New Member intro/ and some questions

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
My name is Steve, im 24 and from Boston, Ma. Yesterday, I bought my first Dodge Viper. Its a 2001 RT/1O in yellow. I sold my corvette so I could get my hands on this. Its been my dream car since it came out. Anyways, is there anything I should know about my viper year? Any tips ect..?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, Congratulations!!! Next, you should private message your Viper's VIN# to the moderators (lee00blacksilvergts, kcobean) and they will UPGRADE you to VIPER OWNER~!
Thinking about joining your regional VCA? Call 1-800-998-1110 with your VIN# handy.
When you can, post pictures!!! There have been many who have upgraded from Vette to Viper, us included...tho we also have a Vette too. Call Chuck Tator with any questions you might have, he's our Resident Viper WIZARD: 1-914-763-3136~!!! Most of all, ENJOY...recognize your Viper is TOTALLY different than your previous Corvette...it's a DRIVERS' car...YOU are totally in control.
~juli

V

Venomiss

Welcome! What a nice color.:D
This is the VCA site from your area:
Viper Club of America

Buy a guide book and use the search here for your questions.
Pull up a chair and join us!:)

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve,welcome and be prepared for a lot of attention when you drive the new car. Are there any ******* in Boston? If so, we need some pics of some ****** girls in the new car!!!!

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a 2001 RT/1O in yellow. I sold my corvette so I could get my hands on this. Anyways, is there anything I should know about my viper year? Any tips ect..?

Congrats on getting rid of the Vette!!!

One thing you should know is that you bought the wrong color and that no matter what you do to it, it will never match the speed and awesomeness of a Red car... :omg:

Welcome to the madness!!! :D

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on getting rid of the Vette!!!

One thing you should know is that you bought the wrong color and that no matter what you do to it, it will never match the speed and awesomeness of a Red car... :omg:

Welcome to the madness!!! :D

Eh? ORANGE Is the TRUE "Extender". Scientalificully proven. Look it up.
:omg:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh God No, Not another Yellow one :D (just kidding Steve).

Its been said on here before that most people who buy those yellow V8 cars have to put Superchargers on them to match the Red cars :D

Welcome to the club, its great here, your in for a good time :2tu:

:uk:
2000 GTS (a fast red one)

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Niiiiiice!!!!! :headbang:

Welcome aboard! I too traded the vette for a VIPER! :2tu: :drive:

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice!!!!!!!!! Now time to join the VCA......Steve check out our calendar on neviperclub.org and come to an event i will introduce you to everyone.....You will have a blast and learn alot about your car....There still is nothing like cruzing around in a line of 15 - 20 vipers....This year is packed with excellent events....Hope to see you out and about........If you have any questions at all email me [email protected] :2tu::2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
My name is Steve, im 24 and from Boston, Ma. Yesterday, I bought my first Dodge Viper. Its a 2001 RT/1O in yellow. I sold my corvette so I could get my hands on this. Its been my dream car since it came out. Anyways, is there anything I should know about my viper year? Any tips ect..?

Congratulations !!!

Several things that I would check:

1 What is the age of the tires? Old, harder tires don't go well with the Viper's torque if you are a leadfoot. Especially in colder climates.

2. Make sure that you tighten the power steering cap TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT. Some have been known to come loose due to heat cycling and vibration in this application. The exhaust manifold is nearby and power steering fluid will tend to flame up if the two get together.

3. You should have someone check that the crank bolt holding the harmonic balancer in place is tight/torqued. That has been known to come loose on some cars, particularly supercharged cars; but, some others as well.

4. Some people report the power steering pump bracket breaking or the power steering pulley (plastic) cracking. There are a couple of aftermarket sources for those if you are into preventative measures.

Don't know what the percentage failure rate on these things are. None have happened to me; but, incidents get reported here a couple times a year.

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Yellow cars are breading like rabbits these days..just kidding Steve…
A very nice ride and welcome to the Viper family…

OP
OP
O

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been driving the car for 2 days and cant believe the attention it gets. Much more than the vette did. Also is wayyyyy more fun than the vette.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations! Your viper looks familiar...I think I saw one just like it today...oh yeah...it's in my garage! Nice choice!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Steve, great looking car you have there. I heart the yellow ones :D

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
O

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations !!!

Several things that I would check:

1 What is the age of the tires? Old, harder tires don't go well with the Viper's torque if you are a leadfoot. Especially in colder climates.

2. Make sure that you tighten the power steering cap TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT. Some have been known to come loose due to heat cycling and vibration in this application. The exhaust manifold is nearby and power steering fluid will tend to flame up if the two get together.

3. You should have someone check that the crank bolt holding the harmonic balancer in place is tight/torqued. That has been known to come loose on some cars, particularly supercharged cars; but, some others as well.

4. Some people report the power steering pump bracket breaking or the power steering pulley (plastic) cracking. There are a couple of aftermarket sources for those if you are into preventative measures.

Don't know what the percentage failure rate on these things are. None have happened to me; but, incidents get reported here a couple times a year.

Anyone know where I can get a power steering cap? Seems to have fallen off last night.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
O

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hahaha thanks... You didn't really jinx me since you are the reason I popped the hood tighten the cap... and It was gone. Otherwise I prob wouldn't have noticed.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought we limited it to one new yellow Viper owner a month around here (which is one more than I voted for)? Sorry orsini, come back next month.

Just kidding! :D Congrats on the Viper!! Been to ******* yet? :D

For your power steering cap issues, be SURE to add one of these to prevent future caps from falling off and potential fires from the fluid hitting the headers!!

Roe Racing Power Steering Vent Tube - 92-02 - Ventilation - Crankshaft and Power Steering - Roe Racing

While you're at it, go ahead and upgrade to a billet aluminum p/s bracket and pulley. They are prone to breaking and leaving you stranded.

Power Steering

OP
OP
O

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought we limited it to one new yellow Viper owner a month around here (which is one more than I voted for)? Sorry orsini, come back next month.

Just kidding! :D Congrats on the Viper!! Been to ******* yet? :D

For your power steering cap issues, be SURE to add one of these to prevent future caps from falling off and potential fires from the fluid hitting the headers!!

Roe Racing Power Steering Vent Tube - 92-02 - Ventilation - Crankshaft and Power Steering - Roe Racing

While you're at it, go ahead and upgrade to a billet aluminum p/s bracket and pulley. They are prone to breaking and leaving you stranded.

Power Steering

Hahah so much yellow hating.

I actually just ordered on of those earlier, to avoid the problem in the future. Definitely want to avoid a fire.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, John...welcome...but did you really mean to list all those GM parts for sale???
Are you a VIPER OWNER? If so, pm me!!! (I think you may need to 'edit' your post with those parts before a moderator does it for you! :)) ~juli

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4