Looking 2 buy.....but carfax says frame damage at right center pillar

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

In my search to find a Gen 2 Viper, I came across this one which at first looked ver good. 2002 LOW MILES…………. only 14,766 miles on it. Asking price lowered to $39,900.

After seeing the Carfax on it, it shows that in 2003 at around 8,000 miles it was in an accident with structural/frame damage. More specifically “DAMAGE TO RIGHT CENTER PILLAR”.

It appears to have bben fixed, and of course I would take it to Dodge 1st to be sure.

Now, I don’t know a whole lot about what the right center pillar is, but I decided to ask here………. Assuming that it has been properly fixed, is this still a deal breaker? How much less should I offer, or if I should just skip this car all together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion is that there are too many Vipers around that have no bad "stories." Even if the car is repaired properly, you will have a hard time selling it later because of people that think like I do. Many people just don't want to deal with it.

If you plan to keep it forever and you verify that the repair was done correctly, then it doesn't matter. If the price were significantly lower, and you don't have the cash to buy a "no stories" Viper, that would also be a reason to buy it.

I wouldn't consider buying it, myself.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While it is certainly your choice, I would not only walk away from this, I would run. While the price is decent it is certainly not exceptional. Plenty of others out there you can get for that price without the damage. If not now, wait and they will be there. No need to walk into a potential problem knowing it first hand. Prior serious damage such as this would also undermine resale if you ever decided to sell. Use your head on this one, not your emotions.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why waste time on a hurt viper when there are SO MANY good ones around for cheap now

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I was considering buying a gts that looked great with low miles that had an accident but after thinking about it if I wanted to upgrade to an srt or something in the future the resale value/trade in would be a problem due to the fact it was in an accident. Don't do it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with "passing" on above Viper.

In your quest, I would suggest that you contact some of the more active VCA members in your area. This can be a valuable resource ...not the least of which is the fact that you might come across a known car that fits your needs that has not yet been advertised. That has certainly happened more than once in our area.

Good luck !!!

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK Guys, thanks very much for your input. I think I will steer clear of this one.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd stay away if I were you.

If you're going to spend 40k for one there are plenty in that price range to choose from that are in very nice shape.

Or.... you can spend a few bucks more and get an exceptional example.

The exotic car market is in deep trouble right now cars that were selling for 100k this time last year are now worth 60k +/- depending on what the car is.

I've been watching the same Lambos sitting at the same dealers for the last year and not a one has sold. I bet that is killing the dealer in lost square footage.

Cars in show rooms cost money "just to sit there".

They're too proud to take a loss and the longer they hold em' the bigger the loss.

That's just my .02

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out mine in the VCA classifieds. 2000 RT red, low miles, absolutely mint. Put some miles on it this year so it now has 5,050 miles. Price reduced to 40,000. Mike (mxmike27)

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks mxmike27, but unless I'm doing something wrong (which is often) your add seems to be gone.

I will probably have to buy from a dealership because a big chunk of the money I will put towards the Viper is in the form of a trade in (Lexus LS430 2005 Green). And my wife said absolutely no color other than black/gray for the interior.

I am looking at one in Sarasota a 2000 grey/blk rt/10 29k miles $37.9k (I know I can get them down lower than this). This is about the most mileage I would want to buy one with.

Dodge : Viper:eBay Motors (item 400051866635 end time May-31-09 13:11:06 PDT)
This one is at a Lexus Dealership and my trade in would be a Lexus. Now I can point out how they are asking $35k for the same year/model lexus they are selling. I know I wont get 35k as a trade in, but their own Lexus prices should help me get more for my trade in. :2tu:

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
There's also this one close by, but it's got a few more miles, and I'd probably have 2 take my trade in to carmax 1st (which means more sales tax $ on the Viper). If I got this one, I'd look to much like Chuck 98 RT/10 (not that this is a bad thing). Same color, almost same year, and we both drive on Dale Mabry av. in Tampa alot ;) I see him driving by all the time.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd stick to the classified ads here the guys here wouldn't sell you junk!

I'd sell you mine but I would ask far more than what you'll ever want to pay.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That damage sounds like it would be tricky to get right. And preferable to mask if you don't know what how to get it right. Unless they have full documentation of the repair (pics out the *****) then walk.

The price though is was you should pay for a clean one owner car of that miles etc. I'd offer 'em $30K if you really want it. Just print all these threads out and tape 'em to a box of Krispy Kremes on a Monday morning. Dealership delivery... :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never let a girl tell you what color YOUR car should be unless she pays for it in full.

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my mint '01 GTS with 12K miles, for well under 40. Keep looking the right one is out there somewhere.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its your call but be aware of something the majority of vipers out there have had some sort of incident over time, and most are not reported to car fax. So do not trust what someone over the internet tells you about the car you are about to buy. Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing and have it checked out.

Viper frames can and do get damaged just by bottoming the car out on a dip very hard, or jacking it up wrong. It is not a big deal if the person who you have fix it knows what they are doing, but be aware most DO NOT have a clue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456