Kinda new with some questions...

just a 6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned a 97 Blue and White GTS for a year or so now, but haven't really been on the forums except to lurk. Only mods on the car are a Hurst Billet Plus short throw shifter and some Kumho V700s. They throw a lot of rocks and I almost regret putting them on.

I have a few questions about the car, etc.

1) How can I find out if all the recall (PS bracket, Diff bracket) work has been done to this car?

2) Can I found out when it was built and/or the build #?

3) The car gets really hot in the Arizona heat. Is a big radiator my only option to keep it cool? I have to keep the AC off most of the time to keep it from overheating.

4) AC does not work too well. It has a slow leak (I will check near the compressor as I heard that is common) but even when charged it is pretty weak. Any tips?

5) In regards to the tires throwing rocks, anyone using that clear 3M rock chip stuff on their cars? How does the paint look after a year or 2 with that stuff on it?

6) Any other new guy tips/tricks or must do-s specific to a 97 gts?

Thanks all.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a 97 Blue and White GTS for a year or so now, but haven't really been on the forums except to lurk. Only mods on the car are a Hurst Billet Plus short throw shifter and some Kumho V700s. They throw a lot of rocks and I almost regret putting them on.

I have a few questions about the car, etc.

1) How can I find out if all the recall (PS bracket, Diff bracket) work has been done to this car?

2) Can I found out when it was built and/or the build #?

3) The car gets really hot in the Arizona heat. Is a big radiator my only option to keep it cool? I have to keep the AC off most of the time to keep it from overheating.

4) AC does not work too well. It has a slow leak (I will check near the compressor as I heard that is common) but even when charged it is pretty weak. Any tips?

5) In regards to the tires throwing rocks, anyone using that clear 3M rock chip stuff on their cars? How does the paint look after a year or 2 with that stuff on it?

Thanks all.

I have been putting film on vipers over the last 5 years... and its a great investment. Go with a good quality film and a good installer and you will be very happy with it.

Where are you located at? I may be able to help you find and installer...

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In addition to my SSG '08, I have a 1997 GTS too. I've got Borla exhaust, smooth tubes, a MGW shifter knob, chrome emblems, full stereo upgrade and a tinted rear window as my only mods. I've replaced my original tires with Kuhmos as well, so I feel your pain about throwing up rocks on the side sills. I'm going to probably do the actual full MGW shifter assembly next and then be done for a little while....well, maybe. :)

V

Venomiss

Since it sounds like you are from Arizona you might want to give Bill Luke's dealership a call? They have a pretty good reputation and are in your area.
The other two Viper Techs on these forums are Mark Jorgensen and Chuck Tator.
Give them a shout or a PM here.
Have the dealership you choose check to see what work has been done on it.

This link was on the Arizona Viper Club regional website:
Protective Film Solutions - Arizona Viper Club

Here is the main AZ website:
Home Page

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If you send me an Email to [email protected] with the name the car is in and the last 8 of the Vin I can find all the info for you. I can also offer some suggestions on the rest of your questions.

Thanks and welcome

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are anywhere near Phoenix, take your car to Eddie Martin at Bill Luke Dodge. He is a highly respected Viper tech and should have answers to your questions, especially as relates to coping with desert heat !

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks all.

My car had V700s when I bought it and i loved them. They are perfect for AZ roads but do throw a lot of rocks/dirt into the sills. I have not quite found a solution except to grin and bear it.

Get a Roe Adjustable Fan Controller to keep you car cool. Also check to see if your car has the new larger center mount fan or the old small offset fan. If you have the old fan, replace it! I did both these mods to my car and it runs around in 110* heat with no problems or concerns.

Fix your cooling issue and you should see better a/c as well. Check the Schrader valves on the a/c lines by the receiver/dryer as the seals can deteriorate over the years and they can loosen up just enough to have a small leak.

As far as other tips: go see Eddie Martin at Bill Luke, Join the VCA, and Drive that Car!!! :drive:

Welcome to the madness!

OP
OP
J

just a 6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
Good to know there is a lot of support in the Viper Community for new guys. I will check on the fan tonight. Something tells me it is the small fan.

As for the paint film... I guess I have 2 sub questions on it.
1) If I remove it in say 5 years will the paint look ok underneath? I know if you use one of those "bras" it destroys the paint (may be in part due to the vibration). Anyone done this? How hard is it to remove later?
2) Would it be safe to put on the sills too or would it bubble terribly. I would imagine it will bubble.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
welcome. you have already gotten a lot of good advice. how do you define overheating? getting close to the red mark or going past the red mark?

a common and fairly cheap mod was to put the '98 fan kit on. while it does work better, your car, in tucson, in the summer will run pretty hot in stop and go driving.

it will run cooler at highway speeds if you keep it in 5th or 6th and then get hotter again when you go to stoplight driving.

when the ac is on the fan is in high speed mode, something that will happen anyway when the cooolant temp gets above something like 230

if there is air in the system at all it will also run hotter.

clear film will not fare well on the side sills

OP
OP
J

just a 6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One more question I guess, is there a good place to find a 98+ fan kit?

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any of our fine site supporting vendors should have one:

Woodhouse Dodge, Jon B @ Parts Rack, Roe Racing, DC Performance, DLM, Viper Specialty, X2 Builders, et al.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

try "burping" the radiator first before you go switching anything. A lot of Vipers will see cooler temperatures by doing this. It will save you some money...