Might take the plunge, need some Viper advice

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't bore you with too many of my details, but I've been a Viper fanatic for my entire adult life. Finally making some money, and able to get into one. It's still a big purchase for me, so I'm trying to get as much info as possible!!

Car details:

2001 GTS (Blue)
VIN: 1B3ER69E01V704735
Miles: 18500
Mod List:
1.7 Rockers
3" Cat Back (TNT)
3.45 Gears
Billet Throttle Bodies
CAI
Plug/wires

All the above work was performed at TNT Motorsports, Houston TX. The owner still has the receipt, however the work was performed while in the hand of the previous owner (2 owner car). Current owner still has the majority of the stock parts.

Checked out and drove the car once already. Car was clean. Had a few little scratches here and there, but nothing serious. No swirl marks. Nothing alarming when I drove it. Clean carfax. Owner even gave me the contact info for the previous owner (who is also local). Car has been used for a cruiser as far as I can tell....no track miles. No misses or pinging. Catback is awful loud, so I couldn't really listen for any obvious gear whine from the gear swap performed. No abnormal vibrations.

So here's my questions:

1. I will be meeting the owner at the local dodge dealer that does his oil changes and maintenance. I will have the opportunity to see it on a lift. I will be looking for obvious signs of chassis/body work. Leaks. Indications of repair work. Anything in particular I should also inspect for?

2. I know the air conditioning is lacking in the Gen I & II's. The A/C blows cold/cool, but barely spills out of the vents on high. Just wanted to verify this is "normal."

3. Haven't dug up much on TNT Motorsports since it appears they're out of business for some time. The mod list is short, so I'm not overly concerned. Just curious if this could be a red flag?

Anything I'm missing? Been trying to search for as much info as possible. Sorry for the long post....and any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

V

Venomiss

Welcome!
Sent you a PM with contact information for the Houston area along with some other ideas.
Good luck in your search!

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nce the mods are minor I wouldn't worry about them. TNT had some strong cars when in busy and apparently there headers are loud and performance well.
I would look for any small cracks in suspension arms etc and any dips and paint overspray.
My ac was never cold cold nor blow out hard in either of my gts.
Also check the wateroump as the earlier ones have been known to go bad.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TNT (Roy Terpstra) did awesome work. He did a lot of mods on my old GTS and had zero problems. His custom headers were really good. Wished he was still in business. He and his brother have been out for years now. You will love the car.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
inspect as you would any other car

+ look at body part fitment (gaps), tire age, shifter vibration (engine trans mounts) cup holder bezel (jk)

very solid cars

are you in houston?

Sittingbull101

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. I know the air conditioning is lacking in the Gen I & II's. The A/C blows cold/cool, but barely spills out of the vents on high. Just wanted to verify this is "normal."

I don't think so. I had my car, very similar to yours, at the track (quarter miles and track) all day long with a 98F heat., I never broke a sweat. The engine temp gauge got a bit close to the red mark while I was racing, nothing alarming. I would check if the freon is at a normal level, then check the cooling fan. I live in the same climate, you know how hot it is... well, even on 100 degree days, my cabin stays very cold.

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the advice everyone. I actually live in Spring...close enough.

Glad to hear about TNT being a reputable shop. Makes me feel more at ease. The work was performed quite a while ago, so I'm guessing that if there was a problem, it would have come up by now.

I'll have to look closely at the compressor while this is on the lift...I love quick/cheap fixes like that!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what someone else said, WATER PUMP-check it.

very common problem for that yr Viper

also check to see date on TIRES.

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tires appear to be the originals, which is fine because I plan to upgrade wheels/tires.

OK, so I did a quick search on the water pumps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 00-01's had some faulty water pumps? Can someone elaborate on what I should be checking for? I'm assuming they begin to weep like any other pump out there? I kept a close eye on the temp gauge on the original test drive. We put it through it's paces, and sat in some traffic, and I saw no creep in the temp gauge.

I appreciate the help!!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tires appear to be the originals, which is fine because I plan to upgrade wheels/tires.

