buying a coupe 2006 vs 2008 worth the extra $

ukester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking to buy a coupe either a 06 or a 08 is there that much difference in the 2 to pay the extra money.Also colors one more rare than the other...

Thanks
Mark

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06 First Edition Blue/White Coupe. The 08 is a much better car. Especially if you want to track it. From the additional horsepower to the new Tremec 6060 transmission/dual clutch and improved diff. The impoved hood also reduces lift. My biggest complaint about the 06 was the T56 transmission. Many 06 owners have converted to the 6060. It also depends what you want the car for. 06 first editions are out there and you cannot get that blue/white combo in an 08. They are both Vipers and make a big statement. If budget is of no concern go with the 08 because right now you can get an 06 coupe in the 50s. Also, check on remaining warranty. That could be an issue on an 06. Good luck with your decision. Its a win win no matter what.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned an 06 First Editon, as well as a 08 ACR. If you want to just cruise around, an 06 is fine. If you want to track the car, the 08 is a big approvement-even a non ACR.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove both the '06 and an '09, and the '09 won hands down. Both cars are much more refined than the Gen II GTS that I own, but if I had to choose between a Gen III and Gen IV I'd go with the Gen IV with no question. Used Gen III and Gen IV cars seem to be incredibly cheap these days, with the Gen IV only commanding around a $10k premium over a 'similar' Gen III. For an extra 100 HP, better transmission, better looking hood (in my opinion), and what feels to me like a better driving car, $10k is money well spent. Just my opinion, though. And, the Gen IV doesn't come in GTS Blue and White, which is my all-time favorite color combo - which is a drag.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an 06 coupe...

Mod it with an 08 hood, Quaiffe diff., Motons and a controller.

You'll be looking at 08s in your rear view mirror on the way to the bank with the money you saved....;):D

Without the mods.... Gen 4 w/o a doubt.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned both Gen 4 is just a better car in a ton of aspects

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mark...we had a 2005 and a 2008 before this recent VOIX (2009). Hands-down, the 2009 is the preferred car, though ALL Vipers are 'works of art' I call 'em. Whatever YOUR preference is...someone else would have to chime in on the rare colors for '06 or '08...but our 2008 was a GTS Blue w/silver striped vert, 1 of 9...absolutely GORGEOUS! (Now have the Coupe, as it's what we want) GOOD LUCK in your search, keep us posted~! ~juli

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I disagree with modifiying the 06 and saving money. It will not save you money. Motons and a quaife installed will cots you around 8-10grand. The hood painted to match probably another 2,500. An you hope it maches. If money is no option go with the 08 its a much better car if you can live without the blue white paint scheme.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with modifiying the 06 and saving money. It will not save you money. Motons and a quaife installed will cots you around 8-10grand. The hood painted to match probably another 2,500.:omg: An you hope it maches. If money is no option go with the 08 its a much better car if you can live without the blue white paint scheme.

WOW! Thats some serious Viper tax...:omg:

Even at those prices, your still under or at an 08$.

But...
-with Motons and a Quaiffe( a lot of guys with new ACRs are swapping to
this set up)
-Paxton???
-and BLUE/White

Like I said above... If you aren't into or don't want to modify your car.

The gen 4s are the best Viper produced so far..IMO.:2tu:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problems with any mod is there is no add on book value for them when the car is sold .No matter what you do mod wise (or how much you spend )on an 06 the car is really not worth any more than a stock 06 (As a matter of fact if the 06 has an extended warranty and the mod VOIDS IT the car could be worth less.)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After weighing all pros and cons and everything considered. Reliability being at the top of the list followed closely by performance....

I would have to agree that the Gen.4 is the way to go. 600 "factory" H.P. The entire driveline designed to work in conjunction with each other. A complete package.
Best of all, starts and drives everyday...

(I say this after considering the fact that I just shipped my two "modded" cars, 900 miles, to be worked on. Will probably be gone 3 weeks or so.....this time....:rolleyes:)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After weighing all pros and cons and everything considered. Reliability being at the top of the list followed closely by performance....

I would have to agree that the Gen.4 is the way to go. 600 "factory" H.P. The entire driveline designed to work in conjunction with each other. A complete package.
Best of all, starts and drives everyday...

(I say this after considering the fact that I just shipped my two "modded" cars, 900 miles, to be worked on. Will probably be gone 3 weeks or so.....this time....:rolleyes:)
Exactly thats the great thing about an 08 (Header ,Catback pcm )600 to the tires with a full warranty.

dragnet

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Live and work in Lagos Nigeria. Viper at my home
Go for the '08. I've owned both an '06 and '08. Definitely prefer the '08. The items that I didn't like about the '06 included high interior heat due to the crossover pipe, stiff ride on run flats and high clutch effort. The '08 has much lower interior heat and the new transmission is much better with lower pedal effort. The '08 tires are much better over the runflats. Throw in the extra horsepower and I am much happier with the 08 as compared to the 06. Go for the '08. I believe it is definitely worth the premium.