Wanting to get a GTS need your help

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and am looking at getting a viper, really the only one thats worth getting in my opinion which is the 96 or 97 GTS blue with white stripes. I have found a 97 blue with white stripe GTS with 24k miles on it in perfect condition, all stock. I would like to know what is a good and honest price to pay for a car that is 12 yrs old and with no warranty. Your feedback is much appreciated.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I suspect they are depressed a bit to mid-Low 40s.

Maybe You could ask to have a VCA member near you look it over?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a buyers market right now. Do some searching and look at KBB value and make up a decision. For those right now, 35 is a really good price to pay.

:usa:

OP
OP
J

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I already test driven the car, the guy is asking $37k firm, said that he has already lowered it $12k, so should I make the deal for $37k or keep looking

V

Venomiss

OP
OP
J

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is the second owner, bought it from a multimillion dollar family friend,

I have also found another one in my area, I talked to him and he said he could negoiate for around $35k but this one also a 97 blue and white has
40k miles on it.and it has some mods done to you, I will send you think link for that one, let me know which one you viper experts would go with

1997 Dodge Viper GTS B/W this one again i can get for $35k but and has 40k miles on it

OP
OP
J

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the vin on the first one is 1b3er694vv300858 this one is fully stock with 24k miles asking $37k firm

the second vin is 1b3er69e1vv301742 with 40k miles, asking $38800 but will negoiate to $35k, this one is the one for the link i posted

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
the vin on the first one is 1b3er694vv300858 this one is fully stock with 24k miles asking $37k firm...

Get a refundable deposit on this one ASAP "SUBJECT TO TIMELY INSPECTION"

This site can help you find a place, did you say where this car is? BUDA TX = ART....

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im with Jonb. Go for the one thats 37k. 16k less miles and as long as inspection goes well. Good for it.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the lower mileage car for sure!!
Make sure to do a carfax and or autocheck. Its not a bad idea to do both. Also, if you are a first timer have a pro look at the car for you, I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!
So many Vipers have been abused or wrecked, you don't want to find out later that there is some bad history.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side :)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Be aware that there are some differences between the earlier GTS and the newer ones. 2001 & 2002 have ABS for example, the earlier ones don't. Other differences too - do your homework.

It is a buyer's market right now, that's for sure.

Good luck,

Dan

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I already test driven the car, the guy is asking $37k firm, said that he has already lowered it $12k, so should I make the deal for $37k or keep looking

37 sounds like a pretty good deal ot me. Not long ago you could not touch these cars for under 50. I suspect as the supply dwindles which is happening quick and the market improves they will be right back where they were a year or two ago.

SlayTay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the higher mile car here in Kyle/Buda and met the owner. I believe the guy said he was like the cousin of Monty who works at ART. Basic mods with the polished intake from ART, I dont remember all the details but it was pretty clean.
Taylor

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
37K for a b/w 97 GTS with those kind of miles on it is a good deal even today. You can't look at the age of these cars and having a warranty doesn't mean anything either. Theya are a different market than what you are referring to. Only a second owner and bought from a friend? You can't go wrong man! Get it inspected at ART and get the thing!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are close to ART, youre crazy for NOT calling them and getting them to look it over for ya. then bring it to them to tune it up and really go thru the car for ya.

in texas, there isnt any better than them IMO

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes no sense paying 40k or even 35k for a 97 even if it's a gts 2003-2006 models could be had for that. I feel a night and day difference from the pre 2003.

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Makes no sense paying 40k or even 35k for a 97 even if it's a gts 2003-2006 models could be had for that. I feel a night and day difference from the pre 2003.

sure it does, the 96/97 has a better resale value and looks better

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What' the difference? I have both and prefer my GTS over the SRT.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It all depends on what you are buying the car for. I love the looks of my GTS from day one 15 years ago. I drove the first 3 gens and even the 08 show car, but my dream came true when I got my own GTS.

No offense intended and I even told this to Eric Ridenour, The SRT looks like a RT/10 and a Sebring Convertible were left unattended in a garage overnight and the SRT was the result. The car lost some of it individuality with the redesign. I am glad that it works for you. BTW, I saw your other post about GTS and RT/10s.

The point is, different strokes for different folks. You shouldn't come in blasting .trying to discourage someone from buying what they want just because you don't like it.

Oh, and 10 years from now, we shall see who is crying in their brewski," If I had only bought a GTS!"

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What you feel and what you see parked in your driveway are two different things. It makes sense paying 40k or even 35k for a 97 if you prefer it to a newer model, or (heaven forbid) a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of a 96GTS with 8K mileage, 1 owner car, but i don't think mid 30's or 40's will get it...

goldlifter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 96 B/W with HRE 540 wheels,newer tires,borla exhaust and some extras with 50k miles on it....$33k would take it(clean/clear title in hand,two owner,never been in an accident,btw). lemme know if interested

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456