Poll: Daily Driver yes or no...

Is (one of) your Viper(s) a daily driver?

• I have an RT/10 daily driver

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I have a GTS daily driver

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I do not drive (any of) my RT/10(s) daily

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • I do not drive (any of) my GTS(s) daily

Votes: 85 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are threads about whether Vipers can be, should be, or are someone's daily driver. Mine is. Because there are too many variations ("yes, but only if I park far away"; "no, only because of ocean spray...") this is a simple poll for actual owners (please) and simply whether they do or not.

Let's make one variation - RT or GTS. Although my RT is a DD, I don't think everyone has successfully eliminated the water leaks. We'll find out!

edit: For those with more than one car, and specifically if you have both an RT and a GTS, I allowed multiple answers so you can say you drive one daily and the other not.

edit #2: Let's keep this to Gen 1 and Gen 2 for now; I think that is where the usual questions come from.

Last edited:

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I voted no on my GTS because I don't like the car being out of my sight unless it's locked in the garage. I do drive it to work once a month and drive the car at least once a week. 77,925 miles and counting.

Rob

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No for me. I would consider a GTS a semi-practical DD, but not a RT/10. Too many chances of a "pop up" rain storm here in the south if you're riding around w/o the top on. Plus the issue of car security if you have a Gen 1. Even with a GTS (or Gen 3-4), I wouldn't like the idea of driving in the rain due to the huge tires and possible hydroplaning. Door dings and vandalism in general would also be a worry of mine with any DD Viper.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same Same as RobZ...36K and climbing. Averaging about 6-7K per year (year round driving) since purchasing 7/05 @ 7,700 miles.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can and should the Viper be a daily driver?

Absolutely, I think that is kewl it's yours:2tu:

Although I have a Toyota, I do drive my GTS to work probably 2-3 days a week, then to/from the track and on the track during the wknds 2xmonth. I live in a very small town, so parking is never a problem. I sat in a parking lot yesterday drinking a latte and on the computer entering sales calls... Only problem I have is the heals getting in/out of the car all day:lmao:keep catching on the door sill.

It rained for an entire day my last track event (PS2's of course), I ran ALL day...Viper is a lotta fun and surprisingly easy to handle once you get dialed into it.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I voted yes because it's one of the biggest toys you can own and driving it back and forth to work means you get to play at least twice a day. What else are you waiting for? And I have more scratches and dings from things I've done myself or run over.

ViperFangBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an easy YES!! My 2006 SRT/10 Coupe is the ideal daily driver. Life is too short to miss the joy I find in driving my Viper! 38,000 miles in and it drives like a dream. In fact, I found that it wasn't really broken in until about 25K.

Does anyone know the top mileage achieved so far with a Viper?

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I voted no. I live in the suburbs and it is very very frustrating to have to drive at the same speeds as minivans, Camrys, Honda Fits, delivery trucks, etc. I only use it for having fun, and periodic drives to keep it active in between the fun drives.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say no for several reasons, of course there is the parking lot issue. In the desert there is also the sun factor:sun:, if I drove my RT everyday I would be some odd shade of red/black I think, or maybe just spontaneously combust:evilmad:. I find that I enjoy driving the car more when I haven't driven it for awhile, so to drive it every day might make it a bit mundane. Also I don't want to pay for the higher insurance to have it listed as a DD as opposed to a weekend show car. Perhaps the number one reason that I don't drive any of my vipers on a regular basis is the terrible habits of Las Vegas drivers to run into things, I haven't developed this habit yet but it seems to be an epidemic in the area.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 14000 miles on my 96 GTS the first year I got it. When I bought it in Dec 07 it had 26k miles on it and the first inspection, following Dec it had 40k. I now have a second child and well can fit two car seats in it. I work for an employer that has 7 buildings at my location and acres of parking lots. I park the car along with other sports cars in the back 40 where there are no cars and walk a half mile to my office. My car sits in the Texas sun all day because I intentionally don’t park it under the grackle infested oak trees.

My daily commute is 15 miles one way all HWY. Is it a daily driver no, did it rack up more miles than both my other daily drivers last year, yes. I don’t use the AC and enjoy driving with the windows down even when its 108 here in Texas. It would be my daily driver if I didn’t have to pick up or drop off my two children every day. I have driven my car in the rain several times and no despite what some may think it did not melt. I didn’t vote because I think my only true choice would be not a daily?

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i voted no my rt10 94 has about 37k on it and it looks awesome.this will sound weird but i enjoy just looking at my car.when its uncovered.everytime i do uncover it i clean it even if i dont drive it.also when i do take it out i will only go on side streets.i did have it on the high way once and got a nick on the front spoiler.was repaired. i quess iam strange. but love my cars.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, shoot me now. I have a come back for each one of you.

Vipers don't melt in the rain. Even my crude Gen 1 RT doesn't leak... now.
Did you buy jewelry or a car? Don't wear it, drive it.
The interior is small - are you guys hiding expensive items inside? Use a small duffel bag (VCA giveaway) and throw everything in the trunk.
I'll take pictures, but the sides of my car are pretty scratch free and I parked at work every day. My sills look like crap because of rocks, dirt, stuff on the road that have taken off the paint or put holes in them. That'll happen with miles no matter what.
Leslie has the right idea. Drive to track, drive to Starbucks, drive in rain. What's the difference?
Traffic is actually fun. Now you have the car with guts to pass, brake, and steer around the slower drivers. Can you do the same in your other DD?
Accidents will happen as a function of miles. Hiding in the garage won't help. It'll happen.
If it stays in the garage... save a few bucks a buy a picture!

My goal is to wear my Viper out (it dies before I do), sell for parts, and look for one of your pristine cars to do it all over again. Maybe I shouldn't complain about you.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your question was if we use or vipers as DD, not if we drive them or not. I drive mine every chance I get but that doesn't include work or in most cases running errands because I can't fit anything in the trunk. I love my car and enjoy keeping it clean and show ready, but I also love driving it, just not as a daily driver. Like I said I for one enjoy it more when I don't drive it every day. All good things in moderation. and accidents don't have to happen.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from the grocery store with $260 in groceries and drove the GTS. Funny as I was loading up the car the guy who was in line behind me actually walked by me. He owns a repair exhaust shop close to the hotel that we use for the texas round up. He said he saw 60 or so vipers back in April. His opening comment was you know I recall a time not long ago when you wouldn't of been able to fits $260 in groceries in a two seat sports car.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bang bang?

I don't like driving mine in the rain because I do like to keep the car clean. Not poser garage queen clean, but not a mix of Texas dust with Gulf of Mexico or Oklahoma moisture either. It is a pride and joy type of vehicle not only performance wise, but appearance wise too. My F350 hasn't been washed in 6 months. It is red and has a V10 too. ;)

And like Chris said above, I too drive mine in the 108* Texas heat with the winders down, but not as much driving as I do in the cooler seasons. I would hate to have to do that every damn day.

So just like the ABS thread, this one goes too. If I don't drive mine so it doesn't get so filthy or I don't broil in it, people will call me a poser or garage queen. I ask those same people to explain to me why then my 2001 has 36K miles on it. From sitting at the car wash? :rolaugh:

Geez, shoot me now. I have a come back for each one of you.

Vipers don't melt in the rain. Even my crude Gen 1 RT doesn't leak... now.
Did you buy jewelry or a car? Don't wear it, drive it.
The interior is small - are you guys hiding expensive items inside? Use a small duffel bag (VCA giveaway) and throw everything in the trunk.
I'll take pictures, but the sides of my car are pretty scratch free and I parked at work every day. My sills look like crap because of rocks, dirt, stuff on the road that have taken off the paint or put holes in them. That'll happen with miles no matter what.
Leslie has the right idea. Drive to track, drive to Starbucks, drive in rain. What's the difference?
Traffic is actually fun. Now you have the car with guts to pass, brake, and steer around the slower drivers. Can you do the same in your other DD?
Accidents will happen as a function of miles. Hiding in the garage won't help. It'll happen.
If it stays in the garage... save a few bucks a buy a picture!

My goal is to wear my Viper out (it dies before I do), sell for parts, and look for one of your pristine cars to do it all over again. Maybe I shouldn't complain about you.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My RT as a daily driver? Absolutely not. Here's why:

1. Mine never, ever gets driven in the rain. It has nothing to do with water leaks or hydroplaning. I don't even know if it would leak since it has never been (and never will be for as long as I own it) driven in the rain. Ask me about the analogy of owning a fine piece of artwork sometime. ;)

2. The "fun factor" excitement would not be as enhanced if I drove it all the time. I always get a big grin when I fire it up and listen to the Corsa exhaust echoing in the garage before I go out on a drive.

My Trek bikes get more annual miles put on them than my Viper, especially my commuter bike. It's 55 miles RT to work and I pedal it most of the time, even occasionally in the rain. :smirk: The Viper and bikes each make me happy in their own way.

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would love to and voted Yes above. I drive mine about 50% now only because I have a 100+ mile round trip everyday. I may be moving soon and have been thinking that the viper will be my only car in the non-winter months of MN. I can usually park away from people and love driving it.

I don't mind the rain as much (unless I have the hardtop off) as it can help me clean some of the bug marks off the front of the car ;)

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
24 hr poll update: One third of reporting Viper owners use theirs as Daily Drivers! In a somewhat unexpected surprise, RT/10s outnumber GTSs as daily drivers by more than 2 to 1.

I'd have to drag out my statistics books, but if we had at least 200 votes we could have the definitive answer for a frequently asked question.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a chance. Not practical for my job, roads ****, rain *****, only use it now a days to go to the gym and or when my house is over-run by three women with once a month issues.

AC

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Define Daily Driver.

if it means u have to drive a car every day then NONE of our cars would qualify as there is likely a day or two a week where you stay home and dont drive at all, or decide to take one of your other cars to work so it dosnt sit.

Maybe the definition should be mostly based on mileage. 5,000miles+ i think would qualify. the exception might be if you live very close to work and daily drive without putting many miles on a car...

I drive my GTS about 3-5days a week and put 7,500miles on her last year. I consider it my daily driver because i only have one other vehicle(a truck) that i drive less than the viper.

So maybe that could be the definition... simply the car that you drive the most:2tu:

what do you think:confused:

Motivated

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dom426h has a valid point, what many ppl consider daily driven varries. I fully intend on driving mine to work several days a week because it is a car and is meant to be driven, it gives me no pleasure knowing simply that it is awaiting my return at home. Having owned a number of motorcycles over the years it seems very similar to me, being at work on a cold/rainy day thinking about riding my bike is torture. The Viper has a roof and four wheels, if I feel like driving it only freezing tempratures will stop me :D

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to do this so late in the poll. (Amazed more RTs than GTSs are DD.) I kind of want it based on quantity of turning the ignition key because I used to live 8 minutes from work and wouldn't get high miles except that I found 100 ways to drive to work.

I loved my replica Cobra, but without roof, AC, radio, locks, etc it was a 2 month/year car and not a DD. Compared to that, a Gen 1 Viper is luxurious and I drive it 11 months/year.

Daily Driver:
  • variously driven to work, the store, Home Depot, out to eat.
  • Park to avoid dings is OK, totally avoiding public places is not.
  • Have small trash (gum wrapper) behind seat.
  • Pick up kids routinely yes. Showing off while picking up kids, no.
  • decline driving for low temperatures allowed (tire issues), not allowed for high temperatures (you have AC).
  • Mild rain drive, standing water no.
  • Caught in snow maybe once gives DD rank for a year.
Hey, we are nearing 100 responses and I would rather leave it to voters to decide. With a goal of 200 poll responses, even the definition of "daily driver" will average out and we can have a poll about that, too. I was genuinely interested in what percentage are thought of as DD and that looks like 30%. I am still surprised that so many more are RTs; I did not expect that. Keep voting, please!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
decline driving for low temperatures allowed (tire issues), not allowed for high temperatures (you have AC).

Oh gag me! According to the recent ABS thread the Viper community is OVERWHELMED with driving EXPERTS that can control the car under ALL conditions.

Give them a break for cold tires? Ridiculous.

And when was the last time you tried your AC in 110 degree weather? For months? :rolaugh:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No for me. I would consider a GTS a semi-practical DD, but not a RT/10. Too many chances of a "pop up" rain storm here in the south if you're riding around w/o the top on. Plus the issue of car security if you have a Gen 1. Even with a GTS (or Gen 3-4), I wouldn't like the idea of driving in the rain due to the huge tires and possible hydroplaning. Door dings and vandalism in general would also be a worry of mine with any DD Viper.

Still a pansy, I see. :crazy2:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why no choice for SRT? I daily drove my RT for 80k miles, but now daily drive my SRT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4