OK, so I did a quick search on the water pumps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 00-01's had some faulty water pumps? Can someone elaborate on what I should be checking for? I'm assuming they begin to weep like any other pump out there? I kept a close eye on the temp gauge on the original test drive. We put it through it's paces, and sat in some traffic, and I saw no creep in the temp gauge.

I appreciate the help!!

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/629162-there-better-water-pump-install.html

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again Leslie.

For all that are interested, the inspection went well. Was just as clean underneath as up top. Chatted with the mechanic for a while....said the owner was very meticulous about bringing it in for check-ups/oil changes. No leaks or any indications of repairs underneath. I spent about an hour looking, so I was thorough. No frame repairs or sanding marks on the exterior. As said, the only things I can fault it with is that it will need tires in the near future and I'll be trying the "O-ring fix" on the A/C.

We then went on about a 45 minute test drive, both on highways and through some traffic. Temp gauge was steady and didn't show indication of the water pump issue yet.

Long story short, after all this rain clears out of Houston, I'll be picking up the car I've waited to own since I was 16!!

Hope to meet some of you local Viper owners in the near future!

Ken

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wooohoooo!! Today is the day to pick it up if the weather holds. Pics to come!!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be Carefull!!!! Don't get to carried away on your first drive

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been taking it slow and getting used to it. Not a total newb to the car scene, but I've taken time to "get to know" each car I've owned before pushing it too hard. I'd also like to get some updated rubber underneath it before playing.

My plans this weekend involve working on the A/C. I'm going to try the "O-ring fix" I've seen posted on here and fill her back up. Keeping my fingers crossed that'll do it.

Again, many thanks to all that have posted up and pm'd me!!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also like to get some updated rubber underneath it before playing.

Call JonB at Parts Rack about tires. He suggested a slightly different tire size than OEM for better handling. I had seen some posts about changing front tire cross section, but had forgotten about that option. I took his advice. I haven't driven any twisty roads yet since installing the a week ago to see if I notice any difference; but the price was approx the same as the OEM size, and his prices are great and quick delivery.

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to Viper Days and learn how to drive your new car from the experts. Although the 2010 schdeule has not been posted yet they will be back to Texas World Speedway outside of Houston and Hallet Motor Speedway in Tulsa. Start planning for a great time with the best viper drivers im the country. Go to viperdays.com to learn more.

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually took a ride out there a few weeks ago for the last viperdays at TWS...to see the show and look for possible Vipers for sale. I attended a driving school out there about a year ago in my 03 Cobra. My Viper will definitely see some track time at TWS. I'm HOOKED!! And it's only about an hour from my house.

Thanks for the info on the tires....so just call parts rack and ask for JonB??

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually took a ride out there a few weeks ago for the last viperdays at TWS...to see the show and look for possible Vipers for sale. I attended a driving school out there about a year ago in my 03 Cobra. My Viper will definitely see some track time at TWS. I'm HOOKED!! And it's only about an hour from my house.

Thanks for the info on the tires....so just call parts rack and ask for JonB??

:) Jon will be the one answering the phone.

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy newbie Ken!

We need to get some nice wheels on that Viper.

What's up Mr. Ball? This weekend I'll be looking through your multiple wheel companies and narrowing it down a bit.

Hell, with the multiple wheels you're ordering for yours, maybe I could bolt on one or two to help me decide :)

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good man....I think I like them better than the last set!

OP
OP
K

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I took the lazy way out and just filled it up with freon. If it leaks out, I'll try out the o-ring fix. The A/C is pretty pleasant now!! We'll see if it holds...

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't think they made 2001 GTS in blue? Only 96 and 97... :S Repainted?

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great looking car...congrats! Keep an eye on that AC. Mine gave me problems for most of the summer until I finally had a mechanic buddy replace those o-rings that everyone talked about. They got replaced and my buddy recommended replacing the dryer as well, $17, and its been ice cold since then. These things get miserably hot inside, especially if you live in a hot climate like we do, and its no fun to have such a great car that you can't bear to drive. Once mine got fixed, and before it really started leaking, its freezing cold (putting out 58 degree air at the vents). I usually keep it on low now even when its 110 outside.

Have fun.