Vett vs. viper

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I’m going to be purchasing a 03-06 vert very soon and have some questions, I have never driven one or even been in one, the closest thing I have been in is a 07 vette, what is the ride and handling differences? I have been a 911 turbo guy for many years and lost interest. Thanks for any info…..also many say the viper is a stiffer and rougher car then the vett?

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would tell you that a Viper is a completely different feel/philosophy from any of the cars you mentioned, or for that matter, just about any other car. They are loud, crude, hot, have a tendency to burn your calves getting in/out, rough riding, and all in all are the biggest blast to own/drive in the whole world. They have no cruise control, no auto up windows, no stability control, and no cup holders. They are not for everyone. I would strongly advise you to spend time with one before you buy.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would tell you that a Viper is a completely different feel/philosophy from any of the cars you mentioned, or for that matter, just about any other car. They are loud, crude, hot, have a tendency to burn your calves getting in/out, rough riding, and all in all are the biggest blast to own/drive in the whole world. They have no cruise control, no auto up windows, no stability control, and no cup holders. They are not for everyone. I would strongly advise you to spend time with one before you buy.

I’m trying to spend time with one but it’s very hard to, there are not many in my area, I looked at three, 2 at dealers and one private, dealers want to make deal before test drive and private had no insurance on car….I’m going into this blind so trying to get as much info as possible.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m trying to spend time with one but it’s very hard to, there are not many in my area, I looked at three, 2 at dealers and one private, dealers want to make deal before test drive and private had no insurance on car….I’m going into this blind so trying to get as much info as possible.
Where do you live? If there are vca members nearby they would be happy to show you around.

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im in NJ, if you are local, let me know and Ill take you for a ride.

You will not burn your legs unless your a ******* and push your calf into the hole the exhaust comes out of. Cabin heat in the Gen 3 will bother you unless you change the exhaust. If you cna swing it get the Gen 4. I have and no complaints.

As far as technology, forget it. Just anti-lock brakes. You feel much more connected to the Viper than Vette, but alot of that is the seats I think. Either vette or Viper you cant go wrong.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in hampton nh...hopefulley one will pipe in and offer...also i would like to know Is it a point and shoot car? Does in corner well? I know it must accelerate good with 500hp? The vett was fast with nice ride but sketchy in the corners, the 911 was fast as well real good in the corners but hard firm ride....like i said just want to know what i'm getting into. thanks

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to remember: MOST IMPORTANT! YOU are in control of the VIPER...the other cars you drove had what we call 'nanny-controls/traction control-electronic stability control'...the VIPER has NONE of that. You need a VIPER with EXcellent tires, and throttle carefully...YOU are in control of what the car will do. You cannot rely on ANYthing in a Viper...that's what MAKES a VIPER a VIPER/BEAST~!!!! NOTHING compares. We also had Z06's, now have the paddle-shifting 2008 Vette...absolutely no comparison to any of these cars. Two different beasts totally. The Vette ALLOWS for a margin of error, the Viper does NOT...keep that in mind. Most of all, ENJOY the brute power/torque of this monster. (Our plate says RAWBEAST) Good Luck ~juli
(People who've never driven a VIPER OFTEN make rookie mistakes, thinking they can lay on the throttle, you cannot, you'll end up a$$-backwards into a tree, not to skeer ya or anything, just being brutally honest)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the 2009/GenIV...there's NO crossover exhaust as in our 2005. MUCH-reduced cabin heat.
NO changes need to be made to the '09...we're not modding. Exhaust note sounds great, love the look of the Coupe, we've had the verts before ('05 & '08)...just prefer the look of a Coupe, no problems with the verts. Depends on what you prefer! LOTS to ponder here. Do a search of the specific years you are looking for, there are different cars within your time-span ('03-'06). All our best on your search for YOUR perfect Viper for YOU. ~juli

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having driven a couple of gen1 Vipers in the midst of my search for my very own first Viper, I would say that the Viper is easier to handle than the 60s and 70s muscle cars but certain types of bumps in the road seem to really jar the rear end... The other odd thing is that the driver's foot well and pedals seem like they could have better ergonomics... The angle of the clutch pedal felt sorta funky... I just figured that I would get used to this pretty quick...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in hampton nh...hopefulley one will pipe in and offer...also i would like to know Is it a point and shoot car? Does in corner well? I know it must accelerate good with 500hp? The vett was fast with nice ride but sketchy in the corners, the 911 was fast as well real good in the corners but hard firm ride....like i said just want to know what i'm getting into. thanks

You might want to PM Jerry Colpitts who's the New England Region president. I'm SURE he can hook you up with someone that near to you for a test drive!

So many of the answers you seek are subjective. We can give you our personal opinions, but you really should get a hold of Jerry so you can at least drive in one.

IMO, a Gen 3 corners "better" than an '07 vette, mainly because the chassis is stiffer and the tire patch is larger. I really don't know how to address exactly what "sketchy" is. I will say that the Viper is harder to drive at the edge of it's capability. Again, it's difficult to answer your questions without better context, i.e., are you comparing cars for "street use", "spirited driving" or track use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to remember: MOST IMPORTANT! YOU are in control of the VIPER...the other cars you drove had what we call 'nanny-controls/traction control-electronic stability control'...the VIPER has NONE of that. You need a VIPER with EXcellent tires, and throttle carefully...YOU are in control of what the car will do. You cannot rely on ANYthing in a Viper...that's what MAKES a VIPER a VIPER/BEAST~!!!! NOTHING compares. We also had Z06's, now have the paddle-shifting 2008 Vette...absolutely no comparison to any of these cars. Two different beasts totally. The Vette ALLOWS for a margin of error, the Viper does NOT...keep that in mind. Most of all, ENJOY the brute power/torque of this monster. (Our plate says RAWBEAST) Good Luck ~juli
(People who've never driven a VIPER OFTEN make rookie mistakes, thinking they can lay on the throttle, you cannot, you'll end up a$$-backwards into a tree, not to skeer ya or anything, just being brutally honest)

i know what you are talking about, i drove a 930 turbo for many years...you have to drive the car....

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one statement that says it all for me is: Think of the Vette as a scalpel and the Viper as a sledge hammer.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know what you are talking about, i drove a 930 turbo for many years...you have to drive the car....

OK, good. So you know how a 930 wanted to swap ends in a corner when the boost came up? A Viper will do that at any time. Going straight.

You also axted if a Viper is 'point and shoot'........ no. Handling is fantastic, you just have to know HOW. A modern turbo Porsche, being all-wheel drive is point and shoot. Vipers bite.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all good info

you'll be ok if you ease into your car in the beginning (and it has the right tires)

i love the p-cars you are leaving, but would choose a viper again (as long as it's not for primary dd)

:drive:

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will not be a every day car...maybe 2k a year....i here people talking about the tires? stock tires arnt any good?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy Clarkson w/Top Gear is historically tough on American cars however I honestly feel he was very impartial during his "review" of the Viper. He is for the most part accurate and I tend to agree with him on many points. Give this a look if you have not already.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePe0ueyx0o[/media]

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy Clarkson w/Top Gear is historically tough on American cars however I honestly feel he was very impartial during his "review" of the Viper. He is for the most part accurate and I tend to agree with him on many points. Give this a look if you have not already.

that was great

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will not be a every day car...maybe 2k a year....i here people talking about the tires? stock tires arnt any good?

Gen III Vipers (03-06) shipped with run-flat tires that are a liability especially in cooler temps, which you will see plenty of in NH. Total personality change in the handling and acceleration of the car with Pilot Sport 2 tires - they won't hold up if you get a flat, but those stock runflats are like Viper Ice-skates even on dry roads! With PS2 tires and some careful throttle you'll be fine. Dodge figured this out BTW and with Gen IV (08-09) they stopped using the runflats and started using PS2s for stock tires.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
…..also many say the viper is a stiffer and rougher car then the vett?

oh... another note about the tire selection - PS2s give you a softer ride than the stock runflats - we're still talking extra firm, but anyone who has only driven/rode in runflat-clad vipers would be overstating how hard the ride is. I have driven my '06 from NYC to Rochester (340 miles each way) twice now and it's very comfortable even long distance. Most people who get a test-ride remark that it is more comfortable than they expected it to be:2tu:
... (and more scary in acceleration than they expected also) :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also get a feel on some lap runs with an SRT driver at :
DriveSRT - SRT Track Experience - Overview
Check for a schedule near your area.....

Just a note on that, we did the SRT Track Experience (BTW, it's FREE with new Viper purchase!), and no one drove a Viper.
The other SRTs were used (Charger/Challenger/Caliber/Jeep/300C). Only Viper there was only for photo ops.
~juli

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the SRT Track Experience a while back, and I did get a chance to drive the Viper, but only in the Auto-X so 1st gear only =[.

However, one of the SRT drivers DID take me out on the full race track for a ride along. That may be the best way for an interested prospective Viper owner to get an idea of what the car can do, short of a real test drive. It's $500 to attend the SRT Experience, but it is a lot of fun to thrash all the other SRT vehicles and ride along in a Viper with someone who can push it on the track.

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello....Well Thanks for pm ing this thread to me i didnt even see it......This is all you have to do....Go to Our website neviperclub.org go to the calendar and see our events and let me know which one you can make.You are more than welcome to ride with me..Heavly moddified 98 but i will get you into any car you want in our group...We have a North Shore cruise coming up on Sept 13th...Which will not be far from you at all...Let Me Know. [email protected]

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello....Well Thanks for pm ing this thread to me i didnt even see it......This is all you have to do....Go to Our website neviperclub.org go to the calendar and see our events and let me know which one you can make.You are more than welcome to ride with me..Heavly moddified 98 but i will get you into any car you want in our group...We have a North Shore cruise coming up on Sept 13th...Which will not be far from you at all...Let Me Know. [email protected]

How could you ask for more!

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score

Yeah I generally get annoyed by Clarkson's snobbery towards American cars, but he was quite fair in his assessment of the Gen III Viper.

What I really hate is when they lap the cars in the rain. An experienced driver on a dry track and that car would have been near the very top of their recorded times.

Under those conditions it placed under the freaking BMW M3.

Blah.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THANKS JERRY....ill be in touch...thanks again bob