Who has installed a shifter from the top?

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing as how I don't have access to a lift, and like to do mods myself, can anyone post instructions on how to install the shifter from inside the car? Have the Woodhouse shifter sitting in a box and figure it's about time. Hopefully before the next track day.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's very simple to do and it's the only way to do it is from the top. No instructions? I did the B&M. Just don't drop the bolts inside the case.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a couple B&M installs and they are pretty straight forward. They come with instructions but if you need any help, PM me and I'll be happy to help you out!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what he is looking for is a semi-step by step idea of how it is done. Like:

1. remove the center console
2 . remove shifter
3. etc..

Pictures would be great too. :D :D

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So an '09 is out? At least from going in from the top?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've pulled the console apart to see about doing it from the top & you'd have to get at the 3 bolts blocked off by the trans tunnel, I guess drilling thru it from what I've found searching. I've done shifter swaps on many of my mustangs, my 2000 RT/10, & my CTS V, all from the top, the Viper gen3 seems way more difficult than those. The gen3 & gen4 should be very similar in terms of installing, I don't belive the console & tunnel are very different but I've only pulled the gen3 console apart.

I have an SVS shifter sitting here & struggling with how I want to approach the install ...

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the shifter out from the bottom is easier, you just remove the belly pan, put a jack under the transmission and take of the mount. Lower the transmission and you can remove the shifter (after you have taken the handle off)

You can not access all of the bolts from the top unless you cut special holes in the transmission tunnel and this is not worth it in my opinion.

I actually drilled the rivets on mine, put threaded inserts in there place and made my removable (dust boot), but I still had to access two bolts (one was necessary) from the bottom as I was not going to make unnecessary holes in the tunnel.

It was way easier when I did the next one from the bottom. Again, this is just my experience on the Gen III/IV cars.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R