the year matters.

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with viperX. I also put black weather stripping to seal the gaps and keep engine heat out as much as possible. Very easy to do.

eagles

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am of the midset that it needs to be open and here is why;). If sealed when air enters the airbox it just sits there and heats up by the surrounding plastic (feel the bottom of you airbox sometime after a drive or track session its screaming hot because the fan blows directly on it). The air temps can mildly heat up inside the box until it enters the intake if no flow is available. Yes when the car is sitting still and engine running it would make sence to have those sealed. If air can move through the box if even ever so slow then there is a constant stream of cool air replenishing. I solved the heat on the bottom of the airbox by riviting a layer of heat shielding to it. Keeps the box very cool even when sitting still and having the fan blowing on it.

So is there even 1 cent of performance increase from it? Who knows but I liked the theory behind it:rolaugh:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am of the midset that it needs to be open and here is why;). If sealed when air enters the airbox it just sits there and heats up by the surrounding plastic (feel the bottom of you airbox sometime after a drive or track session its screaming hot because the fan blows directly on it). The air temps can mildly heat up inside the box until it enters the intake if no flow is available. Yes when the car is sitting still and engine running it would make sence to have those sealed. If air can move through the box if even ever so slow then there is a constant stream of cool air replenishing. I solved the heat on the bottom of the airbox by riviting a layer of heat shielding to it. Keeps the box very cool even when sitting still and having the fan blowing on it.

So is there even 1 cent of performance increase from it? Who knows but I liked the theory behind it:rolaugh:

With all your mods I assume you removed the water deflector in the scope. Shoudn't that allow alot of cool air straight in ?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty gets in with or without rain shield in scoop. The majority of air comes from the front facia if you look from inside the engine bay and you will notice two large holes in front of the radiator but behind facia that line up with holes in the tip of the hood(when shut) that supply all the air.I believe the hood scoop is there to look cool and I'm sure its functional as well. My point above is that air sits in the box and heats up until drawn in giving it a way to flow while driving is good. Seriously though those un sealed parts around the K/N won't affect anything wether I'm wrong or not :)