blown fuse on a 2004?

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I turned the key this morning on my 2004, got the instrument gauge cluster powered up and appeared to have all systems go, and then I hit the vroom button and... everything shut down with a brief, harsh sound that might've been the starter motor beginning to engage. Took the key out, put it back in and turned it again - no juice at all to anything. The battery's a couple months old and everything was fine yesterday.

Sound like a blown fuse? I haven't had a chance to consult the shop manual yet, but is there a main fuse between the battery & ignition switch, or after the ignition and before the rest of the electrical system?

Damned nice day, too :(

Reaction score
ASD fuse under the hood mid way in the box, look at the cover to see which one and swap another with it and try again, replace if so.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that happen repeatedly with my '05 and I almost lemmon lawed the thing. SRT sent an engineer down to Dallas from Detroit, his fix, replace it with a 25 amp fuse. In fact, they built every car after that with a 25 instaed of the original 20.

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, now I have a small mystery. I pulled the ASD fuse, visually inspected and then tested it with a fuse tester and it's fine. I reseated it and then pulled the ASD relay also but couldn't see any way to test it simply. I tested all of the other fuses in-place and they're fine, except I couldn't get to the top contacts on the IOD fuse to test it. So it looks like a fuse puller is stored around the IOD fuse and as I was trying to pull this IOD fuse and having no luck getting the "fuse puller" detached from it, I noticed a spark. I put everything back, sat down in the car and inserted the key again - power! My clock read 12:00 and it rescanned for discs in the changer, so it must not have had power for very long.

I'm guessing somehow that the ASD or IOD fuse, or the ASD relay, became unseated... sounds like a pretty flimsy explanation to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh