My first dyno pull with the '08 SSG...

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I posted this in the dyno graph area of the forum yesterday, but I just scanned in the graph today so I thought I'd post it here too:

For those who don't know...I just picked up a SSG (w/ black stripes) 2008 SRT-10 Viper last week. It is completely bone stock down the original paper air filter with 13K miles on the clock. We had a nice day here in St. Louis today, so I headed to a local dyno center which was hosting a small dyno day. My best pull netted the following results:

HP: 548.06
TQ: 527.82
11.93 AFR at 6400 RPM
All runs made on a Dynojet Dyno

The tech who made the pulls said that my tach was off by about 200-300 RPM on the high end and that it felt like it was hitting the rev limiter up top. Do these Vipers have a rev limiter and, if so, what RPM do they kick in?

Overall, I was counting on a 15% drivetrain loss and was therefore expecting 510 HP or so prior to making the runs so 548 made me quite happy. Any others have some numbers for comparison purposes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! I was pretty pleased with it. Like I said, I didn't really know what to expect but I was figuring around 510-520 or so. I don't have any immediate plans to mod it just yet, but perhaps one day. More than anything I just wanted to have a baseline to compare back to. Thanks again!

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great #rs maybe with the higher miles the engine is making more hp,my 08 ssg vert did 518 rwhp with about 1000 miles on the motor.congrats on the great #rs ,looks like you got a great car

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe they DO gain power as they get a few more miles on them, eh?!? :) Thanks to all for the comments. Any thoughts, ideas or better yet...actual facts...on the factory RPM rev limiter question?

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know Gen. Is have a rev limiter, but I don't remember where it kicks in. I'd be willing to bet the Gen. IVs do too.

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new VCA member/owner and I just did a Dyno on my 2008 convertible 08 today throught the SoCal Viper Club. We did 3 runs and the best run showed:

Max HP 561.61
Max Torque: 527.90

I have 700 miles on the car.
The Temp was 87.0 F, pressure 30.09 in-Hg, Humidity 6%.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well SR, it sounds like my numbers aren't far off the mark then. Very nice HP numbers, but you just had to beat me by .08 in torque, didn't ya?!?!? :) Haha! Congrats!

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice numbers. A little higher than I thought as well . Looks like you are not wasting anytime enjoying the car.

nice numbers...you AF was better than mine. I was at 11.0-11.2 way to fat for a NA car!!!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
once u get 50k on the car or better(being that the motor aint thrashed) that motor will scream its best,a sham some dont reach that k- nice and smooth flowing engine. those motors love the miles!put them on ladys and gents-for the worst thing u can do is let them sit.:drive::)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I posted this in the dyno graph area of the forum yesterday, but I just scanned in the graph today so I thought I'd post it here too:

For those who don't know...I just picked up a SSG (w/ black stripes) 2008 SRT-10 Viper last week. It is completely bone stock down the original paper air filter with 13K miles on the clock. We had a nice day here in St. Louis today, so I headed to a local dyno center which was hosting a small dyno day. My best pull netted the following results:

HP: 548.06
TQ: 527.82
11.93 AFR at 6400 RPM
All runs made on a Dynojet Dyno

The tech who made the pulls said that my tach was off by about 200-300 RPM on the high end and that it felt like it was hitting the rev limiter up top. Do these Vipers have a rev limiter and, if so, what RPM do they kick in?

Overall, I was counting on a 15% drivetrain loss and was therefore expecting 510 HP or so prior to making the runs so 548 made me quite happy. Any others have some numbers for comparison purposes?
they start to turn to monsters @ about 4k rpm or so,nice to see a ssg here in st lou- another note is depending on the dyno and driver at dyno-results will be all diff-but not too diff- u have to average it out.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im pretty sure on my gen2 the limiter was at 7100 rpms. and there is NO reason whatsoever to go that high.....ever

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fun motors indeed! You've got to love having 425 ft/lbs of torque at your disposal at only 2000 RPM!

My first run netted 541 HP with about the same torque, so it seems like the numbers were fairly reproducible. If I was to make some mods and try again, of course I would try to keep as many variables as possible the same in terms of the dyno used, dyno operator, weather conditions, etc....

bluesrt: Are you fairly involved with Viper get-togethers in the St. Louis area? If so, keep me in the loop when you hear of an event going on. I'd love to get either the '97 or the '08 out for something that.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fun motors indeed! You've got to love having 425 ft/lbs of torque at your disposal at only 2000 RPM!

My first run netted 541 HP with about the same torque, so it seems like the numbers were fairly reproducible. If I was to make some mods and try again, of course I would try to keep as many variables as possible the same in terms of the dyno used, dyno operator, weather conditions, etc....

bluesrt: Are you fairly involved with Viper get-togethers in the St. Louis area? If so, keep me in the loop when you hear of an event going on. I'd love to get either the '97 or the '08 out for something that.
u bet! pm me and i will give u my phone # lots of really neat people here with vipers in st lou-allways wanting to meet new people

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are any of these numbers corrected?

very impressive if they are.

J

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new VCA member/owner and I just did a Dyno on my 2008 convertible 08 today throught the SoCal Viper Club. We did 3 runs and the best run showed:

Max HP 561.61
Max Torque: 527.90

I have 700 miles on the car.
The Temp was 87.0 F, pressure 30.09 in-Hg, Humidity 6%.

This dyno seemed to show higher numbers that DC's dynojet.

After I saw SR's run I thought I might get to 600 w/belangers full system and a K&N and 3K miles on the motor, 586.99 HP 550.12 Torque. Temp was 89 F, 3 cars later. Maybe with the mopar computer, and a little cooler, 600 HP on this same dyno?

ViperX are you out there? What did you pull??

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With ~4,000 miles on new '08 Coupe, I put up 533 HP and 503 TQ as a baseline last year. I expect more this year as engine is definitely looser (currently 7,500 miles) and car is noticeably faster. Your results are awesome - probably in the top 10% of all '08s posted - and a new benchmark for me.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow strong #rs when i was at dc the 08 with belangers did high 550s at the wheels

Adam, I was thinking hopefully 560 w/belangers on mine. When I saw SR's stocker do 561 then I thought maybe 590's to 600? I'm thinking Stack's dyno is about 30 hp more than DC's Mike

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Check my write up on our local board.

I agree that Stack's dyno is a bit higher than DC's in ground dyno but we had an unusual day with the Santa Ana winds, though temps were high 80's to low 90's, humidity was only 6%. Also, Stack was not using SAE correction factors.

Keep in mind that DC also has another dyno that hooks directly up to your rear wheel studs (wheels removed). You get a much higher number this way (See above dyno report - CC Brian for example - those are not rolling chassis dyno numbers and should have an asterisk beside them for comparison purposes).

We've now seen dyno numbers out west on stock 2008's from 505 to 561 rwhp on rolling chassis dynos.

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235