HELP Car wont start!

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the car out a few weeks ago and she ran great. Went to start her up and everything lights up except the engine wont even crank. What are some things that could cause this? Thanks. She's parked in an old barn and critters could have gotten to a wire is what i'm thinking but where should I start?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Indicator lights draw much less current than what it takes to crank the engine. The battery could be "dead" from something being left on but still have enough juice for the dash lights to work. Check the battery first and then proceed to more difficult causes.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep- battery shorted-starter stuck,try to tap on it lightly while someone cranks,or the critter deal:omg:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And old barn??? Sheesh. I won't even keep an old barn in an old barn! :omg:

But really, check that battery. They can go from hero to zero like pronto, and for no apparent reason.

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the clutch pressed down all the way?
There's a neautral safety switch on the clutch
and if it isn't depressed this will give you the same
problem. Or, like others said, it could be the battery giving you enough voltage but not enough amps. Generally if it's a battery you'll at least get a click or something.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go back to your barn and look for the critters....the may be in the drivers seat!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the clutch pressed down all the way?
There's a neautral safety switch on the clutch
and if it isn't depressed this will give you the same
problem. Or, like others said, it could be the battery giving you enough voltage but not enough amps. Generally if it's a battery you'll at least get a click or something.

The neutral safety switch failed on my '95 a few years ago.... bet that's it!

OP
OP
G

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks gonna check neutral safety switch tonight, can it be bypassed? or just have to replace it?

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check clutch switch. Has been the cause of a few none starters of late....

DVSGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also check the heavy ground ******** the passenger side frame. Make sure the nut is actaully tight.

OP
OP
G

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am Shocked but the folks who said Battery were right on. Its funny because whenever the battery was dead or dying before it would still crank this time nothing but sure enough hooked up the wifes accord and vroom started right up. Thanks all