Potential New Viper owner.

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have enjoyed this forum for the past few months and recently signed up. I have always wanted a Viper; particularly first Generation since they came out back in 1992. I recently purchased a brand new Honda S2000 CR model about a year ago and had grand plans of turbocharging....etc. I then started researching the early Gen I vipers and found that they were now affordable. I recently sold my beloved Honda and have been in the market for one ever since.

I have tentatively struck up a deal with an owner and was wondering if there was anything in particular anyone recommended prior to purchasing the vehicle. It is a 1994 model year vehicle with very low mileage; just under 5000 miles. I would be the third owner. From the picture there is a dent on the driver's side mirror that I would need to repair. As the vehicle is in Ohio I will have to drive down from PA to view & potentially purchase. Are there any Viper tech's that anyone know's of near the Dayton, OH area. Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Looking forward to picking one up soon!!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Get the VIN and run a Carfax yourself...then, ask a Viper friendly C-J-D dealer to run the VIN and review that report yourself (they may black out the names)...the Dayton VCA group likely can/will help...pay a dealer for an inspection, hopefully by a Viper Tech, maybe a VCA member can look at it as well on the lift...find out about the headgaskets ( if not done, get it done...allow $2000.00 for parts/labor) and look at sidesills closely. Inspect for jack,tools, side windows, and condition of top. If you buy it, Get it serviced promptly...consider Chuck Tator!!!

Good luck...a Gen I is a blast to drive!!

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont forget the Tonneau Cover too!

good luck
Gen 1 great choice
Gen 2 Best choice
Cant go wrong with either one.two differnt beasts.

OP
OP
T

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the prompt responses. The vehicle will definetly not be a daily driver....weekends 2-3 times per month at the most. I did run a carfax & there are only 5 entries on it with no reported accidents or other issues. I actually found the vehicle on Autotrader. I will post the link later this evening. Thanks again.

OP
OP
T

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I apologize, the current owner described it as a "bump" on the drivers side mirror; it's hard to make out what exactly the damage is from the picture he sent me.

Thanks 99 RT/10; I'll keep that vehicle in mind if this deal falls through.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have '94 now and frickin' LOVE it!!!!!

Here's the deal....

The gen 1 is not a DD! These cars leak buckets in the rain! It can be fixed(mostly, but still leaks)... This car is a great driver and I've loved all three of mine. The prices are good now but you have to remember that this is a purpose-built performance car!

If you buy it and regret it.... sell it to a guy like me who knows what it is.

just sayin'

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1's are junk, Gen 4's are over rated.

Get a GTS or a Gen 3 - both can be DD. Gen 1 - aside from the rain the fact that you can never really lock it will always keep you insight of it. The Gen 4 ACR is junk, lap times are too fast, handling and stopping power are far too superior.

All kidding aside - the GTS or Gen 3 will give you a much better 1st Viper experience and for the money they are hard to beat. IMO a track prepped (motons, PS2s, eibachs) & Paxtonized Gen 3 is a much better value than a gen 4 - to the tune of about $30k+ better value. Others will surely disagree but that is my opinion.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 KICKS A$$

Anyone can get one and they frickin' rock!!! ALL else are JUNK! windows? roof? ... Who needs 'em? ... just more weight...IMO

BUY IT!! hahah

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
IMO a track prepped (motons, PS2s, eibachs) & Paxtonized Gen 3 is a much better value than a gen 4 - to the tune of about $30k+ better value. Others will surely disagree but that is my opinion.

Somebody said that exact same thing to me the other day.

OP
OP
T

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few items of concern: in further reviewing the pictures I noticed a small amount of what appears to be rust on the bolts that hold the deck-lid on the passengers side; also what appears to be a slightly rusted bar on what I guess you'd call the trunk stop (when the trunk is raised on each side there is a bar with an attached black circular object). I have heard the Gen I's leak, but how concerning would you say these items are?

OP
OP
T

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The quick story.....been up here in PA for school. Originally from San Antonio, TX. We've greatly missed the big state & are happy to be headed back to the Frisco/Mckinney area very shortly. It's funny, we've been in PA for 9 yrs now and have had to call our local police department for speeders through the neighborhood multiple times. Every time we've called their response has been....."Oh, you're the house with all the Texas paraphernalia"???????

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see the dent in picture number two. You will need to replace the driver's side mirror.

You are already in the 30k price range. My opinon: You can find a Gen II which is a lot more user friendly. I'd pass.

:usa:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have enjoyed this forum for the past few months and recently signed up. I have always wanted a Viper; particularly first Generation since they came out back in 1992. I recently purchased a brand new Honda S2000 CR model about a year ago and had grand plans of turbocharging....etc. I then started researching the early Gen I vipers and found that they were now affordable. I recently sold my beloved Honda and have been in the market for one ever since.

I have tentatively struck up a deal with an owner and was wondering if there was anything in particular anyone recommended prior to purchasing the vehicle. It is a 1994 model year vehicle with very low mileage; just under 5000 miles. I would be the third owner. From the picture there is a dent on the driver's side mirror that I would need to repair. As the vehicle is in Ohio I will have to drive down from PA to view & potentially purchase. Are there any Viper tech's that anyone know's of near the Dayton, OH area. Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Looking forward to picking one up soon!!!!
I live one hour from Dayton and I know a very good tech up there. Let me know if you want me to check out the car. I do think there are better deals out there though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again all, I did get him under 30K. Just really concerned about the rust. Chrisss, I sent you a PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone concerned about a 15 year old car with very low miles like that? I had a ford truck like that and it just kept costing me money to keep on the road. Everything just dried up.

Why does the mirror have damage? Very odd!

BTW, there is a 94 just added to the classified yesterday. I know the car. Not mine, but a members car. Good price and it comes with extra power. Check it out.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few items of concern: in further reviewing the pictures I noticed a small amount of what appears to be rust on the bolts that hold the deck-lid on the passengers side; also what appears to be a slightly rusted bar on what I guess you'd call the trunk stop (when the trunk is raised on each side there is a bar with an attached black circular object). I have heard the Gen I's leak, but how concerning would you say these items are?
Well, it is a 15 year old car. Not likely to be in showroom condition. When I was looking for my first viper I looked at several nice Gen 1s. Everyone of them had corrosion on the screws that hold the side exaust covers on. A dealer told me it was caused by the heat the generate. Also, as someone else said, I would be a little concerned about the milage being TOO low. gaskets, etc. may be leaky from lack of use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper