New owner...

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just bought a 97 gts last month and I love it. I drive it daily and enjoy every minute of it. I've since put 3k miles on it already. The only thing it lacks is a cup holder...The only question I've is if it is safe to drive the car in rain. I plan on attending a graduation party up North and will probably see alot of rain on the way. The tires are fine and I don't go over speed limit on the freeway. Please advice... :D

V

Venomiss

Hello everyone. I just bought a 97 gts last month and I love it. I drive it daily and enjoy every minute of it. I've since put 3k miles on it already. The only thing it lacks is a cup holder...The only question I've is if it is safe to drive the car in rain. I plan on attending a graduation party up North and will probably see alot of rain on the way. The tires are fine and I don't go over speed limit on the freeway. Please advice... :D
Welcome to the fun.

How many miles on your car total?

Go to this section and start reading up.
http://forums.viperclub.org/tire-wheel-brake-suspension/

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats and way to go by driving your car

this time of year (warm) makes driving in the wet less of an issue than what kind of tires you have, most say ps2's are decent in the rain, mine are

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats and way to go by driving your car

this time of year (warm) makes driving in the wet less of an issue than what kind of tires you have, most say ps2's are decent in the rain, mine are

I believe they are kumho's and brand new, i don't really have much knowledge about tires, hopefully they will be fine...either way i'll find out morrow :dunno:

Another question I've is about the vibration in the car. It has the stock shifter and at stops the thing vibrates all over the place...i've a friend whose owned a newer viper and says that's abnormal, is that true?

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like engine and possibly trans mounts need replacing

search for woodhouse poly mounts, tons of posts about how much new mounts help our cars

(also power steering bracket, cap, pulley for later) ton of good info on this site

hows your viper grin doing?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe they are kumho's and brand new, i don't really have much knowledge about tires, hopefully they will be fine...either way i'll find out morrow :dunno:

Another question I've is about the vibration in the car. It has the stock shifter and at stops the thing vibrates all over the place...i've a friend whose owned a newer viper and says that's abnormal, is that true?

Which Kumho's? The V700's have about half the "wet handling" rating as the PS's. But if you're driving speed limit, you shouldn't have any problems. Just be safe and watch for standing water.:2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your '97 GTS~!!! You ARE joking about the cup holder!!! (Especially with your vibration...;)) Where are you located? You can be UPGRADED to Viper Owner by private messaging your VIN# to the administrators: lee00blacksilvergts or kcobean! THEN, possibly think about joining the Viper Club Region near you? 1-800-998-1110 is Viper HQ/JRThompson, or vipermagazine.com (have your VIN# handy)....welcome to the FEVER~!!! You NEVER get over it!
Enjoy your drive, rain or shine...just go easy on the throttle thru the puddles. ~juli

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good golly!!! Drive it, learn it enjoy it!!!!!! (don't wreck it)

Vipers don't melt... even gen 1s... (I should know)...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wrote off a 98 GTS driving through puddles with runcraps on my car. Head-on'd a Semi with no personal injuries to wife or myself.

PS2s are so great in the rain that when you watch my 'drifting' video you can see how violently the tires hook and they can be heard squealing in the extreme wet. I drove these tires home from Portland in a heavy thunder/lightning and actaully went 80mph following a Mustang GT500 (without realizing how fast I was going).
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hehAZeGAKiE[/media]

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cup holder ? sell your car immediately.

as far as tires in the rain. its not how fast you go, its how fast you try to get to that speed. that car is likely to turn around on you on dry pavement, in wet, tread lightly and you will be fine.

OP
OP

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I managed to get through the rain but than sitting a red light some high school graduate who got a gt500 as a graduation present the day before ran into me at 15mph. My rear bumper is screwed, exhaust is bent and stereo in trunk doesn't work at all, not very happy...:(

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that! I hope he's got plenty of insurance coverage. If you need help with replacement/repair values, you might need to get JonB involved. He's helped a lot of members (I assume you've joined by now :cool:) get replacement values on their Vipers.