window switches

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
on my 96 gts I have 6 going to the window switch and it is one big switch for both windows. I got a newer switch and it is two separate switches with a total of 16 wires. Can I make the new style work with my old harness of six wires some how?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if one switch can work both windows than you should be able to split the power to go to two switches. If it works now with 6 wires than it will work with only using 6 of the 16 wires on the new switch

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if one switch can work both windows than you should be able to split the power to go to two switches. If it works now with 6 wires than it will work with only using 6 of the 16 wires on the new switch

I agree but I don't know how to wire it. Here is a pic of the new and old switches.

Attachments

• switch2.jpg
    switch2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 45
  • switch1.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 40

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on my 96 gts I have 6 going to the window switch and it is one big switch for both windows. I got a newer switch and it is two separate switches with a total of 16 wires. Can I make the new style work with my old harness of six wires some how?

Was the old style switch not available anymore ? You may need to see a schematic or test an actual car to figure out which wire goes where. I'm guessing it didn't come with a plug either...one would be nice to have.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been people that have taken the switches apart and cleaned them. It looks like bending the metal tabs on each corner would be the starting point. Getting it back together may be entertaining though.

I'd be willing to bet the wires could be traced and adapted if you have the newer connectors for the newer switches. As long as you don't mind "updating" your interior...

And BTW, not all of the wires on the new switches are used. So it's not 16 wires vs. 6 wires.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The switch is from an old K-car and you can easily take it apart. Just pry along the base and separate it from some locking tabs.

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The switch is from an old K-car and you can easily take it apart. Just pry along the base and separate it from some locking tabs.

The switch actually still works ok. The reason I am changing it because the bezel that the switch is secured to broke. I got a different bezel and it came with this other style switch.

Dave- If this other switch doesn't need 8 wires each it makes more sense that it should work. I have the 96 service manaul, if I can find a newer one should be able to figure out what goes where.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my 2001 wiring. 3 screen shots of the same thing. Note the position of the slider button on the scroll bar. I zoomed in for clarity...

You must be registered for see images

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the two seperate switches in my '99 GTS. A few weeks ago, both windows would not roll down so I took the switches out, cleaned the contact points, and reinstalled them. Now they work good as new. I wonder when they changed over from the one piece you have.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the two seperate switches in my '99 GTS. A few weeks ago, both windows would not roll down so I took the switches out, cleaned the contact points, and reinstalled them. Now they work good as new. I wonder when they changed over from the one piece you have.

I believe it was late '97 early '98. They upgraded to two corporate single gangs used on most other Chrysler vehicles.