New Canadian GTS owner

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a 1996 GTS. Second owner, 9300 miles, babied by first owner, no rain,all stock, original tires, immaculate. This car is a beast....WOW is it a slick ride ,thumbs up everywhere, what a joy of a car. I have always been a vette guy and decided to venture out into Mopar territory....boy I waited to long to do that. There is nothing quite like a viper...what a design...what a work of art.
My question is that my back window/hatch doesn't stay up on it's own...and I realize that the shocks wear down in time...I just wanted to make sure that there was no adjustment/ lock mechanism I maybe missing, as the owners manual does not address this area of the vehicle.
Thanks and Cheers to all who know the experience called the VIPER.,:beer:

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where in Canada? Which GTS?

Stock or modified? Glad you're finally getting the benefits we've been enjoying for awhile. What plans have you got with it? car shows? Some High Performance Driving Instructions? Enjoy and welcome!

If your hatch won't stay up it's time for new gas struts. Cheap fix.

Like most members here I'll suggest HP Driving Experiences to better learn your new beast. You don't really get to experince the joy of driving a Viper, because you can only use about 10% of it's potential on the streets. The instructors also help you learn to drive safer, faster and much better than before.

Ted

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Viper Nation!

Dont forget to post pics when you can!

Where in Canada are you?

Robert

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Located in Ontario, Canada

Attachments

• newviper 017.jpg
    newviper 017.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 24
  • newviper 032.jpg
    newviper 032.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 30
  • newviper 009.jpg
    newviper 009.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 20

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Ontario group from a fellow Ontarian!!:yay:

Look forward to meeting you at somepoint! :)

Also, dont forget to PM your VIN to the mods (Leslie, Big N Italian, Y2K5SRT, CitySnake, etc) for them to upgrade you to Viper Owner!

Robert

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Lookin Ride!!:2tu: Probably one of a very few with those low miles!! Mind if I ask if where you purchased? Us/Canada? Any chance the last 4 Vin digits are 0623? If so I may have some additional info for you. Enjoy yourself and keep it straight!

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

Car was purchased in Ontario, Canada. It was brought into Canada through Chrysler Canada. I bought it off of a older gentleman who owned it for 12 yrs....very,very clean car.
Last four VIN # 1039
Does anyone know if/where I could obtain a copy of the window sticker...unfortunately it was not available.

Cheers Piper

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all of the old body styles, they are no longer available. :(

Could try contacting the original owner if you can. He may still have it.

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

How do I report my VIN to one of those mentioned?

Thanks Piper

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go into your user control panel, and go to send a message listed on the left side. Then type in one of the above mentioned names and from there it is like an email!

Hope that helps!

Robert

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks....It's been completed.
Are there any sites that offer copies of window stickers?
Piper

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and no. There is, somewhat. If you have a Viper that is less than 7 years old, you can get the Viper Club Of America to reprint it for you, but due to Chrysler's records only going back 7 years, they cannot do it for the older cars as the data has since been deleted.

So for you, not so much.....

Robert

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car! B&Ws are the best looking combo, I may be slightly biased!

I know you mentioned it has the orig. tires, and if you do one thing to that car (as AZTVTR cautioned) it should be to replace the tires ASAP! Your going to get a lot of folks telling you this, there's good reason behind it.

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the kind words

Is the reason for replacing the tires due to their age, and the possibility that the compound has started to breakdown, with the potential for a tire blowout?

Piper

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only a blowout, but the fact the tires have no GOOD traction at this point. Will become like driving on ice. You lose control, you crash! End of story! (and Viper) Hopefully you survive! :crazy2:

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rubber becomes hard so you loose traction which can become dangerous if you are in an emergency situation or are just driving the car hard. I have only put about 10 kms on mine today but I can feel the difference.

Stew

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations, piper on your '96 GTS...THE epitome of VIPERS everywhere~!
Yes, private message your VIN# to the moderators who can UPGRADE you to VIPER OWNER (lee00blacksilvergts or kcobean)...then certainly join your regional VCA chapter by calling 1-800-998-1110 or at vipermagazine.com. Original tires on the '96???? DEFINITEly replace them (yes due to age/breakdown...you need 'new rubber' to put down with these BEASTS!).
Gorgeous car, totally ENJOY! ~juli
Questions...ask away!

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome....much appreciated

Piper

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, more Vipers are wrecked due to the back end coming around on accel and old tires will ensure you cannot recover from the slide! Also if you have old tires, you will get more wheel hop on full throttle. Wheel hop means broken halfshafts.I speak from experience.:(

Robert

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't get it....All BLUE ACR told me that blue is way faster than red or yellow.
Any idea what it would cost me to paint this thing yellow?

Piper:dunno:

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Juli,
Can you tell me how I can put a picture up under my name like so many people have.
Thanks Kris
ps I saw you were online that's why I asked....sorry to bother