$35Million bid for Viper Brand

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is interesting they did not disclose it. Then again how did it leak out? The buyers leak it? I seem to recall someone captured a bigfoot about a year ago as well :rolleyes:

Chrysler is not going to keep Viper in production after the "new chrysler" is made. Why would they pass at the chance to let it live on??

I guess some possibilites....

They never want to see another Viper (one without a Dodge logo)
The new owners were not American and did not want that on their hands

Dunno.....

OP
OP
B

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the current bid is $5.5 million by Scott Devon, owner of cole's quality foods and Devon motorworks. I don't know, but $5.5 mil seems like a bargain. I would think the ability to sell parts alone would be worth the price.

I assume they would only want to buy the name and leave the debt and liabilities to Chrysler, but what about sold orders and the cars currently under production? And will there be a forced sale of assets?

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think will happen to the availability of parts for our cars? I mean, I would think this is going to drastically increase the price for parts and trying to find parts in the future will be very difficult. I would really love to get a GTS but I am a little hesitant b/c of what is going on. Any insight.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think will happen to the availability of parts for our cars? I mean, I would think this is going to drastically increase the price for parts and trying to find parts in the future will be very difficult. I would really love to get a GTS but I am a little hesitant b/c of what is going on. Any insight.

The Viper to some extent is a parts-bin car....brake systems,transmissions,Dana rears,electrical systems (window motors,activation systems) are found in other cars....the body components are the only concern. There are enought donor parts around to keep availability high for quite some time.

OP
OP
B

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone will probably buy all of the existing inventory and parts and sell them off, kind of like what happened with Delorean. It's also possible the bankruptcy judge could order a sale of assets, and we could see all of the inventory auctioned off. In either case, parts will be available, but probably a little pricey. Eventually, the aftermarket people may step in and the parts will be made overseas which could bring prices down. The only problem with this is, the viper is such a low production car, it may not be worth it. It's also possible in the future the Viper will reach Cobra status and the kit car companies will reproducing our cars and parts. It's anyones guess, but I think in 10 years we will see a viper sell for $1 million dollars, and it probably won't be a new one!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the current bid is $5.5 million by Scott Devon, owner of cole's quality foods and Devon motorworks. I don't know, but $5.5 mil seems like a bargain. I would think the ability to sell parts alone would be worth the price.

I assume they would only want to buy the name and leave the debt and liabilities to Chrysler, but what about sold orders and the cars currently under production? And will there be a forced sale of assets?

All prior information I've seen was that the $5.5 million bid was for the CAAP facility, and not anything else Viper-related. In comparison, the $35 million bid was for the Viper production and CAAP too IIRC.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys i think it all goes a little deeper-further than the above(PAST HISTORY) as the Gen 4s did not sell well (dealers have been sitting on certain new cars for 17-18 months )so ANY consideration to buy the VIPER BRAND MUST include the production of the Gen 5 which the R&D has already been done for.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys i think it all goes a little deeper-further than the above(PAST HISTORY) as the Gen 4s did not sell well (dealers have been sitting on certain new cars for 17-18 months )so ANY consideration to buy the VIPER BRAND MUST include the production of the Gen 5 which the R&D has already been done for.

Bad,
How did you come to find out that R&D is complete for a GEN.5 Viper:dunno:..Kevin

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad,
How did you come to find out that R&D is complete for a GEN.5 Viper:dunno:..Kevin
It done YEARS in advance .Take the Ford GT for example first model year was 2005 yet MUCH of the R&D was done by 2003 Coletti actually purchased 2002 360S to benchmark with .

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It done YEARS in advance .Take the Ford GT for example first model year was 2005 yet MUCH of the R&D was done by 2003 Coletti actually purchased 2002 360S to benchmark with .

It doesn't necessarily mean that they've been working on it. Since they were not going to build it after the '09MY due to pending new crash standards I'm sure all development was either slowed or stopped.

OP
OP
B

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if they build it, it will be subject to the new higher fuel standards which means a bigger gas guzzler tax = mucho more $$$

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily mean that they've been working on it. Since they were not going to build it after the '09MY due to pending new crash standards I'm sure all development was either slowed or stopped.
The work is done and has been for some time.Look at it like this in a few months the Gen 4 motor design is 3 years old and the body style ect dates back to 2003 .If they started the R&D today ITS 3-4 YEARS AWAY from being produced whick is equal to 2013-2014. As i posted previously it takes many years to develop a new model =if it isnot done there is no Gen 5.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if they build it, it will be subject to the new higher fuel standards which means a bigger gas guzzler tax = mucho more $$$
At a sticker price ALREADY in mid 90s whats the difference of a few grand?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the internet. Everyone's an expert using internet gained "knowledge." Even the newspaper writers and magazine authors are not much deeper than the internet ocean they surf.

Carry on!

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fiat owns controlling interest in Ferrari and Maserati too, I believe. Chrysler will kill off Viper as a part of the Fiat deal. Fiat does not need another high performance brand or the competition.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With the government-backed Fiat purchase, and the fact that the courts seem to be setting all kinds of previously-impossible legal precedents these days, it wouldn't surprise me to see crash test standards relaxed in a big way. Just think - how much would it cost to make those tiny Fiat 500's pass the crash tests? I'd think that the feds would be very agreeable when manufacturers start crying about how hard it is to hit CAFE standards and still meet crash test guidelines...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the government-backed Fiat purchase, and the fact that the courts seem to be setting all kinds of previously-impossible legal precedents these days, it wouldn't surprise me to see crash test standards relaxed in a big way. Just think - how much would it cost to make those tiny Fiat 500's pass the crash tests? I'd think that the feds would be very agreeable when manufacturers start crying about how hard it is to hit CAFE standards and still meet crash test guidelines...
I believe the auto makers know of the govt standards YEARS in advance.In reference to the Ford GT Ford knew the car could not pass the Govt Standards (rear end )mandated in 2007 way back when the R&D WAS DONE in the early 2000s thet were content with only a two year run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper