Supra owner looking to enter Viper scene.

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all. I am the current owner of a 94 6 speed Supra with 76mm single, fuel, and all of the associated goodies. Ive run a best 10.94@133mph on 93 octane and dyno'd 720hp on C16. I have much appriciated the looks of the Viper since its release. I now see that the prices have come down to the $25k range on the RT models. So, the Supra will be returned to stock and sold to fund the purchase of a Viper. What can I expect to get for $25k? All generations of the Viper look great to me, but are there years I should prefer over another? I wouldnt buy a 98 over a 94 for the same price just because of the year, but should I be looking at other aspects in the decision?

Thanks for the advice all. I look forward to becoming an owner.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do a search, and PM me when your done, I'll help you out. Currently in your price range you can get a nice Gen1 or a ok Gen 2.

VENOMNS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sccoupe.... Coming from an old single turbo supra owner, your making a good switch! get at least a gen 2.... 96 to 99 so you can have the best cams and force induce it! if you can pull more money together, go with the gen 3... the brakes alone are worth the upgrade!!! I have had all so I might know a little... =)

vipurgen1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All Viper Years Have A Certain Aspect. I Personally Love The Gen 1. I Guess It's Because This Is The First Viper I Saw And Fell In Love With. Not To Mention The Side Pipes Are A Great Addition.

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last two days were spent stuck in the garage pulling mods off of the Supra. Seems like it took a lot longer to put them on. :) Ill have a few weeks getting it back to stock and then for sale it goes.

I have found a few nice Gen 2 GTS's for sale in the $35k range. The one is silver with blue stripes and is actually local, but with 75k miles. Probably best it has those miles as im not ready to pounce yet. The blue gen2 GTS with white stripes is what I like the best. One of the best looking cars in the world IMHO.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a ton of posts detailing the differences both mechanically and driving wise. The B&W GTS is the icon, period. Buy the best, cleanest car you can possibly afford. It will ultimately save you in the long run. Get ready for a torque enema. The Viper is on the extreme opposite side of the spectrum from the Supra.

You're gonna love it!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 1s don't have outer door handles, side windows, roof, etc. Gen1s are 50hp less and use the Dakota suspension pieces whereas the Gen2 has tubing headers, better exhaust, good headgaskets and better tires (98 and up were 18"). The 96-99 Gen 2 engines came with forged pistons. The Gen2 engines all used the racing blocks as the "ordinary" engine castings were flawed.

If you want to travel, then you need the GTS because it has double (12 cubic feet) the storage space of the RT10. The GTS also is 4mph faster at top speed and being a hardtop is allowed 11.5 ET before a rollbar is required. Roadsters and verts require a rollbar at 13.0 in the quarter mile.

Ted

V

Venomiss

Viper Buyers Guide
Get one of these if you don't have it already. Take your time looking and save as much $$ as possible to purchase your dream.

Have you been in a Viper before or know anyone who is already an owner?
You are from what area?

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Buyers Guide
Get one of these if you don't have it already. Take your time looking and save as much $$ as possible to purchase your dream.

Have you been in a Viper before or know anyone who is already an owner?
You are from what area?

My buyers guide is on the way. I have sit in a Viper before at a show in Carlisle, PA but dont know anyone to take a ride. Im in south central PA if anyone wants to offer. :)

Thanks for the information everyone.

Jason

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all. I am the current owner of a 94 6 speed Supra with 76mm single, fuel, and all of the associated goodies. Ive run a best 10.94@133mph on 93 octane and dyno'd 720hp on C16. I have much appriciated the looks of the Viper since its release. I now see that the prices have come down to the $25k range on the RT models. So, the Supra will be returned to stock and sold to fund the purchase of a Viper. What can I expect to get for $25k? All generations of the Viper look great to me, but are there years I should prefer over another? I wouldnt buy a 98 over a 94 for the same price just because of the year, but should I be looking at other aspects in the decision?

Thanks for the advice all. I look forward to becoming an owner.

Jason,

I, too, am a Supra convert. I had a 94 auto with built motor, Crane cams, Sound Performance fuel system, VPC, Super AFR, SP71 GTQ turbo, Boost Logic auto trans with Precision Industries 3200 stall torque converter, etc, etc. The car dyno'd 701 rwhp with the converter locked. It went 10.9 @ 130 on drag radials and medium boost.

I never thought I'd sell that car...........until I bought the Viper.

I bought a 98 GTS. Knowing that I'd want to mod the car down the road (like I did with the Supra), I wanted to start with the best platform. The 97, 98, 99 cars had forged bottom ends, better headers and the lumpier 708 cam. My car made 415/449 bone stock and ran 12.5 @ 117 the second night I owned the car on it's 6 year old factory Pilot Sports. Basically, my Viper ran faster bone stock on hard tires than my Supra did at full BPU.

Personally, I'd try to get into at LEAST a 97. All of the GTS's all have power windows, power locks and air conditioning. The 97 and newer RT/10's do, too. The older RT/10's do not have windows and many don't have air. Plus, they were lower on horsepower.

After about 90 days of ownership, I put a Roe supercharger on my Viper, along with some headers, rockers and a VEC 2. It ended up making 630/675 on pump gas and went 10.4 @ 137 on 18" drag radials. At that point, it was faster on pump gas than the Supra ever was on race gas. I never looked back. It's only gotten faster since then.

You will not regret the decision to jump from a Supra to a Viper. It has more low end grunt and is more eye catching than the Supra. The "fun to drive" factor is many times higher, in my opinion.

Having to pump gas out of a 55 gallon drum in order to make power got really old. You don't have that issue with the Viper. I wouldn't try to skimp and just limp by on $25k. I'd really try to shoot for a 97 or newer RT/10 or GTS. You may have to spend a few bucks more, but it's worth it to have power options, a/c, forged pistons and more power.

Best of luck in your quest!

JB

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

I, too, am a Supra convert. I had a 94 auto with built motor, Crane cams, Sound Performance fuel system, VPC, Super AFR, SP71 GTQ turbo, Boost Logic auto trans with Precision Industries 3200 stall torque converter, etc, etc. The car dyno'd 701 rwhp with the converter locked. It went 10.9 @ 130 on drag radials and medium boost.

I never thought I'd sell that car...........until I bought the Viper.

I bought a 98 GTS. Knowing that I'd want to mod the car down the road (like I did with the Supra), I wanted to start with the best platform. The 97, 98, 99 cars had forged bottom ends, better headers and the lumpier 708 cam. My car made 415/449 bone stock and ran 12.5 @ 117 the second night I owned the car on it's 6 year old factory Pilot Sports. Basically, my Viper ran faster bone stock on hard tires than my Supra did at full BPU.

Personally, I'd try to get into at LEAST a 97. All of the GTS's all have power windows, power locks and air conditioning. The 97 and newer RT/10's do, too. The older RT/10's do not have windows and many don't have air. Plus, they were lower on horsepower.

After about 90 days of ownership, I put a Roe supercharger on my Viper, along with some headers, rockers and a VEC 2. It ended up making 630/675 on pump gas and went 10.4 @ 137 on 18" drag radials. At that point, it was faster on pump gas than the Supra ever was on race gas. I never looked back. It's only gotten faster since then.

You will not regret the decision to jump from a Supra to a Viper. It has more low end grunt and is more eye catching than the Supra. The "fun to drive" factor is many times higher, in my opinion.

Having to pump gas out of a 55 gallon drum in order to make power got really old. You don't have that issue with the Viper. I wouldn't try to skimp and just limp by on $25k. I'd really try to shoot for a 97 or newer RT/10 or GTS. You may have to spend a few bucks more, but it's worth it to have power options, a/c, forged pistons and more power.

Best of luck in your quest!

JB

With that recommendation, I will post up a great buy on a 1997 GTS:

97' GTS Paxton S/C - ViperClub Classifieds

:2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper