maintenance questions.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2003 SRT has about 24,000 miles on it and I have basically just gone by the manual for naintenance, to date.
I am going to have the transmission fluid changed - is this just a "drain & fill" situation, or is there a filter that needs to be changed?
The manual calls for the clutch fluid to be changed at 48K. Should I wait or should it be changed now, given the age of the car?
In the manual the coolant service is at 100k...my car will be about 15 years old when I hit 100k!! When should i have this done?
Does the power steering fluid ever need changing?

Thanks.

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
change all the fluids----- all of them,cheap cheap maintenence.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree...I'm guessing that you feel that you are a schedule 'A'' driver. Please note that many of the fluids have a time limit as well as a mileage limit. Your car is overdue in my opinion. For example, remembering that clutch fluid is just brake fluid living in a different location...it gathers moisture over time!!
Coolant change very important to keep up with in this car!! (did yours have cooling module recall??)
As our 2003 reached 5 years of age, I changed ALL of the fluids...at 3000 miles.
You should also consider updrading your P/S fluid to Power Steering+4 (which is ATF+4)as well.
"An ounce of prevention..."

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya,brake fluid on adverage collects 2% a year- adverage,some less some more depending were u are @

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree...I'm guessing that you feel that you are a schedule 'A'' driver. Please note that many of the fluids have a time limit as well as a mileage limit. Your car is overdue in my opinion. For example, remembering that clutch fluid is just brake fluid living in a different location...it gathers moisture over time!!
Coolant change very important to keep up with in this car!! (did yours have cooling module recall??)
As our 2003 reached 5 years of age, I changed ALL of the fluids...at 3000 miles.
You should also consider updrading your P/S fluid to Power Steering+4 (which is ATF+4)as well.
"An ounce of prevention..."

I had the cooling module recall... but that was done back in 04...5 years ago. So I will just replace all fluids.
Is there a filter in the transmission? Seems to me I heard one of our club members was charged for a new filter installed and later found out the car never had one.

Ballpark cost to have dealer replace all fluids...anyone?
Thanks.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a complete fluid service done on my '01 RT/10 (oli, brake, transmission, etc.) last summer and it cost just about $1000.00 I told the viper tech if it can be changed, change it. Seems like a lot but the car was seven years old and never had any fluid changed. It was time.
I had the cooling module recall... but that was done back in 04...5 years ago. So I will just replace all fluids.
Is there a filter in the transmission? Seems to me I heard one of our club members was charged for a new filter installed and later found out the car never had one.

Ballpark cost to have dealer replace all fluids...anyone?
Thanks.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a complete fluid service done on my '01 RT/10 (oli, brake, transmission, etc.) last summer and it cost just about $1000.00 I told the viper tech if it can be changed, change it. Seems like a lot but the car was seven years old and never had any fluid changed. It was time.

Thats about what I figured it should cost...

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a quote of about $1K also from my local dealer, I'm planning on doing the exact same thing.

D.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a qoute of $1000 plus taxes...Canadian $$

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Two comments:

It cost me well under $200.00 US to change ALL fluids on our 2003 a year ago...oil from Wal-Mart, oil filter and Mopar fluids from Dodge dealer at "VCA" discount.

For non DYI folks, several dealers in our Region offer our members a substantial discount of fluid changes...noting that our VCA officers continue to arrange this benefit and publish same to our members.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should bring this up to our club and see if we can get a VCA discount at local dealers!!
Two comments:

It cost me well under $200.00 US to change ALL fluids on our 2003 a year ago...oil from Wal-Mart, oil filter and Mopar fluids from Dodge dealer at "VCA" discount.

For non DYI folks, several dealers in our Region offer our members a substantial discount of fluid changes...noting that our VCA officers continue to arrange this benefit and publish same to our members.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For that kind of coin (wow...) make sure the dealer puts in the CORRECT oil filter.
They will tell you that the regular "090" filter (p/n@ 05281090) will work just fine. Sure it will, but you're not driving a K-car.

DEMAND the Viper oil filter. p/n# 5037836AA

How to tell the difference?
- Regular Mopar oil filter = black, usually with gold or white printing.
- Viper-specific oil filter = white, with black print. The Viper logo is printed on it as well.

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever the price is just do it all! The old saying "pay me now or pay me later". Go on line and find out how much it costs to replace a power steering pump brake slave cylinder etc. Brake fluid should be replaced at least once a season. You will have a better feeling when you are driving over 100 mph.