Top 5, Top 10?

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

Going to look @ my first used Viper at the end of the week. Im going for a Gen II RT/10. Is there a sort of rough Top 5-10 things I should be looking for in a used Viper before I buy?

I see based on "search" that the head gaskets are one, and that "cracking in the hood" or something is another big one? Could anyone else chime in and expand on those, and offer any hints for things a dealer or private party might try and cover up when they sell? How long do the stock clutches usually last, or does it really depend on if Speed Racer was behind the wheel or not?

Since some of you guys may save me some $$/heartache in the future, I guess I really can't thank ya enough...but for what it's worth..thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
1. Fluid condition will alert you to the care it has had.
2. Tire age not tread amount, over 3 years old is not going to be grippy.
3. How does it shift? smooth or hard and notchy?
4. body condition and under the front nose of the car will indicate any other damage to attaching structure.
5. Seat condition, rips, bad bolster padding.
6. Wheel rash light? or excessive may make you wonder about suspension items and bearings.
7. spider cracks in hood paint near front corners, improper closing can crack a hood, $$$
8. Does the A/C work well? Can get costly to repair.
9. shocks leaking?
10. condition of the windshield and other glass.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Fluid condition will alert you to the care it has had.
2. Tire age not tread amount, over 3 years old is not going to be grippy.
3. How does it shift? smooth or hard and notchy?
4. body condition and under the front nose of the car will indicate any other damage to attaching structure.
5. Seat condition, rips, bad bolster padding.
6. Wheel rash light? or excessive may make you wonder about suspension items and bearings.
7. spider cracks in hood paint near front corners, improper closing can crack a hood, $$$
8. Does the A/C work well? Can get costly to repair.
9. shocks leaking?
10. condition of the windshield and other glass.

That sums it up!!:2tu:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's no longer of any concern to me, but I believe my prior (traded in) '01 Sapphire RT/10 is stll available at Roanoke. If you're interested PM me.

OP
OP
D

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys! Appreciate it.

CitySnake..you actually might be hearing from me after we see how this weekend goes.

Thanks again

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always the 998 recall as well.

I always recommend this book as it gave me a lot of tips before I purchased a Viper:

Viper Buyers Guide

The list of things to look at will vary greatly depending on if you want a garage queen, a weekend fun machine, a daily driver, or a track star.