So, you want a VOI 11 right?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick note to all that we already have a couple feelers out for VOI 11 next year. Locations are being discussed based on hotels, track facilities, and costs. Which brings us to a very important point: As the Viper platform is up for sale and it seems likely it will have a different owner yet this year, we have no idea what level of support (if any) a new owner might have for a VOI. Traditionally the manufacturer has spent millions of dollars to underwrite each VOI. Right now it appears that there is a good chance that the VCA may need to pick up a much larger portion of the VOI 11 tab. While it is virtually impossible for us to even remotely consider spending seven figures (several years of Treasury), we think we can put on a heck of an event - equal to or possibly better than years past. If we want to secure hotels, tracks, and other venues for VOI 11 we will have to come up with deposits in the next six months. Likewise for planning, designs, and merchandise.

So while we have promised a VOI 11 and will follow through on the promise no matter what, the level of that event is going to fall to you. We really don't want to host VOI at my house even though we have plenty of parking across the street and there is a go-kart track nearby. ;) We would much rather have VOI in a great location with awesome hotels, a fantastic track, and scenic drives - and we suspect you would too.

And two other quick notes: Unlike previous VOI's where non-VCA members were invited, if the VCA picks up most of the tab on VOI 11 then we will most certainly restrict the event to VCA Members only. So if you are a Viper Owner that has yet to enjoy all the other great VCA Member benefits, please join the club and help support VOI 11 - you may not be invited otherwise.

Thanks for your support,

Chris Marshall, President
Marv Spatz, Vice President
Lee Stubberfield, Treasurer
Bobby Cerchione, Secretary

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id love to join VCA but i dont ever see me using any of their benefits, specially since a lot of their main events are super far from me.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id love to join VCA but i dont ever see me using any of their benefits, specially since a lot of their main events are super far from me.
Local club isn't local to you? Don't sweat it. Even if you never attend a single event, you get plenty of great benefits such as:
  • VIPER magazine subscription - a greatly glossy magazine published quarterly
  • VCA Notes - the club newsletter with lots of great info, also quarterly
  • Eligibility to enter the VCA raffles, featuring some spectacular Vipers that you can win
  • $1,000,000 liability insurance at official VCA events
  • Access to exclusive VCA merchandise, apparel, and much more
  • Exclusive offers such as our Monroney window sticker replacement program
  • Great discounts from supporting vendors like Woodhouse Dodge, Viper Days, and many, many more
  • Liaison to the manufacturer for outstanding support and information
  • The very latest Viper news from SRT
  • And much, much more!
But wait, that's not all! You will get immediate and recognizable benefits right here on the VCA forums when you join the club. Here is a list of the different forum categories and the privileges of each one:

Enthusiast & Viper Owner
(unpaid guests)
  • Posting privileges in general Viper forums only
  • Unable to view or post in VCA Member forum
  • Unable to post in the VCA Regional forums
  • Unable to post in the Grail Trail (Herb Helbig) forum
  • Unable to post in VCA Viper Events and Gatherings forum
  • Unable to have an avatar
  • Unable to post a signature
  • Unable to view actual content in Illustrated Upgrades
  • Gallery privileges up to 3 MB of uploads
  • Up to 100 Private Messages allowed
  • Classified ad posting of $30 per ad
As you can see, a "Viper Owner" has no more benefits than an "Enthusiast" - not one. Not bad mind you, but not NEARLY as much as a VCA Member receives:

VCA Member (paid members)
  • Posting privileges in all general Viper Forums
  • Posting & viewing privileges in VCA Members forum
  • Posting privileges in VCA Regional forums
  • Posting privileges in VCA Viper Events and Gatherings forum
  • Posting privileges in the Grail Trail (Herb Helbig) forum
  • Ability to upload and display personal avatar (Vipers only please)
  • Ability to write and use personal signature for all posts
  • Ability to see all content in Illustrated Upgrades
  • Gallery privileges up to 500 MB of uploads
  • Up to 5000 Private Messages allowed
  • FREE Classified ad posting
  • Access to exclusive SRT merchandise in VCA Members forum
  • Future exclusives such as VCA private auctions, online renewals, and much more!
Elect the VENOM option and you get a spiffy color-coordinated VENOM tag plus some other additional benefits.

We would be delighted to have you as a member and know it is well worth the money!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>if the VCA picks up most of the tab on VOI 11 then we will most certainly restrict the event to VCA Members only.<<<

I understand your position here - but, I dont share it.

VOI's have always been VIPER OWNERS INVITATIONALS.

You better name it different.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vancouver? Seattle? Portland?

It's our turn, lol. Several of us drove to Detroit and back last summer ...

Ted

certs_210

Viper Owner
Reaction score
>>>if the VCA picks up most of the tab on VOI 11 then we will most certainly restrict the event to VCA Members only.<<<

VOI's have always been VIPER OWNERS INVITATIONALS.

You better name it different.

I'm not a VCA member yet (applied last week), but just a thought if it comes to the VCA footing the bill...

How about all owners are invited, but attendance costs depend on membership? If non-members were charged an extra, say $300 per person to attend the VOI, maybe it would increase membership applications :dunno:

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris-
Already got the winning tickets! (I can win more than one prize right?)

How about a separate Forum for VCAVOI 11?
Time seems right and a potential place for good ideas to be kicked around.
Your call if it's members only or not.
I liked the idea of the up charge for non-members.

PBR

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Traditionally the manufacturer has spent millions of dollars to underwrite each VOI. Right now it appears that there is a good chance that the VCA may need to pick up a much larger portion of the VOI 11 tab. "

Chris, what costs are payed for by the underwriter that aren't covered by registration costs? Could the VOI possibly be run based on what is collected from registration dollars?

I attend a yearly event with the corvette club where we do an HPDE, drag race, autocross, etc and all is payed for by registration money.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
may i suggest this - if ticket sales are down, maybe we need to find out whether or not its just the economy? maybe there are other issues? if there are other issues, maybe we need to find out what they are so we can fix them? if we cant openly discuss it we will never be able to solve the problem(s) and fix them. (assuming of course they exist at all).

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one huge cost that I would suggest that we cut from the budget for VOI 11 is the absurd sums of money that are spent with companies like the one I work for. At VOI 9 in Las Vegas, Freeman Decorating (the company I work for) was hired to set-up the ballrooms at the Venetian. I assume a similar company, maybe Champion,GES,or ExpoGroup did the same thing at VOI 10 in Detroit. All the banners, drapes, set-pieces, tables (non-dinning), and all the $$$$labor$$$$ is provided by a very expensive company. We charge a standard rate of around $70 per hour. more if its OT weekends, or equipment is used. Something like $80 for a table rental. As much as I like my job, I know its a huge cost that can be avoided easily.

And I love seeing all the banners and advertising at the VOIs but another huge cost that could be cut without hurting the event.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can count me in for big help if its in Vegas again.:2tu: Everybody loves the adult playground;). besides how many places have a NASCAR speedway, NHRA dragstrip, and SCCA autocross in one location with great hotels big enough to accommodate everyone less then 30min away? Don't forget the new Pahrump "Mountain Springs" track less than 1hr away:drive:. I wouldn't mind going somewhere else but it is hard to find anywhere else that has the track options Vegas has. Plus I can get some great entertainment for the banquet.:2tu:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm...Vegas doesn't sound bad, but I've heard Dallas was a lot of fun. We had 70+ Viper's for just one weekend in the Texas Viper Round-Up, and with hotel, I'm thinking we spent $400 for one awesome weekend. I'm sure the VCA could hook something up for us this year! :)

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vegas has the facilities... well and its Vegas.

Texas also has a lot of facilities and its very central in the US. That may help more people attend if there not having to go clear across the country.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the original subject, Venom upgraded this year, raffle tickets ordered..... Now my question comes as: Is there anything else the VCA members as a whole can do to help with VOI funding or even the VCA treasury? Sending funds the VCA's way is one way, but is there something else the membership as a whole can do that may inevitably save the National VCA money? If there is a way, saving money in the end is as good as being sent more. To butcher a quote: Ask not what your VCA can do for you, but what you can do for your VCA! ;)

On the other official subject to this thread, having planned MANY tradeshows all over NA, we have found that for attendance, cost, and availability of anything, Vegas does make a great destination. However, with our current economy, I would also say there should be many locations that would love to host an event of this size due to the income stream for that city. Hotels have great deals, catering companies are slow, etc. I think if alot of searching is done, it may be one of the most cost effective VOI's yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, we "cleaned up" this thread a little bit as per the request of one of the more interested parties. Here were my previous replies and new one for Mopar Boy's most recent post:

No worries, it is all conjecture at this point. We like the pricing ideas suggested further down (and quoted below)...

Vancouver? Seattle? Portland?

It's our turn, lol. Several of us drove to Detroit and back last summer ...
Duly noted. West of the Mississippi is certainly a possibility... :2tu:

How about all owners are invited, but attendance costs depend on membership? If non-members were charged an extra, say $300 per person to attend the VOI, maybe it would increase membership applications :dunno:
EXCELLENT idea! Many may recall that the VCA provided a $55 per person discount for VOI 10 - the idea being that a couple would get $110 of their $115 annual dues back in the form of a discount. While still far too early to determine costs/pricing, it makes perfect sense to provide discounts commensurate with the dues paid.

How about a separate Forum for VCAVOI 11?
Time seems right and a potential place for good ideas to be kicked around.
Your call if it's members only or not.
Probably a bit early for such a forum, but once we wrap up this raffle we can certainly consider it...

Chris, what costs are payed for by the underwriter that aren't covered by registration costs? Could the VOI possibly be run based on what is collected from registration dollars?
We have had a few casual discussions with folks that do these types of events on a regular basis and we feel we can definitely make them more cost-effective. We did a MAJOR Zone event in Kansas City a few years ago, including renting the Kansas Speedway for the weekend, bringing in a live band, catered meals, free limousine service, autocross, skyboxes at a professional baseball game, drag racing, etc. We charged considerably less than a VOI and the event ended up coming out $2,000 ahead by the time it was all over. I suspect we can duplicate that feat with a VOI - albeit not in Kansas City. :D

may i suggest this - if ticket sales are down, maybe we need to find out whether or not its just the economy? maybe there are other issues? if there are other issues, maybe we need to find out what they are so we can fix them? if we cant openly discuss it we will never be able to solve the problem(s) and fix them. (assuming of course they exist at all).
We are all ears. We picked a fantastic car, added three other prizes (only done once before - and that raffle sold out), and gave it a couple months of ticket sales. We would always like to hear other suggestions!

one huge cost that I would suggest that we cut from the budget for VOI 11 is the absurd sums of money that are spent with companies like the one I work for. At VOI 9 in Las Vegas, Freeman Decorating (the company I work for) was hired to set-up the ballrooms at the Venetian. I assume a similar company, maybe Champion,GES,or ExpoGroup did the same thing at VOI 10 in Detroit. All the banners, drapes, set-pieces, tables (non-dinning), and all the $$$$labor$$$$ is provided by a very expensive company. We charge a standard rate of around $70 per hour. more if its OT weekends, or equipment is used. Something like $80 for a table rental. As much as I like my job, I know its a huge cost that can be avoided easily.

And I love seeing all the banners and advertising at the VOIs but another huge cost that could be cut without hurting the event.
Agreed on all counts. As mentioned previously, we are looking at a variety of options and have folks within the club that can help us make this more cost effective. VOI is well over a year away, so we have plenty of time to plan accordingly.

As for the original subject, Venom upgraded this year, raffle tickets ordered..... Now my question comes as: Is there anything else the VCA members as a whole can do to help with VOI funding or even the VCA treasury? Sending funds the VCA's way is one way, but is there something else the membership as a whole can do that may inevitably save the National VCA money? If there is a way, saving money in the end is as good as being sent more. To butcher a quote: Ask not what your VCA can do for you, but what you can do for your VCA! ;)

On the other official subject to this thread, having planned MANY tradeshows all over NA, we have found that for attendance, cost, and availability of anything, Vegas does make a great destination. However, with our current economy, I would also say there should be many locations that would love to host an event of this size due to the income stream for that city. Hotels have great deals, catering companies are slow, etc. I think if alot of searching is done, it may be one of the most cost effective VOI's yet.
We have been discussing several different additional funding possibilities - some good, some more controversial. I will start a thread in the VCA Members section so that folks can comment accordingly.

As for getting this next one "discounted", I suspect that is very, very true. One of the bigger differences is that it is likely to be run largely by the VCA and VCA HQ, whereas it had previously been done largely by the manufacturer. While that is still a possibility, it seems very unlikely it would be Chrysler and the new owner may not want to take on the responsibility so early in their new venture. What this means is that we will have much more power to negotiate and build this event around VCA preferences. And in this economy, that could save us some very big bucks indeed!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to what Robert said, I don't give a flying **** about my location and I am still BLOODY PISSED about missing the big VOI 10. Ain't kidding either, when my last attempts at making attendance possible flew out the door all the languages and their vocabulary in the world were not enough to express my disappointment and anger :mad::mad::mad:

Is there ANYTHING I can possibly do as a supporting Associate Member to be of assistance in the planning and/or handling stages of VOI 11?

I'm good with a PC plus a few of the Microsoft Office programs and have some experience in the logistics field which should count for a desk job. Technology will take care of the distance through e-mail and/or possibly video conference.
I don't want a single thing in return for it unless people would want to be so generous to make a humble donation to my travel fees, but let me tell you this: I am NOT going to miss a VOI AGAIN!

Last edited:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question - why not just charge participants what it really costs to hold an event like VOI? Why spread the costs around to those that will not be participating?

The above is not directed at the raffles specifically, but at dues increases and outright solicitation for the specific purpose of making the attendee cost for a VOI less than the real cost per attendee. I believe those that attend should pay their full share and not expect that others help them foot the bill.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question - why not just charge participants what it really costs to hold an event like VOI? Why spread the costs around to those that will not be participating?

The above is not directed at the raffles specifically, but at dues increases and outright solicitation for the specific purpose of making the attendee cost for a VOI less than the real cost per attendee. I believe those that attend should pay their full share and not expect that others help them foot the bill.

Sounds like common sense to me...go figure. :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...but at dues increases and outright solicitation for the specific purpose of making the attendee cost for a VOI less than the real cost per attendee. I believe those that attend should pay their full share and not expect that others help them foot the bill.

I am definately willing to work for my reduction in attendance fees if management will have it!
Just smack a PM in my inbox asking for what capabilities I have and what positions on the "behind-the-scenes" team are available :headbang:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less white table cloth events and more beer drinking in the hotel parking lot kicking lug nuts around kind of events. Ala carte on what you do want to do. Wherever it is. Tone down the hoidy toidy and ramp up the wrench head car fun. Less $$$ and more basics.

Of course the hotel parking lot events are not officially sanctioned and are after hours...

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto what Injectthevenom said.

If there is something I can do, let me know. I love the VCA and am willing to donate my time if there is something that I can do. Just say the word. VOI 10 was my first VOI and have (literaly) the time of my life. I want to help ensure there is another one so that others who have not been to a VOI before can have that same opportunity and experience.

Chris - Being that the VCA in itself would be planning this one, two thoughts. I 100% agree that it will be more cost effective, and being that it is the VCA that is planning, I would say call on willing members to help plan/carry out the event. They may even be able to provide deatiled info on accomodations/local info in their area.

As for what GR8 Asp said, makes sense assuming the cost is not so high everyone is turned off at the price. Also going that route it makes sense that the more people to attend the less expensive the event would be. But in that same tone, it would be hard to estimate cost unless everyone pre-registered so attendance numbers would be known but then folks are signing up without knowing the cost at time of registration. Either way, we would have to ensure that there would be ample room for everyone not that we run into issues like in Detroit where there were many more people wanting to come but the event was sold out.

Robert

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about instead of the focus being where the money is going to come from, at least put an equal amount of effort into making VOI a more economical event? How about a thread asking what the average person wants to spend and do at a VOI?

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the motion on asking the attendees what they want and how much they want to pay. I also think Texas is a perfect venue, we have everything here.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds fair, but it is nice to be able to have an event like VOI that can be shared with all members of the VCA for an affordable attendance cost. Not everyone in the VCA has lots of money. I see no problem in looking for money raising options that aren't taxes on the entire membership, but more elective, such as Venom membership. I am still working on paying off my trip to VOI 10. But nothing could keep me from VOI 11.

Also, in a way, I agree with Dave. Not everything has to be grand gala events. I do think its nice to have one night of fancy dinning and entertainment or such, but much more of the event could be more relaxed and I would enjoy it just as much if not more. I hate having to change my clothes three times a day. Less time dinning means more time in the cars:drive:

Chris, if you have the opportunity to talk to the new owners (assuming a deal goes through), it would be one hell of a great impression of the future of Viper in the hands of a new company, if they helped to make VOI 11 better then others in the past. I think it could be the best possible campaign for new owners to show that they are interested in the Viper owners and the cars future. What better way to get good publicity for 'Brand X' Viper? Imagine an open invitation to all Viper owners to attend VOI 11 FOR FREE....... not all the events but perhaps some events. I'm sure this is only a crazy day dream, but its a fun idea.:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235