New here. (but not an owner yet)

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Craig and I'm 22 years old. Please don't let my age give you false impressions of me, no one in my family has ever given me a dime towards anything, I work very hard to get where I'm at. I am a Metal Fabricator/Welder in Appleton, WI and I currently have a 2003 Nissan 350z with a Vortech blower makings about 370 at the wheels. However, I have wanted a Viper since as long as I can remember, and my whole family shot me down and told me I should just give it up and forget about it happening.

SO I've set a goal for myself, I'm currently trying to sell my Z and I am going to start saving up and I would like to pick up a Gen III in Spring, 2011. I signed up a bit early haha, but I figure there is much for me to learn before I start looking to buy! So any knowledge you feel like sharing (about Gen IIIs, known issues, years to stay away from, etc) please do!

Well that's enough about me. I look forward to speaking with some of you!

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha, never to early to sign up, and NEVER GIVE UP! I'm shooting for Christmas 2010 to get my gen1. Lots of good info and good folks here.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off welcome to the boards. :) I would suggest getting the book "Viper Buyers Guide." Lots of useful info in that book however it focus' more on the first two generations of the car but still a great read. See if you can attend some of your local chapters club events. You will get a chance to see a lot of different cars and hear owners opinions. Also, don't let anyone tell you that you can't have what you want. I was 23 when I got my first viper. Everyone said that it would never happen and to this day they still kinda find it unreal. Just work hard and you will get it!!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Craig, welcome to the greatest site ever! It's never too early to sign up as there is great information here. And definitely keep the dream alive. It took me over a decade of dreaming and saving before I could make it a reality and it was well worth the wait. I've put 2,600 miles on mine since last September and it's been amazing so far. BTW I lived in Oshkosh for a while as a kid, just down the road from ya :2tu:

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Seems like it is a pretty awesome group of people here :2tu:

I will definitely be picking up that book, and I hope to head out to some Illinois events, my fiance's uncle, I believe is a part of VCA, he has a 97 R/W GTS and he lives in IL so maybe I'll head to some with him if he goes to any so I don't feel completely out of place :)

P.S. I swear I didn't know her uncle had a Viper when I started dating her haha.:D When we met we were both pretty into cars and I told her my dream car was a Viper, and she non-chalantly says "Oh yea, my uncle has one of those" :omg:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEVER give up on your dreams and NEVER let anyone steal them from you. If you work hard enough and save enough you WILL drive a Viper one day. I would suggest a Gen II but I am biased!

Good luck and do your homework.

Ron

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper Nation! It is an honor to have you here!

Never give up! Just put your sight on what you want and focus on it! Most importantly, NEVER listen to those that say you cannot achive your dreams!

I got my Viper at 21 the same way you will. Hard work and alot of saving. BUT it CAN BE DONE!! Just gotta put your mind to it!

If you do not care what year, do look into some of the older ones. Bet you could get one without too much more than what you can sell your Z for!

Robert

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I like it here already :D

Just a general question here, what are maintainance costs like for the Vipers? I assume being an exotic it just costs more, but how much more? Do you need lube every time you step a foot into a dealer?

I will most likely be taking care of normal maintainance, but I'm just curious.

Also, which color is fastest?

P.s. The above question was a joke. We all know red is the fastest, but black is the only color that can't get caught on radar, right? :D

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, a typical oil change is about $100.00 I did a complete fluid change (oil,clutch, trans, coolant, rear end) at a dealership last august and it was about $1,000.00 In my opinion thats reasonable considering on some other exotics (porsche carrea GT for example) just an oil change is aboout $3,000.00 :) Oh and Sapphire Blue is the fastest. :D
Thanks again everyone. I like it here already :D

Just a general question here, what are maintainance costs like for the Vipers? I assume being an exotic it just costs more, but how much more? Do you need lube every time you step a foot into a dealer?

I will most likely be taking care of normal maintainance, but I'm just curious.

Also, which color is fastest?

P.s. The above question was a joke. We all know red is the fastest, but black is the only color that can't get caught on radar, right? :D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! HOLD IT!!!:omg:

Red is NOT the fastest. Yellow cars were super tuned at the factroy hence the reason red guys are always jealous. :D

Maintainance is not that much more than a pickup. ires, yes, much more! Oil change, a little more as it needs Mobil 1 synthetic. The big key is to get around people who like to "Viper tax" products.

Robert

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Craig. I'm a former FI 350Z owner myself. The Viper is a great "next car" after the Z, so keep on keepin' on and you'll be in one in no time, especially with prices down like they are.

Just one thing to remember...nobody here cares how old you are. We're Viper lovers first and always. If your age isn't an issue to you, it's not an issue to us, so don't feel like you have something to prove or that your age is some stigma to be held against you.

And just for old times sake...here's a picture of my Z and my Viper....in this case, red is NOT fastest:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one thing to remember...nobody here cares how old you are. We're Viper lovers first and always. If your age isn't an issue to you, it's not an issue to us, so don't feel like you have something to prove or that your age is some stigma to be held against you.

Thats refreshing, coming from some forums *cough*My350Z.com*cough* where they seem to think 350's are only for the rich and famous. :mad:

Very nice upgrade! Nothing wrong with that Z, but mmmm I like the Bumblebee Vipers :headbang:

Heres a couple pictures of my Z:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Yes, KCobean also came from a 350Z. We don't like him, but don't worry, its not because of his 350Z background :D I suggest getting your feet wet with a yellow Viper first. Since they only came with V8's, they're like the training wheels version of real Vipers with V10's :lmao: Once you get used to it, upgrade to red and hold on tight! :headbang::2tu: I bought my Viper at 23 and Kelly's right, age doesn't matter around here. We expect photos of hotties by your car no matter how old you are :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Yes, KCobean also came from a 350Z. We don't like him, but don't worry, its not because of his 350Z background :D I suggest getting your feet wet with a yellow Viper first. Since they only came with V8's, they're like the training wheels version of real Vipers with V10's :lmao: Once you get used to it, upgrade to red and hold on tight! :headbang::2tu: I bought my Viper at 23 and Kelly's right, age doesn't matter around here. We expect photos of hotties by your car no matter how old you are :D

Watch out for this genius. He bought a McViper and then took the fastest part of the car off...the YELLOW wheels. :D :D :D:lmao:

He does post some pretty good pictures in the "Chicks-n-Vipers" thread though, so he's not too bad.

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha McViper....that's probably the best description for those I've ever heard.

I think I'll end up with a red one. They look amazing with black wheels with the top up (though I prefer black with the top down). But I need to see a couple different colors in person before making up my mind.
I'm not so sure about the hotties thing, might make my fiance jealous, so I might just be able to get pictures with one hottie :p

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red??? C'mon! Yellow! See? (Pics from none other than only truth speaking Kcobean)

YELLOW

YELLOW

YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW

And...YELLOW

Or...YELLOW

Did I mention....YELLOW?

:D:D:D:D

Yellow is SOOOO much more fun than red!:yay:

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow

:drive:

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, ok let's see some pictures of yellow Gen3s, maybe you can convince me to come to the dark side. (err, would that be the bright side?)

I've honestly never seen a yellow vert in person...but I would think that would be better than red even...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, ok let's see some pictures of yellow Gen3s, maybe you can convince me to come to the dark side. (err, would that be the bright side?)
I've honestly never seen a yellow vert in person...but I would think that would be better than red even...

Check out Dimitrios' car (under that username)...SLAMMIN'!!!!! (literally!)
Good luck on your search for the RIGHT Viper for you~! We've had GenIII and IV.
Black, GTS Blue, now Metallic Silver...doesn't matter the color...ALL VIPERS rule~! :headbang:
~juli

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now you're talkin!

Juli may be right though, there are lots of good colors out there and you should probably pick one that you love the most.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! HOLD IT!!!:omg:

Red is NOT the fastest. Yellow cars were super tuned at the factroy hence the reason red guys are always jealous. :D

Robert

The real story is they tell that to the yellow viper owners to make them feel better ;) :rolaugh: hence yellow = lemon

Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here we go! A cretain Y2K5SRT Viper! :)

srt2rest.jpg

viperd.jpg

icegaze.jpg

Man dats hot!

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAHA you guys are good salesmen...you must get commission for each yellow Viper sold!

I'd have to say yellow looks nicer than red...but I love the look of a "murdered" out viper :D

The only down side to black (aside from impossible to keep clean) is I think the dark colors hide the body lines more :doh2: Whereas the lighter colored ones let you see the whole car...if that makes sense?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper