Help - Brokedown in France

Miguel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in France and my Viper STR10 failed to start this morning. Initially it did a half crank when I pressed the ignition button, but after that it did nothing. It has plenty of power but I get nothing when I pressed the ignition button. I checked the fuses and relays and they all seem to be fine. I also can hear a click near the fuse box when the ignition bottom is pressed, but again the started does not turn.

Are the any other fuses/relays that should be checked outside of the fuse box?
Is there anyway I can test the started and can it be anything else?
I will really appreciate any help as the mechanics here (small village in France) have never seen a Viper before.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clicking noise you hear could be that your battery is discharged....remember the battery on the SRT-10 is in the back and a common problem -particularly when the Battery is dated or car has been stored for some time. You can jump start it by first connecting the "jump start cable" to the positive pole located in the intergrated power control box (red plastic connector -locater clue); your negative should have a solid ground i.e water pump cover bolt (engine compartment); if you do not have solid connections it will still click. Best thing to do is remove your battery and have it checked.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Miguel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The clicking noise you hear could be that your battery is discharged....remember the battery on the SRT-10 is in the back and a common problem -particularly when the Battery is dated or car has been stored for some time. You can jump start it by first connecting the "jump start cable" to the positive pole located in the intergrated power control box (red plastic connector -locater clue); your negative should have a solid ground i.e water pump cover bolt.....; if you do not have solid connections it will still click. Best thing to do is remove your battery and have it checked.......

The battery is fully charged or at least it seems to be as everything else is working

OP
OP
M

Miguel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you tried to swap a different relay into the starter relay position?

I will try this, I am in about 200 miles from the car right now, but will go back tonight and try again. Anything else that I should I should try?

Thank you for your comments. Please keep sending them

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery is fully charged or at least it seems to be as everything else is working

Lights,radio will work with a partially charged battery...give a jump start a try - that starter takes alot of amps to crank particularly since the current is coming from the back (I had the same kind of problem when my orginal battery would not take a full charge on the Mamba) ...also could be starter solenoid....how many miles on the car and battery?????

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree that battery is still very high on the list of worries. You might try jumping it first with another battery or portable battery pack as an easy test.

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
all of your accessories can work with a "weakened" battery, since they don't draw much power.

Jump start it, it needs full power move that starter.

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still betting on the fuse- many of us have had this exact problem, but seeing that the fuse is blown is difficult. In a thread started by Scottcot on May 22, 2009, he described the identical problem you have described and I also had on my '03. MJorgenson said to Check the 20 amp ASD fuse mid way in the Power Distribution box under the hood. Later models actually came with an up rated 25 amp fuse. i'm still running with the first replaced 20 amp, but have a 25 amp spare in the car now just in case.

If a jump start doesn't work, this is where to look, as it's on the low voltage side of the circuit.

Hope this helps- best of luck.

OP
OP
M

Miguel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may be more effectively handled with a phone call.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Steve, you said that this could be handle better with a phone call, where can I call you and let me know which time zone you are in.

Best Miguel

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like battery ...
They do click if its low.. Would try a jump pack or a boost from another car first off.....

Soory to hear this after you trip to the UK.. Met you at Gaydon...

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still betting on the fuse- many of us have had this exact problem, but seeing that the fuse is blown is difficult. In a thread started by Scottcot on May 22, 2009, he described the identical problem you have described and I also had on my '03. MJorgenson said to Check the 20 amp ASD fuse mid way in the Power Distribution box under the hood. Later models actually came with an up rated 25 amp fuse. i'm still running with the first replaced 20 amp, but have a 25 amp spare in the car now just in case.

If a jump start doesn't work, this is where to look, as it's on the low voltage side of the circuit.

Hope this helps- best of luck.

Would have to agree with this fuse being blown.Have seen tis many times at the track.Step up to the 25 amp fuse.If you have a test light easy to check if not just pull the fuses and look for a blown fuse.If checking with a light make sure the key is in the run position.
Call if needed 910-228-8477 . EST 215 PM here now will be around for the next several hours

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Miguel, if you need help sourcing a battery in France let me know, im in touch with the French club and they may have a few ideas

was this your trip you was telling me about to the South of France/Monaco when we went around the Aston Martin test track

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
USA...Indy...Eastern Daylight Time...probably about 6 hrs. behind you... Will have 2003 Servive Manual handy if you need info. Harder for me to walk you through actual 03 Viper as ours is up top on a lift. After reading your other posts, I'm betting even more on the battery...but still just guessing!! :)

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Miguel, it was great to speak with you...AND, it was very kind of Viper Guru Tom Sessions to call me with some info just before you called. Hopefully, you are on the right track to fix your Viper !!!

Call me if you need more info.

P.S. After your description of the trip...I'M JEALOUS!!!!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd suggest PUSH starting and driving the car to a good garage ... if it's just the starter circuit that's failed. To test while moving, shut off engine and attempt to restart. (Don't forget to activate clutch switch) If nothing happens, let out the clutch while rolling along to restart.

Your description of a "half turn" does sound like an electical failure, but it could be a battery connection, relay, etc. etc.

Good Luck.

Ted

OP
OP
M

Miguel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your recommendations and postings, will definitely try ALL of them:). Unfortunately, I had to continue with the trip and had to leave the car behind (Neil, yes this is the trip that I was talking about when we met at Gaydon).

Steve, thank you for your time and all the tips you gave me. I really appreciate your help.
Tom, I tried to call you, in case you see some missed calls from a strange number. Will try again tomorrow
I always believe that the internet is a great thing, but now I see that it is the people that make it great.

Thank you,

Miguel

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Miguel, Sorry I missed you. Was out on the waterway with the family.If you need to you can reach me after 1pm EST on sunday.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad Steve was able to help you, he is probably one of the most knowledgeable Viper guys here on the forum:)

OP
OP
M

Miguel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am happy to report my car is back on the road and working fine. It was the ASD fuse.

Thank you for all your help with this.

Best,

Miguel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth