I bought a little piece of Viper history today--Lutz Viper

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been hunting a 92 Viper for awhile somewhat out of a sense of nostalgia. . I came close to pulling the trigger on a couple. Then I learned the "holy grail" was for sale--Bob Lutz' serial number 2 , 92 Viper. Having had every Gen of Viper, I had always wanted something with a little history to it.

I made the plunge and Bob's car arrives next week. It may or may not be an investment. I kind of wanted bookends of what I believe may be the beginning and end of DODGE Vipers --a 92 and 09. (hopefully someone else will pick up the brand)

If anyone has any pics of Bob's Viper from the early days I would love to see them.

Now to go clear out some space--this won't be a daily driver.:)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm extremely jealous. I'd love to have a 92'! Will you get to meet Lutz at all? I saw in the ad a buyer would have the choice if they wanted, but if you're having the car delivered, I guess thats a no?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AWSOME!!!!!!!

and what a 92 to own..

Think Bob Lutz is in the UK at the moment .. GM UK meetings..

Reaction score
How sweet is that? Great job I'm positive that will end up being a real keeper for you and a good investment choice down the line.

Very jealous!

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good upside potential in the future. Right now Mecum is selling off Billy Mitchell's Vette and it's going to take big $$$. This is the same kind of deal. Keep it, history will be kind to Lutz and the cars associated with him.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations! Awesome find!

I think we all know it will appreciate in the future. It has the best chance of that.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be the first to ask, how much ? :D

Way to go on the purchase.:2tu:

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A follow up and some answers:

1.Will you get to meet Bob Lutz?--my current plan barring work issues, is to fly up and meet Bob when Reliable picks up the car. I can tell you, that as you would expect Bob has been nothing but great to deal with, humble and unassuming. I feel like I am buying a car from Harley Earl--in my opinion, he is of that stature in auto folklore.

2.Far as I know Bob is not in the UK although I was there last week to get a preview of where our country is going , but I digress (I love London--what a great city)

3.Value/investment--at this point not thinking about it. If it appreciates, it will be the first time a car I owned that did. Just by me owning it, it has dropped in price.:smirk:

4.How much did I pay? I can certainly understand the question, but for a number of reasons I won't say. I rarely say what I pay for dealer cars also, but again understand why it is asked .

5.Vanity plate--doubt I will drive it other than to keep fluids up, but this is a tough one. All suggestions welcomed.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vanity plate could keep the Lutz Tradition of 2Viper

How many letters do you have to work with in your state?

2nd Vip/2ND SNK could be a good one too
WasLutz referring to its history
History..

Congrats again that is too cool! :2tu:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta agree, it's a great piece of Viper history. I'm sure it's worth some big bucks now, and it will surely be worth more in the future. Congratulations!:2tu:

Bill

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has a few other cars...

:D

Other Lutz stuff

And of course this famous story
...When coming in for a landing, Lutz was distracted by another pilot who aborted his takeoff and crossed Lutz's runway. Lutz landed safely but with his landing gear still retracted. Meeting soon after with a group that included a few journalists, rather than downplay the matter, Lutz strode in with a "you won't believe what I just did" attitude. "I have always wondered since my days in the Marines what it would be like to do a wheels-up landing," he said. "Now I know." Lutz was unscathed by the incident, but his L-39 faces a few months in the shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vanity plate could keep the Lutz Tradition of 2Viper

How many letters do you have to work with in your state?

2nd Vip/2ND SNK could be a good one too
WasLutz referring to its history
History..

Congrats again that is too cool! :2tu:

I like "waslutz"-have to check on that one. My cars now are "Viper1" and "Viper2".

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome purchase!! I saw the add and wished I could have afforded that piece of history. I agree with the above about keeping the tag as well as making it a part of the next VOI. Congrats!!

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
It absolutely will be a collector car down the road. First series Viper #2? Oh yeah. Keep it undercover for a couple decades and sell it for a mint. It will be great having a 40-year-old stock Viper in 2032 that can run circles around the 1.8L hybrid cars, powered by sunflowers and good will towards man, that the country will be driving by then.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome purchase!! I saw the add and wished I could have afforded that piece of history. I agree with the above about keeping the tag as well as making it a part of the next VOI. Congrats!!

Agreed here as well, you should definately take it to VOI 11! I expect lots of pictures, including the handshake with mr. Lutz!

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just returned from Detroit where I met with Bob and the truck was loaded with Reliable.

I hope to separately post a few photos (there were many) and briefly discuss.

To say today was the best Viper moment for me in 15 years would be a dramatic understatement. It is hard to put into words the kind of guy Bob Lutz is and what he has meant to guys (and girls) like us.