What to do with gas cap while fueling?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2003 SRT earlier this week and noticed that the fuel cap just dangles against the fender while fueling. Is my car missing a catch or something to hold the fuel cap string while filling up?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do exactly the same thing that plumcrazy suggests. No strap, put it on top of the gas pump. Don't put it on your car, the fumes will mess with the paint.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
06 did not have a strap as well....I just hold on to it...that way I know I won't forget it

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 has a little hook built on the gas cover that holds the strap/cap. It's painted the same as the car so it must have come that way.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the way its designed, I was thinking that it should have a strap...since mine doesn't, I guess I'll just cut the strap. I felt like a dumbazz holding the cap in my one hand and pumping gas with the other

Prowlyn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 04 has a holder/ hook at the top of the gas flap. I went to a locking gas cap. Keep the key on the ignition key ring. Leave the key in the cap as you will need it to lock the cap when finished. I won’t forget the cap as I would need my keys to start the Viper.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine in my pocket after leaving one on top of the pump. Not all the way down mind you as then it interfers with my thingamabob.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine in my pocket after leaving one on top of the pump. Not all the way down mind you as then it interfers with my thingamabob.

Doesn't that make you smell like gas? Then again, if you like the smell of gasoline, I guess its just an added bonus and cheaper than a bottle of cologne :D And for the love of money, I hope you don't smoke :omg:

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slow day for sure, but keep in mind there are lots of little things some people take for granted that others have never thought of or seen, like the double height adjustment knuckles on rear view mirrors. Lots didn't know that seemingly common knowledge.
In school there was no such thing as a stupid question, well till you're on a forum anyways.:rolaugh:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just let it hang on the bumper. If your not smacking it around its not going to hurt the paint.

Assuming the door doesn't have the hook.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I'll just cut the strap.

Just detach it at both ends. That way you can use the tether later if you wish...

Or get one of those small black self adhesive hooks. I recall someone mentioning that their 08 came from the factory with a self adhesive hook attached...

FWIW, my 06 had both hook (welded on the inside of the fuel door) and tether. My 08 has neither...

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '05 had the strap, I just set it gently against the fender while filling up. It's not like you're going to rock the car back and forth while your at a standstill filling the car. I drove that car every day for 3yr/36K iles and the fumes never messed wit the paint.
My '08 didn't come with the strap (a Friday build for sure) and it drove me crazy, having to put it on the dirty gas pump with all the dust and grime, then sticking it back onto my filler neck. I felt like some of that dirt was going to get into the tank. I had my dealer get the strap and it use it, carefully.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2003 SRT earlier this week and noticed that the fuel cap just dangles against the fender while fueling. Is my car missing a catch or something to hold the fuel cap string while filling up?

There should be screw holding down the strap. Better to unscrew that piece to take off the whole strap, or it'll be irritating you everytime you fill the tank. Then just cut the strap at the cap itself.

my .02

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my '01 RT/10 late last year and it had this thin piece of dense foam padding tucked around the gas cap. I just figured that it was OEM, but now that I read this thread, the previous owner must have put it there and used it to put the gas cap on while fueling...

picture.php

picture.php

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my '01 RT/10 late last year and it had this thin piece of dense foam padding tucked around the gas cap. I just figured that it was OEM, but now that I read this thread, the previous owner must have put it there and used it to put the gas cap on while fueling...

This is actually OEM. My car didn't have one when I bought it (may just be a Gen 2 thing?), but I ordered one from Dodge for like $5. It fits around the filler neck (yours should still work ok even though its ripped). The idea is, you pull it out and rest the gas nozzle on it so the nozzle doesn't have to lean on the paint when your fueling up. I just put my gas cap on top of the pump when fueling up.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is actually OEM. My car didn't have one when I bought it (may just be a Gen 2 thing?), but I ordered one from Dodge for like $5. It fits around the filler neck (yours should still work ok even though its ripped). The idea is, you pull it out and rest the gas nozzle on it so the nozzle doesn't have to lean on the paint when your fueling up. I just put my gas cap on top of the pump when fueling up.
It was OEM for Gen I also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper