Decision decision.......

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]I have a dilemma,

My wife has decided that our 515hp convertible is not enough HP or her 7 mile, 35mph trek to work.:dunno: God I love this women of mine.:D

So I’m looking to pick up a used graphite, 2009 early next year. My dilemma is she really wants another vert and I’m having a hard time paying another $20k-$25k,[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial] after selling my 05,[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial] for the same car. Granted it’s 600hp and a darker silver but, basically it's the same Viper look. I love the look of the vert but I’ve had it for 3yrs and I’d love to own a coupe again. Plus, she rarely drives with her top down.

Any advise on this decision?

Note: I’m really not tracking the Vipers anymore. I’ve found I’m really more of a poser than a race car driver.:smirk:[/FONT]

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, which is the only reason I'm even considering it but, would you guys get another vert or change up for a coupe?
I'd love a little more trunk space as well as the beefier look of the coupe but, a 600hp Viper convertible ain't bad either.

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, which is the only reason I'm even considering it but, would you guys get another vert or change up for a coupe?
I'd love a little more truck space as well as the beefier look of the coupe but a 600hp Viper convertible ain't bad either.

That such a personal preference. Convert people would typically only want a car where the roof comes off or down and coupe people don't like fresh air and are mostly bald.

:lmao:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, tough call. I have an 06 Coupe that I want to put the 08 hood on (I love the look of the new hood). The coupe is great if you want to track it and it does have more cargo space. Although if you are creative you can still stuff a lot into a Vert. My coupe is Paxtonized so it is quick but the 08/09s would be more reliable in the long run and they're almost as fast. My coupe has the PS2 non-run craps and an aftermarket stereo. The stereo is bitchin and a great addition to any Viper.

I also have an 08 Vert. I think the 08 Vert is the better car for just tooling around. You have the option of putting the top down or not. With the weather finally turning nice I've had the top down a lot.

You could of course throw a blower on your current car for less money than buying new but then again the 08/09s are better cars. If I would have known the 08 ACR was coming out I would not have bought the 06 and put a blower on it. I would have waited.

If you have only one Viper I would say go with the Vert. The hood and the new colors would make it different from your current car.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why not do a mild TT system. Cost would be about the same but you could have 800rwhp (about 925bhp)on pump easy. TT cars are EASY to drive if you keep them out of boost (below 3000rpm).

Another option: You can also have DLM (right in your back yard BTW) do a paxton and get an easy 600-700rwhp.

If your looking at just making more power, it's better just to mod what you have. If you REALLY want the 08 look just bolt-on a new hood.

Getting more than 700hp out of a gen 3 is easy.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm not real big on aftermarket stuff anymore. Put about $20k into the GTS when I first bought it and all the problems I had with the car came from those parts.

Also, I'd like to support the Dodge Viper by buying a Gen IV.

I do love the fact that the vert is like to Vipers in one. Top up Viper and top down. Two totally different looks and feels but, living in Fl. I really don't have it down that often and, the wife never puts it's down.
Unless the windows are up.:rolleyes:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
With a Coupe...you get the complete car...not just the bottom half!!

P.S. CitySnake...some Coupe drivers DO have hair!! :)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, your dilemna is somewhat what we went thru, Andrew.
We had the 2005 Vert (lots of mods--wouldn't do that again), the 2008 vert (no mods), and now the 2009 VOIX Coupe. We MUCH prefer the Coupe...the look, plus we hardly EVER drove with the top down. Coupe--hands down! The 2009 performance level is SO MUCH better than the 2005 or even the 2008, and we thought the world of both. Only thing we did is swap out the shifter for the MGW short throw. GO FOR IT!!! (Your wife has GREAT taste...'09 GRAPHITE ROCKS...but only in a Coupe! ;))
Just my .02~~~juli

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, your dilemna is somewhat what we went thru, Andrew.
We had the 2005 Vert (lots of mods--wouldn't do that again), the 2008 vert (no mods), and now the 2009 VOIX Coupe. We MUCH prefer the Coupe...the look, plus we hardly EVER drove with the top down. Coupe--hands down! The 2009 performance level is SO MUCH better than the 2005 or even the 2008, and we thought the world of both. Only thing we did is swap out the shifter for the MGW short throw. GO FOR IT!!! (Your wife has GREAT taste...'09 GRAPHITE ROCKS...but only in a Coupe! ;))
Just my .02~~~juli

I like where your heads at Juli. Your coupe looks fantastic.
I really would like the coupe. I'm just looking for more ammo to make sure when I sell it to myself and my better half. You know how girls love their convertibles.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like where your heads at Juli. Your coupe looks fantastic.
I really would like the coupe. I'm just looking for more ammo to make sure when I sell it to myself and my better half. You know how girls love their convertibles.

Thank you, Andrew! We LOVE the Coupe...and we're both under 6' tall (PBR ;)).
**I'm a girl and I do NOT prefer a convertible**COUPES all the way~~~:drive:
(GOOD LUCK!) ~juli

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that there are 2 kinds of people in this world - those that drive cars with lids and those that don't. I don't think you can move a person from one camp to another - they are just born that way. (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

I am a coupe person. Period. I like having more 'car' around me. Maybe a Miata would be ok for a vert, or a Mini - but not a Viper.

Serious cars require lids for serious driving.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus, she rarely drives with her top down.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE HER AND ALL WIVES/GIRLFRIENDS TO DRIVE WITH THEIR TOPS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
IF they do, all women should drive verts!!
In all seriousness
Im a coupe guy but some of the hardtops available for verts really make the cars look good and then ya have the best of both

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only do a coupe if you are under 6' tall!
PBR

Houston, we have a problem.

I'm a couple inches over but I know my way around installing 1" lowering kits for the drivers seat.

I'm a coupe man myself but they didn't make a coupe till 06. So the hp over rode the roof.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First and formost simply thank God you have a wife that wants ANY KIND OF VIPER!!!! This is not a dlilemma--you have been blessed!

Now, on to the question. I have an 06 coupe and 09 Vert. The 09 is faster but it is not day and night (my Caddy has more HP and is about as fast as my 06) The 09 sounds better from the factory and the hood makes it IMO, the best looking Viper vert yet. W/o mods it is a better looking and sounding Viper but don't buy it for the power difference.

As to height, I am 6'4", and my son is 6'7" and we drive in the 06 and 09 without issue--though he is a bit cramped in the passenger seat. Through 6 Vipers and several Vettes I have never lowered a seat--I just adapt.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're in FL and don't put the top down much? If so, go for the coupe, no reason to have the vert. I personally enjoy my GTS and vert equally, so I think it is okay if you like both.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vert!

SKG_0144small1.jpg

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also started with Corvettes - numerous C5 his and hers. Then we saw the Gen 3 and it had us at hello. We now have his and hers and having had gen 3 or 4 there are many noticable differences including power and fuel effeciency, handling ... Couldn't resist and had to trade up to Gen 4.

Vert or coupe - easy get both. One for her and one for you! What a better way to show her how much you really love her!

If you get a vert just remember the roll bars are not protection so upgrade them just in case.

I love my coupe!

Finally - you have a pm! :drive:

Good luck,

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]...I’d love to own a coupe again. Plus, she rarely drives with her top down.[/FONT]

I think you just answer your own question with the statement above.

Personally, I enjoy having a convertible as a daily driver, but always prefer coupe for a sport car. ;)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I think you already know the answer. If you rarely drive with the top down, I don't think you're a vert lover, really, I mean you probably like it, but ... I put my top up to park and in the garage so it doesn't get creases, otherwise I think I've driven my Vipers with the tops on/up maybe 4 times since 1999. I'm that way with my mustang vert's and my 330cic. If you're a vert person, your top is down a lot, if not, then it's not. I say go with the coupe, it looks awesome, and it'll be like having a car that's as different in looks as it is in mechanical upgrades, it's a win - win, versus a wind - wind in the vert. lol Of course, the problem with this question if that there's no right or wrong answer, no matter what you decide, you made a great choice.

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To each his own, in my opinion, Verts Rock!
Which ever way you decide, as long as it is in a Viper, you can not go wrong!

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO show this post to your wife, look at the pros and cons, tell her about your preference and then : Let her make the final choice, youy will end up with a new Viper anyway and harmony at home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave