So, you want a VOI 11 right?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, there was quite a few tables at V0I 11 filled with Pacific Northwesters. My mileage for the Viper dive was 6,300 mi. Since our group of 6 Vipers and a trailer we drove for 10 hr periods each day. On our way home we stopped at Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore, Pioneer Auto Museum, etc.

The V0I was great, but the driving trips were awesome as well. We got rained out at Milan drag strip although we did some 'improptu' drifting there. Everyone from the westcoast had a blast, although 20 people from Wstrn Cda flew to V0I 11.

I don't think that V0I should be in the same place twice. Move it around and it'll attract new faces, cars and events. The best driving on the continent is, of course, driving through the mountains. Driving across the flat featureless prairies was pretty boring though.

That's why I suggested the Pacific Northwest. I've run the tracks at Portland, Seattle, Phoneix and Mission and like them all. Hotels are everywhere and the closest Hotels to the track would be Portland or Mission.

Driving to these locations would be at least as good as the V0I because of the roads and scenery. Rally's and Poker runs could be set up so that the "non-track people" would still compete (sort of) and have a blast at the speed limit. All of BC is mountainous and the roads are 85% 2 lane blacktop. Many of these highways have hairpin corners and that makes driving exciting. Some sightseeing tours could be set up depending on the uniqueness of each place. People could see the Lava tubes outside of Portland, Ore. Mt. St. Helens volcano, "Emerald city" or the Ski Mountains 15 minutes drive from Downtown Vancouver.

Detroit was great because of the Viper plant. Yah, the city sucked, the driving in the area was boring and not much scenery, except the Boat Cruise sort of made up for that.

As said in many of the posts, the V0I should be about the people and the Cars.

Ted

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coloviper

Your statement is rubbsh... In fact it just about pissed me off when I read it.

Detroit in my opinion was the best VOI to date.

I had the time of my life the only VOI that comes close is Indy.

Not only did you offend the Michigan owners you offended me as well and I'm in VEGAS.

Go to a VOI and comment on a VOI before making such b/s statements.

I have never been to a VOI event before. I just missed the Vegas VOI as I bought my Viper well after the show and did not know anything about it. Sorry the Viper may have been born in Michigan but there was just no way in hell I was going to Detroit for anything but maybe a brief Red Wings game. In my mind, they dropped the ball big time by picking Detroit as the location, but that is just my opinion and everyone has one. (No offense Michigan owners)

I agree with RTTTTed Detroit as a city does ****, the roads are a mess, BUT how many times in your lifetime will you have a chance to drive your SNAKE at the Chelsea proing grounds at almost top speed, or.... be able to spend a couple of hours at CAAP or..... see a naked viper run...... or JIMMY!

Coloviper you missed the boat buddy..... that's just my .02

Last edited:

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a suggestion....

Why not have the next VOI be totally different than all the others.

Have a cross country VOI and make it a 3000 mile rally like the Gumball 3000 :drive:

Last edited:

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as a moderator, i know i am suppose to keep things on a positive note, but chris, if you truly dont mind me giving my input on the raffle vehicle, then i will offer it. as mentioned before by another member somewhere, to me it looks like someone simply took an unsold VOI car, slapped a wing on it, a few aero other pieces, and a sticker. and as much as i would like to win a free viper of any kind for a couple hundred bucks, to me the car just doesnt have any pizazz. granted, the car is a signed ACR and all, and it would be a great car to win, i find myself missing the days when the raffle cars were really UNIQUE.

these cars were DIFFERENT. they really stood out, and if i remember right these raffles sold out FAST.

lets do something REALLY UNIQUE next time!

100% agree. We need real unique raffle cars that can't be bought at your local dealer. Now I understand this gets harder to accomplish with all the features available now on new Vipers. And more more thing, don't offer up a one-of-kind color and follow it up the next year with the same color in production.

Maybe it's me, but I like unique cars - one of my Vipers is a raffle car (02 Blue GTS ACR - only one made in that combo) and one is a custom build street legal Competition Coupe

Last edited by a moderator:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a suggestion....

Why not have the next VOI be totally different that all the others.

Have a cross country VOI and make it a 3000 mile rally like the Gumball 3000

Interesting...

YOu might lose quite a few folks as you come accross their towns...BUT you would also gain a lot as you go through town to...very interesting idea...wonder how insurance plays a role in that? However, we are talking about a couple of weeks...

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said. The chance that I will make all of the Central Texas events during the Spring Fall and Winter are darn good. Congrats to Ryan Fox (Got One) and his lovely significant other for putting together this tirade of year long fun minus the hot Summer hiatus.

But to pack the car, pack a suit and travel halfway across the country for stuff I don't even do here in Texas? What for?

Thanks Dave! Dave...what was your cost at the Round Up? ;)

I'll post a video of the round up later next week so you can see for yourself how a very casual event can be fun (you would be hard pressed to find anyone over the last 3 years who didn't have a blast...but so far, cost to the Texas clubs to have over 70 cars over a 3 day weekend was less than $3000. And I could easily do it again for 5 times that amount of cars that with only some logistical help of volunteers. but i'll post more once i get the video up and show why Texas might be another good place (along with other places in the US).

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a suggestion....

Why not have the next VOI be totally different that all the others.

Have a cross country VOI and make it a 3000 mile rally like the Gumball 3000

I like that idea a lot. Instead of a race, let's make it a rally ... like Bullrun. Get some TV station to come along and make a DVD and movie. Have competitions every night unique to each town we stop at --- NO DIRT though!

We could call it Viperrun

Ted

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This would probably be a fairly inexpensive idea for the VCA and other sponsors.

This would also get just about every chapter involved.

Start in Seattle work down to CA thru Vegas, Phoenix San Antonio Houston Northern FL then up the East Coast then west to Chicago and work down to Oklahoma and end it right smack in the middle of the US. Have each chapter host a day or two as we move across the US we can pick up members along the way and when you're tired you can simply go home.

I don't think it would take two weeks but if it did so what have fun you only live once!

I was keeping this to myself for a while and was very hesitant to post this idea but what the heck, it doesn’t seem anyone is happy with any VOI suggestion so I had to throw this in..

The more I think about it the more I like the idea.

I bet the press would be all over it since it's going to be a nation wide event.

VIPER NATION VOI-11 "USA" :usa:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea of doing a cross country rally is absurd. It sounds like it could be fun but you could never get enough people to get involved even if you could get insurance. Don't forget that even traveling rally type events have costs often larger than a VOI to participants.

It sounds like many of you that are making comments about how or what you would do, have never put on a large scale event. There are many more headaches other than the obvious. The biggest headache is the VCA members for sure. Everybody wants something different and you can never get everyone to agree on anything.

BTW xlrashn, VOI 10 was the first VOI have have been to that didn't involve a drive day of some sort. I believe that was in part because of the grandprix event.

I agree with the idea of looking for more sponsors. Thats one thing I never understood about VOIs. Why not invite and encourage more vendors and suppliers to come to the event??? In my opinion the VCA and Dodge have done a terrible job at marketing 'viper stuff'. At VOI 11 when we left the CAAP everyone had bags full of stuff from the store and then at the hotel garage everyone bought even more stuff from the vendors there, one Vegas member even bought a comp coupe on the spot because he saw it there in person. VCA members can never seem to get enough Viper branded stuff. Why aren't more of the items from CAAP store available online??? We're looking to raise money.... well theres a great way for the VCA to make money, SELL STUFF. It doesn't really even matter what it is just so long as it has a viper logo on it:D

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeffrey and Robert

That's exactly what they said about Gumball a few years back.

Absurd? I don't think so...

Remember everything starts with an idea, so far 3 to 1 not bad. I'll take the 66% (so far) any day.

You're right about one thing NO ONE can agree to anything. But that's the only thing you're right about.

Each chapter along the way can do something small and informal.

By the way I was sitting next to the guy that bought that green comp coupe at VOI-X when they started doing the deal.

Since they looked like they wanted to do a private deal Marco and I went back to my car and talked for a while.

The idea of doing a cross country rally is absurd. It sounds like it could be fun but you could never get enough people to get involved even if you could get insurance. Don't forget that even traveling rally type events have costs often larger than a VOI to participants.

It sounds like many of you that are making comments about how or what you would do, have never put on a large scale event. There are many more headaches other than the obvious. The biggest headache is the VCA members for sure. Everybody wants something different and you can never get everyone to agree on anything.

BTW xlrashn, VOI 10 was the first VOI have have been to that didn't involve a drive day of some sort. I believe that was in part because of the grandprix event.

I agree with the idea of looking for more sponsors. Thats one thing I never understood about VOIs. Why not invite and encourage more vendors and suppliers to come to the event??? In my opinion the VCA and Dodge have done a terrible job at marketing 'viper stuff'. At VOI 11 when we left the CAAP everyone had bags full of stuff from the store and then at the hotel garage everyone bought even more stuff from the vendors there, one Vegas member even bought a comp coupe on the spot because he saw it there in person. VCA members can never seem to get enough Viper branded stuff. Why aren't more of the items from CAAP store available online??? We're looking to raise money.... well theres a great way for the VCA to make money, SELL STUFF. It doesn't really even matter what it is just so long as it has a viper logo on it:D

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insurance for WHAT? Driving across the country on public roads uses your personal insurance right? This ain't a track event, this proposed Viperun.

Unfortunately, as soon as any organization got involved with it (e.g., VCA), they would be "responsible" for it and have to have insurance for it, e.g., in case some nut named Dave was there and plowed his Viper through an elementary school full of children while claiming he was "following the line".

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there was quite a few tables at V0I 11 filled with Pacific Northwesters. ... Everyone from the westcoast had a blast, although 20 people from Wstrn Cda flew to V0I 11.

What? Are you from the future? You already attended VOI11?!?! :lmao:

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% agree. We need real unique raffle cars that can't be bought at your local dealer. Now I understand this gets harder to accomplish with all the features available now on new Vipers. And more more thing, don't offer up a one-of-kind color and follow it up the next year with the same color in production.

Maybe it's me, but I like unique cars - one of my Vipers is a raffle car (02 Blue GTS ACR - only one made in that combo) and one is a custom build street legal Competition Coupe

Yeah, let us know when you see one of these at the dealership - NOT gonna happen!!

Click here to print and fax your ticket order today!

rafacr1.jpg

rafacr2.jpg

rafacr3.jpg

rafacr4.jpg

rafacr5.jpg

rafacr6.jpg

rafacr7.jpg

rafacr8.jpg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Because the 1 of 1 raffle pays most of the VCA costs and would make money needed for any Nat. event?

I still like the idea of a Viperrun. As said earlier it may not have 400+ Vipers taking place for any one stretch of highway or state, but I would guess that 1,000 Vipers may participate if it started in Kelwona (or Vancouver) BC.

At VOI X it looked like the highest number of entrants were the one that lived closest. Only about 40 people and 10 Vipers from Wstrn Cda and Washington clubs, but we were there! 1 table from England, 1 from Sweden, as well as German and Japanese contigents? With an event that covers the entire continent it would probably have the most entrants, although many would only drive a single leg of the journey.

Ted

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted you'll be surprised how many people would go from one side of the US to the other for such an event.

I did it twice last summer from Oregon to Detroit and back not once but twice to attend VOI-X. Total milage was around 10k miles for both round trips @ 5+ a gallon for diesel. In some places diesel was over $6 on a truck that gets about 8 MPG loaded. :omg:

I would do it all over again I had a great time... :drive:

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I enjoyed your thread on the splitter, skid plates, diffuser.

Can you make a splitter using carbon fiber?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was surprised that there wasn't more driving their Vipers to Detroit from the West Coast to VOI X. Joe Christopherson rebuilt a 69 Ford F250 and bought a 40' enclosed trailer. He got 7mpg driving his rig. I got the worst mileage (because of my tune and sc?) at 19.7mpg. Dan had a new '08 Viper and he got slightly better than 22mpg. Everyone else had a stock Viper and got mileage between mine and Dan's. But there was only 6 of us going east and only 5 cruisin' back west.

You must be registered for see images

We all had a blast though.

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as soon as any organization got involved with it (e.g., VCA), they would be "responsible" for it and have to have insurance for it, e.g., in case some nut named Dave was there and plowed his Viper through an elementary school full of children while claiming he was "following the line".

One of the conditions of my parole is that I stay at least 500 feet from a school. I don't want to go back to prison for taking the Viper to detention.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can't even get Vipers to follow in a line in a short run forget about cross country.:rolaugh: But where ever or what ever VOI 11 is I will be there and 100% committed.

Triplexotica.....there is a very cool feature on the VCA forums that allows members to send "private messages" to each other. ;)Its great when you might want to ask another member a question that has nothing to do with a given thread:rolleyes:
And I'm not sure why you felt we needed to know your proximity to Steve Dana when he was discussing the purchase of the CC????:dunno:

RTTTED..... We drove there and back but not with any group since we drove non-stop and thats too much for most people. Vegas to Detroit in one shot:D we couldn't wait to get to VOI X

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like you just left late. I drove this Viper from Ohio straight through to Kelowna in 2 days with just a few hours stop for sleep, but the wife sort of HATES that, so we took days and days. Much more interesting travelling with a half dozen others, radios and taking turns deciding who leads the speeding goup. Paul and I had the best radar detectors I think.

But driving straight through does get you there fast :)

Ted

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really it was the only way I could manage to go without taking too much time off work. I would have rather gone with a group but I dont like stoppping much on long drives either.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will probably get roundly trashed, but how about something more inclusive --- an SRTOI (or some such name)?

Since it appears Dodge is dumping the Viper and the associated monetary support, why not broaden the scope to include all SRT vehicles (which, of course, includes non-SRT Vipers). Chris's post sounds a bit scary for the future of the VOI, but including a broader scope could accomplish the following:

1. More people, more dollars.
2. Maybe Dodge will again throw some dollars toward an SRT event that sells cars. Again, more dollars.
3. Work with Dodge to change the rules to make the SRT Experience a part of the SRTOI, and eliminate all the SRT Experiences across the country. Again, more dollars for Dodge in savings.

Most Viper owners like the SRT line, and vice versa. I know a lot of purists will hate this idea, but life is all about change, especially now.

Shoot away.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't give up on Corporate sponsorship yet. Obviously the close association with Chrysler has benefited both the car, customers and corporation. Since even Cerebus sponsored the VOI while they were doing cutbacks I'm sure the VCA is appreciated and it seems that nearly all the advertising has been done by us the last decade or so.

Even if Viper does sell, I don't understand why the new owners wouldn't want to enhance and improve what's already in place. Next year the Viper needs to pump up the hp to 650bhp to get "King of Power" title back. I mean King of Normally Aspirated is good, but KING of all is better.

Ted