Stock 08 Viper 1/4 Mile Times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 08 Viper in August, 2008. It's a Snake Skin Green. Bought from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse in Nebraska. I never had any chance to go to the Drag Races until May 30th, 2009 at Fontana, California.

I was quite surprised that this car was quite quick. After a few runs, I made myself comfortable with this car and finally I got the best time. My best time was 11.893 and trap speed was 127.08MPH. My car is BONE stock. I wanted to keep it that way until I run the 1/4 Mile. I was quite surprised that I broke the 12s with the stock tires (with stock everything)!!!

FYI, my 588WHP Z06 with Hoosiers (345/30-19) made 11.3 at 130MPH a couple of months ago and my 911 Turbo (bone-stock with Chrono Pack) made 12.4 at 116MPH on the same track (different dates, though). (Of course, on both these cars, I didn't really do a good job because I only ran 3 times each when I ran 9 times on my Viper).

Nevertheless, this Viper is really something considering the fact that the Steet tires (PS2) are not really sticky enough to unleash all 600HP (at the crank).

After this event, I changed my rear gears to 4.10. (Some people told me 4.10 would be too short, but it's wrong. It's the MOST adequate gear ratio for the 8.4 engine, I think. FYI, the 8.4 puts LESS torque than 8.3 up to about 2500RPMs. Then after 2500 RPMs all the way to 6000 it makes a LOT more power. I think that's why 8.4 is quite good with 4.10 gear when 8.3 is not. My friend went through a lot of studies in his 8.3 and he found that for his car, it was the best for 3.55).

Anyways, when I do the intake, exhaust and ECU and put about 590WHP and when I get the 18 inch BFG Drag Radials, I don't think I would have any problems getting the time to low 10s.

I think I like my Viper. At first, I really didn't like it because I bought it right after I sold the M6. Compared to M6, which is pretty smooth and sophisticated, Viper was quite cheapy but after my run at Fontana and after I changed to 4.10 Gears, the weaknesses were pretty much forgettable! ;-) (Weakness: Too much noise and vibration; Too much squeaks and rattles on the dashboard).

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you dare compare BMW trash to a Viper on this forum or I will personally ***** slap you back into one of those *** cars where you belong. My family has owned many BMW's and I consider them to be overpriced, overhyped garbage. Did you ever wrench one of those bombs? Vipers don't advocate the superficiality of wood steering trim and other such dipsh1t trickery. It doesn't mean that they are junk.

Running an 11.8 in an '08 Viper is nothing to be proud of. You left at least a half second on the table and that's just for an average driver. An above average driver would be tinkering ever so close to the 10 second mark and a "*** Wee" Furman level driver would dunk it handsomely into the high 10's.

Now, get back out there and when you come back, be proper.

Last edited:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran at the fontana track earlier in the year and was able to muster an 11.19 and a best MPH of 129. You can leave hard there and slip the clutch. Go back and try it again and again, etc.. Have fun! BTW, my car is also 100% bone stock. ALso, love that track!

OP
OP
J

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haha... Thanks guys~! Ma man~! I love this forum. So, you are actually allowed to use harsh languages like that? hhh...

Oh, by the way, Alexarz, how do I put the list of cars that I have just like you did when you posted your reply? You have 06 Viper Coupe and 00 GTS?

OP
OP
J

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way, just so that you know, I'm a Road Racer. Not really a Drag Racer. I'm just getting used to the Drag Racing so gimme a break, would ya? ;-) I bet I can kick ass for many of guys out there on a track. So, let's be polite to each other... I've been driving for 23 years now but only started to drag race not too many years ago. I'm trying to learn myself, too, so please don't discourage me... Hehe...

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha... Thanks guys~! Ma man~! I love this forum. So, you are actually allowed to use harsh languages like that? hhh...

Oh, by the way, Alexarz, how do I put the list of cars that I have just like you did when you posted your reply? You have 06 Viper Coupe and 00 GTS?

Well, I would be lying if I denied receiving threats of being banned from time to time. Then again, I wouldn't consider myself a man if I couldn't handle such a fate should it happen.

The list of cars can be added in your profile. Of course, if you list anything other than Vipers, I might get upset. :lmao:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, just so that you know, I'm a Road Racer. Not really a Drag Racer. I'm just getting used to the Drag Racing so gimme a break, would ya? ;-) I bet I can kick ass for many of guys out there on a track. So, let's be polite to each other... I've been driving for 23 years now but only started to drag race not too many years ago. I'm trying to learn myself, too, so please don't discourage me... Hehe...
Actually, I have more respect for road racing than I have for drag racing (the miniature golf of motorsports). Just don't come on here blasting our beloved Viper on "low quality" because it is not true at all and it's as bad as calling my wife a "pig".

OP
OP
J

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I did it but it's still not working... Where do you exactly add it?

Nice meeting you by the way~!

OP
OP
J

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, I have more respect for road racing than I have for drag racing (the miniature golf of motorsports). Just don't come on here blasting our beloved Viper on "low quality" because it is not true at all and it's as bad as calling my wife a "pig".
===========================================================
Haha... I'm a muscle car fan, especially a Viper. That's why I bought it in the first place! We are on the same page...so don't worry about that. It's just that I like "other" brand cars as well. I don't have to love just the Viper to be in this Forum, right? ;-) Hehehe...

Here is the list of the cars I have right now...

08 SSG Viper Coupe, 4.10 Gears (Plan: Intake, Exhaust and ECU)
08 JSB Corvette Z06 (588WHP)(Plan: Nitrous)
07 Gray 997TT 6-Speed (Plan: Switzer's 750HP Package)
02 Blue M3 6-Speed (Stock; Track Car)
09 Black GL450 (Wife's)

=======================================

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
===========================================================
. I don't have to love just the Viper to be in this Forum, right? ;-) Hehehe...

=

No, you just have to love it the most. I can't blame a man for his propensity for desiring a little variety, just as long as he realizes the difference between his floozies and his wife.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those 4.10 gears are pretty short, but they might work. How much time is your car going to spend below 2500rpm at the strip? .05 sec?

Sittingbull101

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you dare compare BMW trash to a Viper on this forum or I will personally ***** slap you back into one of those *** cars where you belong. My family has owned many BMW's and I consider them to be overpriced, overhyped garbage. Did you ever wrench one of those bombs? Vipers don't advocate the superficiality of wood steering trim and other such dipsh1t trickery. It doesn't mean that they are junk.

Running an 11.8 in an '08 Viper is nothing to be proud of. You left at least a half second on the table and that's just for an average driver. An above average driver would be tinkering ever so close to the 10 second mark and a "*** Wee" Furman level driver would dunk it handsomely into the high 10's.

Now, get back out there and when you come back, be proper.
******** (unless you where joking)

OP
OP
J

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those 4.10 gears are pretty short, but they might work. How much time is your car going to spend below 2500rpm at the strip? .05 sec?

Actually, surprisingly, the driveability is pretty good considering the fact that the 8.4 has 1000 RPMs more to spend than the 8.3.

Plus, like I explained you in the previous thread, 8.4's lower RPM has actually less torque than the 8.3. You can check this out at Dodge's website (I found it somewhere)

Attachments

• Viper08SRTPresentationTorqueChart03079_1_.jpg
    Viper08SRTPresentationTorqueChart03079_1_.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
J

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No stripes... This is the picture of the car when I got it delivered from Woodhouse.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 38

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I would be lying if I denied receiving threats of being banned from time to time. Then again, I wouldn't consider myself a man if I couldn't handle such a fate should it happen.

The list of cars can be added in your profile. Of course, if you list anything other than Vipers, I might get upset. :lmao:

You know something Alexarz!! I like the way you think about the viper! I too have to endure a BMW in my driveway. I wanted to run over it with my diesel RAM, But then I would have to get a new GF:rolaugh: And by the way mine is pretty fine. Living here in Miami you have to live with all the German car phobia most everyone has!:crazy2:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "am" a VCA member. Well.. I'll just ask my friend (gripforcesrt10) on Monday... ;-)
You're still listed as an "enthusiast" , once they get that cleared up you can post a sig, and access other threads :omg:

I forwarded your post to the powers that be, maybe they can get that changed for you :drive:

OP
OP
J

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're still listed as an "enthusiast" , once they get that cleared up you can post a sig, and access other threads :omg:

I forwarded your post to the powers that be, maybe they can get that changed for you :drive:

Thank you for doing that to me... I appreciate it. That's called a nice guy!

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 08 Viper in August, 2008. It's a Snake Skin Green. Bought from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse in Nebraska. I never had any chance to go to the Drag Races until May 30th, 2009 at Fontana, California.

I was quite surprised that this car was quite quick. After a few runs, I made myself comfortable with this car and finally I got the best time. My best time was 11.893 and trap speed was 127.08MPH. My car is BONE stock. I wanted to keep it that way until I run the 1/4 Mile. I was quite surprised that I broke the 12s with the stock tires (with stock everything)!!!

FYI, my 588WHP Z06 with Hoosiers (345/30-19) made 11.3 at 130MPH a couple of months ago and my 911 Turbo (bone-stock with Chrono Pack) made 12.4 at 116MPH on the same track (different dates, though). (Of course, on both these cars, I didn't really do a good job because I only ran 3 times each when I ran 9 times on my Viper).

Nevertheless, this Viper is really something considering the fact that the Steet tires (PS2) are not really sticky enough to unleash all 600HP (at the crank).

After this event, I changed my rear gears to 4.10. (Some people told me 4.10 would be too short, but it's wrong. It's the MOST adequate gear ratio for the 8.4 engine, I think. FYI, the 8.4 puts LESS torque than 8.3 up to about 2500RPMs. Then after 2500 RPMs all the way to 6000 it makes a LOT more power. I think that's why 8.4 is quite good with 4.10 gear when 8.3 is not. My friend went through a lot of studies in his 8.3 and he found that for his car, it was the best for 3.55).

Anyways, when I do the intake, exhaust and ECU and put about 590WHP and when I get the 18 inch BFG Drag Radials, I don't think I would have any problems getting the time to low 10s.

I think I like my Viper. At first, I really didn't like it because I bought it right after I sold the M6. Compared to M6, which is pretty smooth and sophisticated, Viper was quite cheapy but after my run at Fontana and after I changed to 4.10 Gears, the weaknesses were pretty much forgettable! ;-) (Weakness: Too much noise and vibration; Too much squeaks and rattles on the dashboard).

What all do you have done to the Zed? I was able to run a 11.22 @ 127.9 on mine. I have an intake and a tune and that is with the stock GY runcraps. My 60ft is horrible - 2.3 :dunno:. I would think with Hoosiers and with 100whp more you should be deep in the 10s... ??

Congrats on the new Viper...as you get used to it, you should drop at least 1/2 a second of that time...the pS2s are sticky enough...now go to the road course - that is where real man drive real cars... :p

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There, I fixed it for ya :rolaugh:

TW, his time was bone stock...
His Z06 was wearing the Hoosiers...

I know...but I think a stock 08+ Viper should be deep in the low 11's BONE stock...with the PS2's - once he gets used to it, that is.

I was questioning his time on the Z06, as with stickies and with 100rwhp more than mine, that should be in the 10ths without any problem. I only have 492.6rwhp...and I am a couple of tenths from the tenths...and my biggest obstacle is traction as the GY runflats are rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper