Has anyone used Gloss It?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything they sell is also sold by our sponsor Turbo Wax.

If you're going to experiment, why not consider starting with someone that will do cartwheels for customer service?

They're very good folks!

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering. A company detailing my car uses this product and I have never heard of it before.

Mods feel free to delete if needed.

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't like any product in the line except for maybe the leather treatment, but to each his own. Just another line of products that collects dust in my garage while the genuine article stay active in my arsenal.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good way to get a feel for a product that you're unfamiliar with is to check out their online forum if they have one. That will tell you a lot about the product, the company and how it is viewed in the detailing arena.

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good way to get a feel for a product that you're unfamiliar with is to check out their online forum if they have one. That will tell you a lot about the product, the company and how it is viewed in the detailing arena.

You could also get a good look at a tbone by sticking your head....

Turtle wax has a forum bro. Consumer reports rates nu finish as the best LSP on the market.

Wanna know about a supposed specialty product, ask a specialty expert who has used them, not the majority of sheeple.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could also get a good look at a tbone by sticking your head....

Turtle wax has a forum bro. Consumer reports rates nu finish as the best LSP on the market.

Wanna know about a supposed specialty product, ask a specialty expert who has used them, not the majority of sheeple.

FYI, I know the founder and owner of Gloss-It very well. He has given me all of his polishing products to sample, as well as propositioned me about coming to work with him. He even invited out to SEMA as his personal guest. The reason that I suggested the OP check out their online forum is because in a way, it speaks volumes about that product and not in the way you're thinking.

I have used or tried a boatload of products simply because I get contacted by companies all over the globe. They send me product to try out and ask me to give them my personal opinion. Some of it is good, some of it is not so good. However, I always keep an open mind when it comes to products that I don't use because it offers me inroads and access to information that I normally would have to pay to get. Like I've said before, a product snob I am not.

For me, detailing is a passion that I love to share with others, not a job. In sharing that info, I try to keep the information as simple as possible so that the novice to detailing doesn't have to obtain an associates degree just to wash and wax their car. That has a lot to do with the products that I use as a teaching tool.

To give you an idea as to where my abilities with detailing lay, allow me to share with you just a few situations that I have had brought to me. Hopefully, this will give you some idea as to my humble skills. Although I am using Adam's Polishes in these repairs, I could have easily used Meguiar's, Zaino or 3M just to name a few and obtained the same results. It's not about what I use as much as it is about my technique. That technique is what I share in my many You Tube videos.

2004 Corvette Convertible with Rear Fascia Damage

The first prospect was a 2004 Corvette that had been damaged in a garage by some boxes. Part of the damage was through the clear coat so the only thing that could be done there was to make it less noticeable. The other damage was removed. I basically used clay to clean up the area before I started working on it (a must whenever I touch a car that needs it), and then I wet sanded it using 2500 grit to start and finished up with 3000 grit paper before moving to my swirl and scratch removing compound. Although I used Adam's products for this repair, I could have easily used some Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner and Swirl & Scratch Remover in place of the Adam's products.

A forum member dropped me a PM about a scratch he picked up. He told me that he tried to fix it but nothing worked. So I told him to bring his Vette over and allow me to have a look at it.

Once he arrived and I got a look at the damage, I realized that the scratch was like a well: Deeeeeep! He didn't realize how bad it was. Once I explained to him the options (either have the entire rear fascia painted or let me take a crack at it), he stated that he wanted me to give it a try. He said that he had seen a thread I did about a lady with a nasty scratch on her front fascia and if her's could be fixed, anything was possible. So I went at it.

Here was what we were looking at. This was the long shot. I wanted to see if I could notice them without getting close. Dave and I didn't see the second scratch until I washed the rear fascia off.

You must be registered for see images

Now for a Corvette owner, these scratches may as well have been graffiti spray painted on the car. They were really noticeable. I then got in close and realized why Dave said those those scratches were back there just screaming at him as he drove down the road. I'm sure there are other members here who can relate to this, especially when you're talking about your baby. It's like having lettuce stuck between you teeth on a blind date.

As you can see, these were some serious scratches and the one between the tail lights has went through the clear coat and down to the paint. This was going to take some serious magic. I washed the rear fascia just to see if any of the damage would disappear. Ha! Fat chance. So I broke out some cutting polish and went at it.

I went at both scratches twice and this is what they looked like after I was done.

Now the scratch on the outside of the rear fascia was going to be a little work but I could see that polish was going to eventually remove it. However, the one between the tail lights was going to take something stronger than a polish. This scratch was going to require some wet sanding.

The Junkman's Disclaimer: Now let me stress the importance of this being something that you never try at home unless you have been professionally trained on how to do this. You can quickly cut through the clear coat on your car and be into the paint with a few strokes of the wrong sandpaper. I only show this for documenting purposes only, not as an endorsement for you to try!

Realizing what needed to be done, I broke out my wet sanding supplies. Some 2500 & 3000 grit sandpaper, a sanding block and a clean bucket of water. I let the sand paper soak for 25 minutes before I stated using it. Something my daddy taught me to do but I can't remember why it is necessary.

After the sandpaper was ready, I went at it. Dave had chewed his fingers down to the nubs by the first minute.

After knocking the areas even, I took these photos. The white that you see that really enhances the scratches is some of the clear coat that I have removed from the car. I constantly checked my paint thickness gauge to ensure that I wasn't removing to much clear coat (I have to use the DeFelsko PosiTector 200-B Advanced because it is the only gauge that I could find that will take multilevel reading off fiberglass).

Next, I went back at the scratches with my scratch remover. After 2 passes, the scratch on the outside of the rear fascia was pretty much history. One thing to note between the picture above and the picture below. You can see how much damage the sand paper has done in the picture above because there is no shine in the area where the scratch was. Now look at the picture below. The scratch remover has brought that reflectivity back to showroom quality.

The one between the tail lights was still there, but was a whole lot less noticeable. This would have required repainting the bumper to fix it 100% but as any paint shop will tell you, matching the color red is usually a nightmare. In the business, we like to call this "a great save".

Now I'm ready to put some wax on the rear fascia and see the final results.

After applying and allowing it to haze, I wiped it off and saw the final results.

Here's a wide shot of the rear fascia.

...and now for the money shot!

Needless to say, he very happy with the results.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(con't)

2005 Ford Mustang with Brillo Pad Damage

This guy's wife wanted to surprise him by washing his car while he was away on business. She used a Brillo Pad because she really wanted to get it clean. She had no idea of how bad she was damaging the car until she got all the way from one side of the hood to the other side. Needless to say, he was crushed!

Here's the damage:

Now for some after shots. The lighting wasn't all that great so I did the best I could with the first set of pictures. The sun decided to come out on the following day.

Here's what I used: Clayed with clay bar and detail spray, then I went to a scratch remover on a orange pad, followed by FSP on a white pad. I then added my wax. I wiped the area down with detail spray before moving between each product. The following day allowed me to pull the car out into the sun and tackle the other half of the hood.This was a shot of the other side of the hood before I fixed it.

Here's a shot of the rest of the hood fixed.

While at this particular show, some guys from Dynamic Motorsports approached me and asked if I had something for a scratch in their black convertible Shelby. They wanted some touch up paint. I went over and took a look at the scratch. It was ugly. What was even more ugly was the fact that they wanted to use touch up paint. Check out the scratch:

The clear coat on this car was unlike any I have ever seen in my life. It was slick as glass. Not one pimple of orange peel in it whatsoever. I have never seen a car as slick as this. It was unreal.

So, I broke out some scratch remover and FSP, the orange and white pads along with some 2500-3000 grit sandpaper. I went at that scratch for a while until it was gone.

Then, I used my polishes to bring the finish back to perfect.

Here's a shot of this beautiful ride!

That ride has been restored back to its original luster!

2002 Corvette Coupe with Front Fascia Damage

Okay boys and girls, another one from the desk of The Junkman. A friend of mine showed up in her 2002 Black Corvette Coupe with what appeared to be the damage caused by a truck which had backed up onto her front fascia. The damage was deep and nasty. I washed the bumper and dried it off just so that I could get a clean look at how much damage was actually there. Here's what I was looking at:

Here's a short video of the same damage.

As you can see, this was not going to be a walk in the park. However, using the same technique as described above (minus the sand paper), I was able to make the damage look a lot less noticeable.

Step 1. The first thing I did was wash the bumper so that I could see what damage was actually done. The next thing I did was clayed the bumper in order to remove any impurities in the clear coat. Remember, the prep is the key to the success that you will see when the work is done. This Vette is a daily driver and is not garaged so my final goal was not perfection, it was to make the bumper appear to have never been hit at all.

Here's video of me hitting the bumper with clay.

A funny side note: After I dried the car off from the clay bar work, my friend gasped and then stated with concern that the scratch was still there. Since I hadn't done anything to remove the scratch up to that point, it was still supposed to be there. She was under the misconception that claying removes scratches. Now she knows better.

Step 2. The next thing I did was hit the bumper with scratch and FSP products. I basically made two passes over the bumper with this combination. After wiping the bumper down, I took some pictures of the bumper up to that point:

Step 3. I finished the job up with a coat of wax and then took these pictures. Again, this is a daily driver which is not garage kept. Although that is the case, you can see that the job turned out pretty nice. The little imperfections that you see in the pictures below are actually things being reflected off my garage wall.

...and finally, one happy camper!

Just thought that I would share.

The Junkman

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this junkman.com? :lol

Junkman, I understand you are merely and enthusiast, and I am very glad you have such a passion for this industry. I know Rich as well decent guy, products are substandard for MY line of work. Not saying they are not worth a shot, but after we went through our sample kit a few years ago, I wasn't impressed to the point of replacing any product of any genre already carefully selected. You see, I am not a product snob, like I said before I am a world class detailer who chooses every chemical for every surface very carefully and every once in a while an old product gets dicontinued and something fills it's slot.

Very good, glad to see you can remove 3000 unigrit scratches, no evidence on the paints condition in the after other than the scuffs were removed, but it's not exactly like you have posted any before after shots in the sun either, but no big deal, you are a computer guy I get that, and you're probably one hell of an IT guy.

When sanding, especially on movable fiberglass like the bumper cover of a Vette, keep your pressure distributed EQUALLY across you entire foam block. Do Not use two fingers distributing unequal pressure or you run the risk of numerous erronous ill effects. Nice papers, love the unigrit, but I would suggest (for your best interest) next time try to keep EQUAL pressure ESPECIALLY sanding with a floppy block like that one.

You see that block is very soft, and any contour you provide it with it reacts to, sanding a rounded panel is much easier with that floppy block, on flat panels keep it all LEVEL kind of ruins the whole idea of UNITGRIT.

Other than that, I'm sure you're a good guy to be around, and many could probably learn much from you and your computer skills. Car enthusiasts are my type of people.

Last edited:

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have easily used Meguiar's, Zaino or 3M

What Zaino product would you plan on removing sanding scratches and nasty rids like that with? ZPC? Their only product with abrasives? (Maybe ZAIO has minor correction power but not to a degree of sanding correction.)

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Zaino product would you plan on removing sanding scratches and nasty rids like that with? ZPC? Their only product with abrasives? (Maybe ZAIO has minor correction power but not to a degree of sanding correction.)

Correct, Zaino PC Fusion.

Description from their website: Description: Z-PC is a great cleaner for preparation of the Zaino system - by hand or using a buffer. Z-PC by hand will remove minor scratches, swirls, and other blemishes. When used by rotary machine in a professional environment, Z-PC has enough polishing ability to remove moderate swirls and scratches, yet finishes down flawless and so glossy that multiple step surface correction is not required. Since Z-PC contains no oils or fillers, you can apply your favorite protectant as soon as you wipe away the Z-PC residue. For the owner/enthusiast using a random orbital buffer, Z-PC with a polishing pad will safely and effectively correct minor surface imperfections.

The secret is not only in the compound and polish, it is also in the technique you use to wet sand. That's why I can do this in front of crowds at car shows only using one product line, where at home I would cut the work time in half by using different equipment and compounds.

When I show folks how to do this, I show them the safe way. When I do it at home, I do it the most effective way. Two totally different techniques. My father did body work for 40 years. I wish that I was smart enough as a kid to learn everything he knew.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave