short shifter

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's the one to get for the Gen 4? It needs to be lower, and shorter throws. Would like to keep the stock knob but it's not a deal killer.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Catwood...we've gotten the MGW short-throw with blue Fangs logo knob for our '08. It's about the only thing we're changing...no mods needed this time around~! ~juli

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an MGW mini shift knob and chrome shifter bezel for $100 if you want it.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Duh:omg:

Big Brake Dave :drive:

Dave don't you just have a short shaft? I want something that actually goes into the tranny and changes the fulcrum point to reduce throws, not just the arc above.

Also...make up a seat lowering kit that allows front to back adjustments. That's gonna go on the list of things needed. I keep rolling up to far at lights and can't see those suckers.....

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's looking for the actual shifter mechanism, not the shortened knob/shaft.

I think MGW makes one for the '08/'09.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MGW is the best and dont try to color match its not close enough. I got the blue knob but I sent it back for the 3d fangs knob. The blue is more like purple.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Carl,

I installed Dave's 1-inch shorter shift piece (replaces the rubberized OE piece that screws into the top of the OE shift linkage) and with the OE shifter ball and shaft, it works very well for me.

Dave also has a two inch shorter piece and some others. Check our local website for more info.

Dan

PS Glad to have you "back in the saddle".

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do yourself a favor and get a short shift first then if you don't like it get the shifter but you will be amazed the difference that you will feel with just a shorter shaft on the stock shifter on the 08/09

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW

I had the Hurst shifter and then went with the MGW on my 06 coupe - the MGW was the best.

Since MGW does not make one for the GTS, and I already had the Hurst shifter, the Hurst will be installed.

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a Gunslinger pistol grip handle for my '06 and it effectively shortens the throw and it feels nice!!

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to be dumb but isn't the '06 transmission different than the '08?

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW all the way. It's much beefier/ firmer than the stock shifter. The improvement in 2nd to 3rd shift is night and day. Also no more accidental 3rd to 2nd down shifts.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MGW all the way. It's much beefier/ firmer than the stock shifter. The improvement in 2nd to 3rd shift is night and day. Also no more accidental 3rd to 2nd down shifts.
Did you do the install or pay for someone to do it?

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot me a note when your done about how bad on the install and the feel when your done.

Thanks,
Carl

The new MGW shifter is amazing!!!:headbang: It is head and shoulders above the OEM. The install took about an hour using a lift. The hardest part is getting the new shifter back on top of the transmission plate to bolt down. It gets pretty messy with the high temp sealant. Other than that, piece of cake. I had ordered the MGW Gripper knob to go with it but in the box was the MGW First Strike. I wasn't really a fan of this style shown in the pictures but let me tell you, it is made to fit your hand.:2tu: I would highly recommend it as a replacement over the OEM round ball style. The shifts are short and fast. This is an easy mod you can do that will make driving the Viper even better.:drive: I would say call Mark at Woodhouse today and get one ordered.:2tu::2tu:

Murray