Exhaust Leak Found - Crack in Exhaust Manifold / Header (pics)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks to Doug Levin, gbatejan, and 1fastviper - you guys nailed it! Fairly substantial crack/opening in my drivers side header that was most noticeable when cold starting, but really quieted down after warm up.

Exhaust_Header_Manifold_Leak_2_Medium_.JPG

Exhaust_Header_Manifold_Leak_1_Medium_.JPG

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our 04 manifold also went out a few weeks ago. We all have our opinion as to what is the best header depending on application for the situation. Ours is a daily driver and this finishes all possible mods to our car before going internally in to the engine. Dan at D.C. Performance on the West Coast installed American Racing for our car. Clean and simple.

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I like your thought process and beleive me, I am very tempted to go that route ..... But, in order to do that with my Street Serpent, I would have to do some substantial work on my exhaust (has the mopar race exhaust minus one cat, all welded together) and remove the side sills, which is a bit of a pain with my body kit. I am therefore going to stay stock with this Street Serpent as I am thinking very hard about another Viper project. Biggest issue with doing the other project is a non-understanding wife ...... but that's another story.

You know what you need? You need to upgrade to a real set of headers! Just got them ceramic coated to keep the temps down. Check these out:

Viper SRT-10 headers 1 3/4" - ViperClub Classifieds

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Doug Levin, gbatejan, and 1fastviper - you guys nailed it! Fairly substantial crack/opening in my drivers side header that was most noticeable when cold starting, but really quieted down after warm up.

I just installed Roe racing H/F cats with the stock mufflers on my 08.
The car is also much louder when cold starting and quiets down after warm-up. Could I have cracked a header when installing or is this normal ?

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hard to say without hearing it, but my exhaust leak was fairly obvious to the ear as the noise was definitely coming from the engine compartment. It was not so obvious to see or find as the crack was on the engine side and covered up with some heat shielding.

The car is also much louder when cold starting and quiets down after warm-up. Could I have cracked a header when installing or is this normal ?

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have Randomn Tech Hi Flow Cats on my 2009 with stock manifolds and mufflers and it does the same thing on mine. Loud for about a minute then settles down. This is not a result of a crack in the manifold, instead it is the motor causing a different tone during cold start and the fact the cats aren't heated up yet. I have a BMW M6 and it does the same thing. Quiets down after about 1 minute.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Randomn Tech Hi Flow Cats on my 2009 with stock manifolds and mufflers and it does the same thing on mine. Loud for about a minute then settles down. This is not a result of a crack in the manifold, instead it is the motor causing a different tone during cold start and the fact the cats aren't heated up yet. I have a BMW M6 and it does the same thing. Quiets down after about 1 minute.

Thanks for the confirmation, this is exactly what it does.
I was surprised as my SRT8 Jeep with Headers,H/F cats and catback sounds the same hot or cold.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to dig this up from the grave of 2009 but what do you guys do to remedy this situation? Have a welder fix it with a big fat weld or does everyone just upgrade headers? Also, do aftermarket headers crack much (possibly some more than others?)

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 2005 that probably suffers from the same.

if the manifold is beyond repair im going straight to headers as the manifolds are just not quality pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper