Thread: Buying a new viper, few questions!

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default Buying a new viper, few questions!

Buying a viper, a few questions.
    Hello everyone, I was doing some research on google and I came across this wonderful site!

I am interested in purchasing a viper GTS, possibly 1997 or 1998. I most likely will bring one up from the states for around 40K U.S the car I get for that money should have around 15 or 20K miles on it.

My first question is what will I be getting myself in to?
    what kind of mechanical troubles can I expect from a used viper and on average what will it cost?

Going forward what is the maintenance schedule like, and how much will each maintenance trip cost me?

Please just throw some advise my way and let me know!

On a second note, I may be interested in modding my viper mildly.
    First is lowering the vehicle, I'm a little sad about the giant wheel gap the vehicle has!

If I wanted to lower the vehicle 1", are the stock shocks stiff enough to take this additional load? or will they blow out on me after a year * just like lowering a honda or acura.... *

or Should I spend 2 grand and get 1" lowering springs + shocks.

Secondly since a viper is already 5" off the ground, if I dropped her 1 more inch can I even clear speed bump? and pull out of my drive way?

Last would be engine mods.
    Since she has a wicked V10 how much would it cost for parts or install on the following.
    for a cold air intake
    race headers * remove the catalytic converter *
    and full exhaust?

What kind of power numbers would I see, and after would it be worth re flashing the ECU to tune the engine to the additional air flow?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated guys!
    Thank you!.

Enthusiast

Default Re: Buying a new viper, few questions!

What country are you importing the Viper into?
    You should look at my car, although it is a 2001 (the advantage will be ABS, plus it has a lot of the mods you are talking about doing):
    Sapphire GTS with Silver Stripes, HRE wheels - ViperClub Classifieds

VCA Member
    Midwest
    Supporting Vendor

You have a PM, but call Mark Jorgensen at our Dealership and he can chat with you on suspension changes and what really works best. I likely am a bit biased , but I have been racing with him for about 20 years ( working with him for 6 ) and he knows suspensions and what does and doesn't work. Concerning your other questions , we do an unbelievable amount of modifications, but some changes you do now could cause you possible problems in importing and I would be happy to go over what I know on some of them.

Best Regards,
    Bill Pemberton
    Woodhouse
    1-800-889-1893
    Bill Pemberton
    Woodhouse Viper & SRT Sales Mgr
    [email protected]
    1-800-889-1893/cell 402-677-5864

Enthusiast

You should check with your local club (presumably Canada) about the rules and costs with doing the international purchase and transfer.

Viper Owner

I just brought an RT.10 up from LA to Vancouver and the only mod I had to do was the Daytime Running Lights,

A 3 inch piece of wire in the fusebox running from a (switched)hot fuse to the Foglights and that was done! If you ask Chrysler to do it expect to pay $500 plus just for the module.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by eliems View Post
    I just brought an RT.10 up from LA to Vancouver and the only mod I had to do was the Daytime Running Lights,

A 3 inch piece of wire in the fusebox running from a (switched)hot fuse to the Foglights and that was done! If you ask Chrysler to do it expect to pay $500 plus just for the module.
    I purchased my rt/10 out of the states and I only had to add day time running lights I paid under $200 canadian at a dodge dealer for the correct daytime running light module. A much better option than adding a piece of wire. IMO

Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

As for the purchase, I will be bringing a viper in to Canada from the States.
    I'm clear on the process and fee's etc, the biggest question I'm looking at currently is the operating price of a dodge viper.

I plan on driving it 10 - 12000 KM per year, I doubt I'll let her see the streets any more then that. what kind of problems do 2nd gen vipers come across? and what is the maintenance like, ie oil change prices, what is required to be fixed and certain intervals.

as far as the suspension etc I'll start making phone calls once I have a vehicle and get serious about other mod's.

So everyone understands better I'm still learning about them and looking at some for sale. I don't want to start phoning people and taking up there time with mod information unless I actually have the vehicle.

So some information as far as the average cost for bolt on mods and how much performance I may see would be great, again it is just food for thought.

Biggest concern is finding out how expensive it is to maintain a viper.

thanks again for your help guys!.

Venomiss

Try the search feature at the top-plug in maintenance cost.
    Here a few of the many threads that comes up:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gt...ownership.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gt...g-rt-10-a.html

Know any Viper owners in your area who have owned their Vipers for sometime?
    Where in Canada are you from?