Considering 94 RT10 vs. Z06 or Base Vette Vert

TDRHawkeye

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I realize I am taking my chances venturing into the Snake Pit with this question, and realize too that the question is likely to draw a very one-sided response. Also, I realize (which is why I'm considering both) that the Viper I'm looking at is a 94, and a possible Z06 or base convertible is likely to be a 2004 C5 (will be staying in the mid-20s for price). So with that said, I understand the homerun Dodge hit in terms of building a car GM took 10 years to match. I understand too that there are a lot of comparrisons online, problem being they don't address the 94 RT10, but tend to focus for the most part on similar model year comparisons. My considerations are these (keep in mind my heart says Viper but my head says Vette): Will the torque in the Viper surpass my ability if I'm not 100% focused on the car and cause the front and rear to switch places? Is my wife whose sports car experience is limited to my 86 RX7 back in college and more recently a Z3 going to wreck this thing if she drives it (not a slam on women drivers, just my wife's abilities!)? Will the Vette, especially the base convertible with an automatic, be more pleasurable to her? What are members' experiences with longer 5+ hour trips in the Viper? Feel like you'd been physically thru the ringer when you get to your destination, or more focused on the joy in losing track of all the people who gave you a thumbs-up? I'd imagine some members have had both, I'd like to hear your thoughts on each.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok well if its gonna be your only car !! daily driver etc go with the vette but if you will be a weekend warior with exotic looks get stopped buy hundreds of people who just want a pic of your car .. cause accidents when your not even moving etc etc etc go with the best viper ever built gen 1 viper!!!!!!!!!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the torque in the Viper surpass my ability if I'm not 100% focused on the car and cause the front and rear to switch places?
Absolutely! Especially the tq GEN 1 generates combined with the unforgiving (but fun) suspension...

Is my wife whose sports car experience is limited to my 86 RX7 back in college and more recently a Z3 going to wreck this thing if she drives it (not a slam on women drivers, just my wife's abilities!)?
No, unless she hammers it in a corner. Its a docile beast, until you nail it. kind of like driving a Dodge Minivan with JATO rockets on the roof.

Will the Vette, especially the base convertible with an automatic, be more pleasurable to her?
Absolutely, Yes. (but it is a Vette, not a Viper)

What are members' experiences with longer 5+ hour trips in the Viper?
Fun as hell... Not enjoyable, but fun....:D

If you are like most of the people and enjoy calm, peaceful driving with light wind in your hair and spiritual conversations while driving, take the vette. Thats what most people do.
If you prefer cars like AC Cobra and are willing to sacrifice conversations and want to DRIVE a car.... Well, you have found it.
2222NewViperPic2Large.jpg

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok well if its gonna be your only car !! daily driver etc go with the vette but if you will be a weekend warior with exotic looks get stopped buy hundreds of people who just want a pic of your car .. cause accidents when your not even moving etc etc etc go with the best viper ever built gen 1 viper!!!!!!!!!

See Roger, I even attached a YELLOW one for you!!!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'nuf said....but...

The early viper is not a DD!! It really is a very basic, unrefined car reminiscent of the 60's "other snake" (Cobra)... That said, It totally kicks A$$ to drive and is a serious eye catcher!

Gen 1 vipers leak in the rain even with a hard top(not too bad but still ... well, maybe pretty bad!!) Uhhh ...bring extra towels. Uhh, You will not want to take it out in bad weather! It was designed to be a ******* car after all. Would you take your '65 Cobra out in the rain?

If you don't feel like you need to "have" one leave it for someone who does!!!

My .02

BTW, I've had several gen 1s and LOVE 'em !!...nothing like it!

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, it's so cool that these cars are now affordable to buy just to drive!!

DO NOT MAKE IT A GARAGE QUEEN, Buy it and drive it. Guys like me bought these things years ago to have as ornaments!!?? hahahahahahah

OP
OP
T

TDRHawkeye

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn't a daily driver (I live in Iowa for God sakes!) to it'll be in the stable next to an FJ TRD Edition and a Tahoe LTZ. But in the summer months and/or nice days? I'll drive the wheels off of her!

V

Venomiss

This isn't a daily driver (I live in Iowa for God sakes!) to it'll be in the stable next to an FJ TRD Edition and a Tahoe LTZ. But in the summer months and/or nice days? I'll drive the wheels off of her!
Welcome.
Have you or your wife driven any of the cars you are considering?

Do you or your wife like attention in a car?

For comfort and driving factors get the Vette. Many on these boards own both.
For challenge me and look at me factors try the Viper.

CR. Know it well.;)

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once the better half sees all the attention the Viper gets from other females she may not let you drive it unless she's with you at all times! The Vette won't get any looks. They're a dime a dozen no matter what engine mods or body mods, wheels, etc you do to it. Makes a good DD tho. Been there, done that. Get the Viper and have a ball!

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
none of your issues are any reason to not get the viper!! the only thing that will get you on a 5 hour drive is the noise...i bought mine 12 hours away and drove it home and my ears were ringing for two days...i loved every second though!!! and when i'm out driving mine...i absolutely have a ball!!

buy the viper, it will not blend in like the vette does!

all of driving issues can be handeled by taking it easy the first few months of ownership!

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its for your wife, get the Vette. based on what you said about her driving abilities. If its for you, get the Viper.

You can get a vette with an auto tranny, can't do that with a viper.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken my Viper down to FL several times and its usually 5-6 hour trip. Each time I get to where I'm staying, I get out the car and breath a sigh of relief that I'm out of the car. I go in, throw my luggage on the bed, relax for maybe 15 mins, and go hop right back in the car. A comment that I made the 1st day and have heard from many 1st time passengers is "this thing is more comfortable than I planned on".

As for probability of wrecking it, all I can say is respect the torque and be 110% sure you have it pointed straight before jumping on the gas!! I came from a 141HP Mitsubishi Eclipse (maybe 160 with my mods :D ), so 415HP/488ft./tq was a slight upgrade. Just take your time and get to know the car and don't try to impress anyone with it until you have a feel for the car and its abilities (and your limits).

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never really had an issue with the torque. It is there, respect it, don't stomp on the gas with the steering wheel turned like one would in a Civic. Make sure that the tires are not old. Tires get less grippy with age and you can't judge that by poking them to see how soft they are. Very important with a Viper and a lead foot.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TDRHawkeye... Hey man, we are nieghbors and I have a Gen1 1995. If you would like, we could get together and I could share the experiences I have had with a Viper in eastern Iowa. It is a little different than most as Vipers are very few and far between around here.

PM me and let me know.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
....and by the way.... would'nt trade the Viper experience for anything!! Of all the cars I have had and currently have, it is by far the most exciting!!

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My wife has a 95' RT-10 and she loves it. It is not as refined as the vette but a lot more fun to drive. She takes it out with our 4 year old daughter on club runs.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TDRhawkeye--I had a gen 1--1992-1995 for eight years. What an experience we had with it, however, no windows, door locks, and a convertible top that takes too long to assemble made me long for a coupe. That being said, you should really look at getting a gen 2. Much more refined especially when it starts to rain. We had been caught several times without the hardtop in the rain, but on the positive side, we met some nice people under the bridge waiting for the rain to pass. Mostly bikers.

Every will want to ask questions to you and the car will make you feel like the mayor, or in a parade. Draws a lot of attention.

The prices are so low now, that a gen 2 would be a good deal.

Not picking on gen 1's, I would love to have mine back.

Oh yeh TDRhawkeye--don't listen to Chuck 98, he's a meanie.

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my take on this.....

I live in the Northeast. I have a 95 RT/10 that doesn't get much use in the winter months....But here's the thing.....

Because you won't be able to use the Viper as much as the Vette everytime you get in the Viper you'll smile from ear to ear. Without exception...EVERY SINGLE TIME I get in this car and start driving I fall in love with it all over again.

My wife absolutley loves watching the faces of on coming motorists as they recognize a car that people RARELY if EVER see on the roads. Kids scream and point...Parents stop you at every gas station and ask questions.

My final point.....

I have a very good friend who owned a beautiful 2003 Vette. I used his lift one day to change the oil in my Viper....Since he helped me out, I thought it only fair that I let him do a little driving in the Viper. We headed out on the road and he could NOT BELIEVE the attention this car draws. He LOVED EVERY minute of it. Bottom line....

Next week his Vette was on Craigslist and the hunt was on for a Viper. He finally got one about 3 months later and he says it was the best thing he ever did. No one notices Vettes..Nice cars don't get me wrong, but a dime a dozen.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the '08 Viper and an '08 Paddle-shifting Corvette w/Z06 Exhaust...there are reasons why I wanted the paddle-shifting Corvette...but IN NO WAY do these cars compare. One simply cannot compare them. The VIPER, as I have always said, is a DRIVERS' car...the DRIVER is in TOTAL control of EVERY aspect of this BEAST...THAT's the best part about it...RAWBEAST is our plate.
We've also had a Z06...traded it in for an '05 Black Viper Vert. I can attest to the paddle-shifting Vette being an enjoyable ride, but I also take off the TC and ESC, but nice to know they are there.
If your wife prefers a car that has some semblance of 'nanny' controls, she'd love the paddle-shifting Vette...436hp...plenty powerful enough...I pull the fuse for the Z06 exhaust...sounds great...again, NOTHING compares to the 2008 VIPER though. Best of luck...juli

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 1st viper last year, its a 1994 with only 7000 miles on it. My wife and I love the car, but when I brought it home and she sat in it, her feet couldnt reach the pedals. You didnt say how tall your wife is but, if she is 5' 2"or less she would have a little trouble driving it, not mention strong enough to push the clutch in. Just my 2 cents worth.

Curt

Attachments

• 2005_0216VIPER0013.JPG
    2005_0216VIPER0013.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 8

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, the 96 GTS and later GTSs had a pedal adjuster to bring the whole set-up forward and/or back. The 97 and later RT/10s had this set-up also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper