n00b at large, with Viper dreams

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings guys, I'm not quite at the verge of buying a Viper but I'm hoping to put myself in a position to do so in the next year or less. I've got some experience with decently fast cars, nothing really like a Viper though, but I've owned among other things, a 1974 Dodge Dart, 1971 Dodge Charger, and a 2003 SRT-4. I currently own a 2006 Charger SRT-8 (my DD now), 2005 SRT-4 (Stage 3, traps 120mph+, rebuilding engine and tranny right now), and a 2006 Evolution IX RS (planning to sell this for the Viper).

I look at the Viper as the "end game" for my car obsession. I figure I've spent so much money buying and modding cars that I figure I need to "put an end" to the car swapping at least. Modding, definitely not, but I've been through so many cars in the last few years that I want to get just one car that I pretty much can't ever upgrade from (not into Euro exotics), and that car is my dream car, the Dodge Viper.

With that said, I'm definitely by no means rich, but I do ok, I my annual salary is more than the MSRP of a new Viper for what it's worth. That being the case though, I'm looking at comparing used 2008's for around $75-80k to used 2006's for $45-50k, roughly a $30k price difference. I think for that $30k I could build quite a monster of a 2006, would you agree? I really have no idea what the costs are for the Viper for various things right now, such as coilovers, exhausts, and turbo kits... but I'm assuming I could do most of those for around that $30k and wind up being much faster than a stock 2008. Of course I'll be researching this until I have a really solid idea and the right car comes across my path, but any comments on that are welcome.

All that said (sorry, I know this is an epic first post), I believe these are the main advantages that the 2008's have over the 2006's, anyone care to comment on these changes (particularly the transmission change) and tell me if they really feel that $30k is better spent on a stock 2008 over a 2006+mods? Warranty is not a concern to me, and 600HP is not enough for me. I have too many friends here in Austin and nearby that have 600-700whp Supras, Evos, GTOs, and Z06's and I just want to be the rare Viper among them.

Anyway, since I'll probably get banned for writing a book of a first post, I'll just list the changes I have read up on that were introduced in the 2008's.

Changes for 2008.

8.4L engine
- 100bhp increase
- Variable valve timing
- Better flowing head
- 300rpm increase to rev limit
- Electronic throttle bodies (no more throttle cable, not a fan of that myself)

TR6060 transmission (T56 was the previous model)
- Triple-synchros for the first gear
- Double-sychros for higher gears

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires (improvement over the III run-flats)

ViscoLok LSD

Springs, swaybars, shocks changed

Reworked exhaust system reduces cabin heat

New electrical and engine management system

Increased capacity of fueling system (presumably to handle the increased power)

That's about it from what I can tell. The thing I wonder is how much it would cost to get most of that back on an '06. Coilovers, LSD, tires, and then some engine mods (or TT kit..), but at what cost? I'm still researching but I'm trying to determine if I can get an '06 for around $50k and throw another $15-20k at it and exceed the performance of the '08 (bearing in mind MSRP on the 08/09's is $90k), but I don't know right now.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Buy a mint Gen II. Better looking body, and all the creature comforts. Add a twin turbo or DLM supercharger package and you'll run circles around the 08's and 09's, and look better than them while doing it, and still save about $20k.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a mint Gen II. Better looking body, and all the creature comforts. Add a twin turbo or DLM supercharger package and you'll run circles around the 08's and 09's, and look better than them while doing it, and still save about $20k.

But the gen3/4's have a "cupholder"! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

OP
OP
S

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh, not worried about the cupholders, my Evo IX RS doesn't even have power windows/door locks, or stereo equipment or sound deadening. I firmly believe in having a DD and a "holy s**t" and keeping them separate.

I've considered the Gen2's also, but my concern is the handling. What does it take to make a Gen2 handle as neutral and predictable as the Gen4? Is there anything fundamental about the Gen4 that you can't really make up for?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh, not worried about the cupholders, my Evo IX RS doesn't even have power windows/door locks, or stereo equipment or sound deadening. I firmly believe in having a DD and a "holy s**t" and keeping them separate.

I've considered the Gen2's also, but my concern is the handling. What does it take to make a Gen2 handle as neutral and predictable as the Gen4? Is there anything fundamental about the Gen4 that you can't really make up for?

No problems handling a Gen2 at all. Driven a gen 2 and 3 pretty extensively and can say the Gen3 is the better driver, but the Gen2 is no slouch. You feel more connected to the gen2 as well... and of course, it looks much better. :D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an ACR gen 2. Then you can handle while doing laps around the newer ones and the ACR decal on the side looks cool too! :D

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at the Viper as the "end game" for my car obsession.

There is never an end with any obsession, especially car obsessions! I say, if financially responsible for you, get the Viper you want. You only live once:)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy as much Viper as you can comfortably afford:)

oh...and welcome to the forum!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings guys, I'm not quite at the verge of buying a Viper but I'm hoping to put myself in a position to do so in the next year or less. I've got some experience with decently fast cars, nothing really like a Viper though, but I've owned among other things, a 1974 Dodge Dart, 1971 Dodge Charger, and a 2003 SRT-4. I currently own a 2006 Charger SRT-8 (my DD now), 2005 SRT-4 (Stage 3, traps 120mph+, rebuilding engine and tranny right now), and a 2006 Evolution IX RS (planning to sell this for the Viper).

I look at the Viper as the "end game" for my car obsession. I figure I've spent so much money buying and modding cars that I figure I need to "put an end" to the car swapping at least. Modding, definitely not, but I've been through so many cars in the last few years that I want to get just one car that I pretty much can't ever upgrade from (not into Euro exotics), and that car is my dream car, the Dodge Viper.

With that said, I'm definitely by no means rich, but I do ok, I my annual salary is more than the MSRP of a new Viper for what it's worth. That being the case though, I'm looking at comparing used 2008's for around $75-80k to used 2006's for $45-50k, roughly a $30k price difference. I think for that $30k I could build quite a monster of a 2006, would you agree? I really have no idea what the costs are for the Viper for various things right now, such as coilovers, exhausts, and turbo kits... but I'm assuming I could do most of those for around that $30k and wind up being much faster than a stock 2008. Of course I'll be researching this until I have a really solid idea and the right car comes across my path, but any comments on that are welcome.

All that said (sorry, I know this is an epic first post), I believe these are the main advantages that the 2008's have over the 2006's, anyone care to comment on these changes (particularly the transmission change) and tell me if they really feel that $30k is better spent on a stock 2008 over a 2006+mods? Warranty is not a concern to me, and 600HP is not enough for me. I have too many friends here in Austin and nearby that have 600-700whp Supras, Evos, GTOs, and Z06's and I just want to be the rare Viper among them.

Anyway, since I'll probably get banned for writing a book of a first post, I'll just list the changes I have read up on that were introduced in the 2008's.

Changes for 2008.

8.4L engine
- 100bhp increase
- Variable valve timing
- Better flowing head
- 300rpm increase to rev limit
- Electronic throttle bodies (no more throttle cable, not a fan of that myself)

TR6060 transmission (T56 was the previous model)
- Triple-synchros for the first gear
- Double-sychros for higher gears

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires (improvement over the III run-flats)

ViscoLok LSD

Springs, swaybars, shocks changed

Reworked exhaust system reduces cabin heat

New electrical and engine management system

Increased capacity of fueling system (presumably to handle the increased power)

That's about it from what I can tell. The thing I wonder is how much it would cost to get most of that back on an '06. Coilovers, LSD, tires, and then some engine mods (or TT kit..), but at what cost? I'm still researching but I'm trying to determine if I can get an '06 for around $50k and throw another $15-20k at it and exceed the performance of the '08 (bearing in mind MSRP on the 08/09's is $90k), but I don't know right now.

Ive been following your thread for some time as you are making the exact decision I am in. I have been watching the replies.

Last few toys included a 12 sec SRT-6 and 12 sec SRT-4 with a Viper been one of my "dreams" ever since I was a "kid". I thought I was set on finding a Gen 2 ACR, its what I wanted for the last decade! However with the updated interior and such I dont think I could do it, I have to get an SRT-10.

Now I need to decide, go the "cheapest route" on an 03/04, spend a little more and get what I would prefer- Coupe, meaning 06, or make the bigger jump and get what I drool over... 08 SSG coupe. I think its the color more than anything, having the extra 100 horse is awesome! But I have drooled over that color for a few years now! But as you have found that could mean almost double of an 03/04
:crazy2:

I like the
There is never an end with any obsession, especially car obsessions! I say, if financially responsible for you, get the Viper you want. You only live once :)

However that means another 30k+, which unfortunately I should try and not spend. :(

Guess I will continue to wait, watch, save, and drool over my dream.. SSG Coupe! :headbang:

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Check with some of the custom Viper tech's around, and find out who's selling their already heavily modded viper. Buying one thats already modded will save you a fortune over adding the mods yourself after the purchase.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are located near a few of the site sponsors that do mods I would call them and ask what they could do on which year Viper for how much before you buy a Viper. Ask the experts before committing money will get you the best overall deal and as a bonus, most are awesome to deal with and happy to help.

OP
OP
S

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, I do appreciate the feedback and since I'm not in a major hurry, I'll just be soaking up all the info I can here on the forums.

OP
OP
S

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did drive one, at the SRT Experience in Houston at MSR about 2 years back. They only let us take it on the auto-x course, so never out of 1st gear, but it was still awesome, and then I got a ride-along with the instructor on the main track. The "something's wrong here" survival instinct was ringing the whole time on the track, it was awesome! =]

I think I'm going to take the same approach as ACRucrazy, I'll wait for the one I want to fall into my sights. For me it's got to be either an 08 SSG or an 08 ACR, black with the red driver's stripe.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you shop an 08 you can find low mileage ones with warranty for mid 60s.If you get a 06 (say high 40s low miles )and dump 20 grand plus in mods (which you NEVER will get back on resale )and something happens major (blown engine ect )your on your own.(You HAVE a car you paid high 40s for ,dumpted 20 grand more in mods thats sitting in your driveway THAT NEEDS 15 GRAND more TO FIX ).Get THE 08 .

OP
OP
S

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So uh, not sure how long I can continue to bump my own intro thread, but until it's locked I guess, haha.

I've been looking closely at Gen II's for the last week or two, I never realized how hot they are in black with the right rims... and they've already taken most of the depreciation by now. I'm thinking what if I just get a Gen II sooner, like this year, play with it for a year or two, and then upgrade to a Gen IV? I'm going to do some research on the Gen II's and see what I would be getting myself into... 1999 seems like a good year, with a big brake upgrade, coilovers, rims, h/c/e. I could get my Viper fix a lot sooner that way.

OP
OP
S

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better than thread-jacking myfault's thread I guess, haha.

So yeah, I like the black GTS that's for sale in SF, and since I'm taking a business trip out there for the next two weeks I'm going to see if I can check it out while I'm there. I'm still at least 2-3 months from buying, either way, as I'd want to move my Evo IX and SRT-4 first.