(Austin - San Antonio folks) - Trip to San Antonio drag strip in a few weeks?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pasting an email I sent out to a few folks on my "car email list". Just wanted to invite others around the area, that may want to go along with us.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know how I am...., and if I do not "officially" set up a trip to the drag strip... I'm not gonna go. SO..... I wanted to try and set up a trip to the drag strip before it gets really REALLY hot outside here in Texas. I'll be out of town for most of July so I wanted to try and set something up before then in a few weeks from now.

If you don't want to go or can't go, then you don't have to respond and I will not bug you any further. For those of you that DO respond, I will circulate emails with you so we all can sync up.

If you DO want to go and (or) have friends that would like to go, relay the info to them or send me their email and I'll add them to the list.

DETAILS:

Right now I'm looking at going on a Friday evening (Test & Tune night), heading out of Austin AFTER 5:00.

Dates to go? (What day are you available to go, or not available to go?) Trying to find the best day that will work for all of us.

June 26
July 3

The gates open at 6:00 and time trials start at 6:30. It takes about 45 mins to get to S.A.R. from South Austin, so I would like to leave South Austin no later than around 5:45 or so...

I really don't want to stay out there all night, unless we are having an absolute blast and there is a reason to stay till midnight. I figured if we get there early enough when the gates open, we can get some passes in before alot of cars start showing up. Generally Fri night "Test & Tune" nights, it doesn't get too crowded, but you never know...

I personally would like to head back home around 10:00-ish if possible to get back to Austin at a reasonable time.

Let me know what day would be good for you! Thanks for your time!
--
Paul Daniels -FROG-

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
---------UPDATE--------

FYI we have quite a few cars maknig plans to go along.
Bunch of Vettes and Z06's
Handfull of Vipers & SC Viper
Few Mustangs, Camaros, F-Body, etc...
This could turn into a shootout, lol!

June 26 (Friday) - SAR Drag Strip! - MARK YOUR CALLENDERS! Seems like the best time would be on June 26th to head down to SAR. The response was a little better than I thought it would be so we should have a nice group for that Friday night. I will also need to respond on some of the boards where people showed interest but I didn't get their email address.

Welcome to San Antonio Raceway

I think the BEST spot for us to meet up, would be the Wal Mart parking lot, off South I35 and Slaughter. This spot is on the way out there and there is a big parking lot area behind the Whataburger and the Wal Mart gas station where we can all meet. Also give folks a chance to run into ol' Wals Marts and pick up anything you may need to take along. Heading on I35 southbound, take the "Congress Avenue Exit" (sign is there to tell you to exit). Wals Marts is right at the intersection od Slaughter and I35... can't miss it!

Time to meet - 5:30 We can wait around for a little while if you need us to, or you can meet us down at the track. But 5:30 at Wal Mart seems like a good time.

$20.00 to get in and race.

Will anyone be taking a truck/trailer to trailer your car down there? I personally would like to remove my spare tire and stuff like that and would prefer to put in the back of someone's truck, instead of laying in the parking lot, also have a backup gas can I would like to take along in the back of someone's pickup if that's ok.

Things to remember to take along:

Helmet - if you run 13.99 or faster. There are some at the track to rent I believe and a few uf us may share with you.

Glove - I actually need a glove on my right hand to keep from slipping off my shifter when racing. Just a thought...

Tire Pressure Guage / Air Tank - May want to check on some of the message boards and see what is the ideal pressure to run in your rear and front tires in the 1/4 mile. It can make a difference on your runs. Some folks bring along their own air tank, to air up the tires for ths drive back home, but I believe SAR has a big compressor they will let you use. I have used in the past.

Shift points - May want to research and see where everyone talks about what RPM to shift your car for the best results.

Extra Gas Tank - I run on low gas, so want to make sure I can make it back home!

Food at the track is priced cheap, so you can get something to eat there for a good price.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything. I'll update again as we get closer to the date. Feel free to call me if you would like.

Paul Daniels -FROG - (pm me for my phone number if you want. Email me [email protected] to get on the email list for this and future events.)