aftermarket stereo install

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have searched for a few hours, and cannot find my answer. Trying to figure out how to wire the amp DIN connector from the factory amp to my new Kenwood head unit. I have sliced the DIN, see the seperate wires, now where the hell do I run them to??? Do I use the speaker wires from the new head unit and splice into the DIN?

I put a stereo in my 94 RT/10 and it was a piece of cake to figure out, not so on the 01 GTS.

TIA

martyb

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're better off replacing the amp at the same time. The factory amp is not very good. If you have to keep the factory amp you will have to try and find a DIN adapter to your aftermarket connector. I think I've heard it being done before but not very often.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks GTSnake. I got frustrated and gave up, the car is going to a pro on monday for new amps, head unit, component speakers, and dual subs in back.

martyb

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not going to be a bling system with a custom fiberglass sub box and all, just a basic system that I hope will fill my need for some headbanging!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you most likely your Kenwood head unit will produce louder and clearer sound then running it through the factory amp. Don't waste money on professionals, run new wiring to your speakers, it is very simple.

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you most likely your factory head unit will produce louder and clearer sound then running it through the factory amp. Don't waste money on professionals, run new wiring to your speakers, it is very simple.

You must be kidding? As far as the stereo goes the factory everything is junk. That is the worst headunit Alpine ever made and those speakers are like one piece of cardboard. If you want good sound go to a professional, but not a box store. I wish you were near me as I could set you up with a professional with reasonable prices and installation. If you want great sound on a cd, go with an Eclipse headunit. If you want superior radio reception, go with a Pioneer as they have the best tuners. As far as an amp, try a Soundstream as they are clean and not to pricey. As far as speakers, don't go lower than Infinity Kappas (stay away from their lower line called "reference"). I would go with Canton's, but they are much more pricey and harder to find. The brands I listed are middle price wise and good quality. You could go more exoctic, but in a Viper you can't hear the difference. Keep all of your stock stuff because if you ever sell the car there are many people that will want it and you can fit everything in the boxes from the new stuff and hide it in a closet without taking up much space. But get rid of all the stock stuff... If you are changing, change it all otherwise you will have a weak link wherever your stock component is.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol just read what I wrote. Meant to say your aftermarket Kenwood. Replace factory with aftermarket Kenwood :). Why would you run your factory headunit without the factory amp. Editing the first post :)

turbo.pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I came across the same problem...I bought a DIN adapter that works with the stock amp, but didnt end up using it becuase I found out that my amp was fried. I dont think the adapter will work for you since you spliced the DIN cable. Did you actuly cut the connector off? There are more that just speaker wires...remote/acc/prw/ground so it would be hard to indetify and connect the speaker wires. I just ran new wiring form my aftermarket deck to the out put harness of the amp that leads to the speakers. There is a sticker behind the amp that idetifies each wire to each speaker (FL+/- FR+/- etc) I ran a total of 8 wires +/- for each speaker. You have to take apart the harness and free each individual wire. Its a matter of matching and connecting, heres the wire color code:

1.FL- light green w/dark green 2.FL+ light green w/violet,
3.FR+ light blue w/violet 4.FR- light blue w/dark green,
5.RL+ white w/violet 6.RL- white w/dark green,
7.RR+ tan w/violet 8.RR- tan/dark green.

This is just using the amp in the deck to power the speakers not for an aftermarket amp, I have an aftermarket amp but its just for my subs. Hopefully this helps and you can save some $$. Or you could use a female DIN connector heres the link, it will work but only if you didnt cut the DIN connector off...

http://forums.viperclub.org/virginia-maryland/624799-any-head-unit-install-gurus.html

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont' forget about keeping those rear vents clear. Unless you don't care about blowing your ears out when the air bags go. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth