Intermittent Drivers Window

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, at just over 13K miles on the clock this problem showed itself.:( From what I've seen on threads in the past, this must be a common "bug" for Vipers. Anyone know off hand which color wire it should be? Thought I'd ask before digging in the manual. Also, would it be best to unhook the battery before soldering the wire, or will the window switch isolate voltage from this wire while it's being worked on?:confused: Any tricks anyone has would be appreciated. How often can I expect a "bug" in wireing at the door hinge?:rolleyes:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant say what color it is but it is very obvious, with a little tugging the broken wires will pop right out.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It might not be a bad wire. Mine wasn't and I had intermittent window problems on both sides.

In my case all I had to do was remove both window switches and clean off the contacts. I used a can of electrical contact cleaner and hosed them down and wiped between the contact points. No more window problems in over a year now.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem and it turned out to be switches. You can take them apart and clean the contacts, but it is just easier to replace the bad switch.

firstcolonial

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Dave...I had the same problem it was the switch..I would recommend replacing as inexpensive as they are due to the fact the plastic console trim is flimsy and best if you take it off just once imo(if you clean the wires, switch etc it may work but most likely wont last---no offense Jeff I'm sure it did work for you. :)

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I was wondering what to do with these things?!?? No wonder I have three sets!!

-J

OP
OP
O

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many thanks to The Wizard,Dave,Rt,Jeff,Goldcup,and Col. I guess Vipers are like a good woman, it's always something but they're damn well worth it.;) Or, like my old pappy used to say: "If it's got **** or tires, you're going to have problems!":2tu:

alexander m embry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The window wires are the thicker of the wires that go through the boot between the door and car and may be the reason they usally are not the wires that break.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more vote for the problem being the switch contacts. I cleaned mine and have had no more problem. They are inexpensive to replace with new, but it's only a matter of cleaning the old contact surface with light sandpaper. Although the switches are sealed, I wonder if the contacts get so dirty because they are in an area of the console we always have to reach across... shifter, radio, A/C, heater, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper