new owner: picked up a Viper over the weekend

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My fiancee' and I flew from Detroit to pick up the car in Texas on friday, drove to St. Louis, then a stop in Chicago, up to a lake in northern MI, then home (Grand Rapids, MI).

I am very happy with the car. There are a few questions I had after spending so much time in the new car.
1. Is there a trick to the hvac? It seems any setting on the left of the airflow (vent, a/c, defrost) is at the coldest, anything on the right is at the hottest.
2. Can the passenger mirror be adjusted to go further down?
3. I am almost positive that the car is catless. It pops whenever not on the throttle, can touch the side-sills when getting out (hot, but not burning). Without removing the side-sills, can you tell if there are cats?

1999 Dodge Viper ACR
Mods:
big brake kit
some exhaust work, definitely catless
3M clear bra

Texas:
You must be registered for see images

Oklahoma:

Missouri:

St. Louis; Ritz Carlton:

Illinois:

Chicago; Ritz Carlton:

Michigan:

Headed back from grabbing the GN:

Home:

Nick

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pics and looks like a fun trip!

It's easy to tell if there are cats or not... Does it smell like a lawn mower or a motorcycle?? = no cats! Does it smell like your neighbors Honda? = yep, the cats are there.

I drive gen 1s so I can't comment on the HVAC thing....

=J

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the HVAC goes...On the GEN II cars there is TWO settings. A/C that comes through the vents on the dash and under the dash and hot defrost in which hot air is blown out throught the vents on top of the dash under the windsheild. There is no inbetween. Also....congrads on the new ride. She looks great!!!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. That's how my HVAC works.
2. Passenger side mirror won't go dwon any further....I haved learned to live with it.
3. I would say you have no cats or high flow. I have high flow and can lay my hands on the sills after an hours drive.

Nice car and what a fun drive. Will it be your DD?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like a fun road trip

1st time like looking over the hood of the batmobile huh

congrats and enjoy

V

Venomiss

Welcome and congratulations!

In case you haven't seen this already this site might come in handy for you:
MCVO Home

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

So I crawled under the car today and it looks like there is an aftermarket cbe. Does anybody know of it from this pic?

Nick

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!!!...the car looks great. That color has a very elegant look to it.

What lake did you go to? We have a house on Torch Lake. I stay home in Nebraska to earn the money to pay for it while the wife and kids spend five to six weeks of the summer there:dunno:. I have thought about taking the Viper up there the next time there is a Mackinaw area event.

ZESTY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick we, MCVO have one of our events going on this weekend up in Leelanau . I have sent you a PM with the details. What a great opportiniuty to meet members of one of the best car clubs in the world.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick,

That's some brand of what you call a muffler delete, although it doesn't look like my Snake Oyl muffler delete.

Thanks everyone.

So I crawled under the car today and it looks like there is an aftermarket cbe. Does anybody know of it from this pic?

Nick

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick we, MCVO have one of our events going on this weekend up in Leelanau . I have sent you a PM with the details. What a great opportiniuty to meet members of one of the best car clubs in the world.
Thanks for the invite, but I have to go to Detroit for family reasons this weekend :crazy2:. When I get a chance, I am definitely going to hook up with the MI club for an event.

Nick,

That's some brand of what you call a muffler delete, although it doesn't look like my Snake Oyl muffler delete.
Thanks for your help, I had no clue.

Nick

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fly & drive is the ONLY way to go!!! Stopping and staying 1st class...icing on the cake! Glad to see the ACR found a good home! Looks like a true Texas car - those pipes are clean!

My favorite color & one that is on my "list" if I can ever expand my garage!

I keep track of you who have the cars I want, just incase...

Enjoy it - some very scenic & beautiful roads up in MI.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Beautiful car!

There is a clone to your car running around the MI chapter as well. Just giving you a heads up so you can plan some evil twin things. :D Always good to confuse everyone when two identical cars pull in!
:lmao:

Welcome to the Viper Nation! :)

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Fastzilla.

Mopar Boy, are you talking about Darko? I rained on his parade by picking up a silver GTS, but it was too good of a car to pass up.

Nick

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Is there a trick to the hvac? It seems any setting on the left of the airflow (vent, a/c, defrost) is at the coldest, anything on the right is at the hottest.

Nick

The way it should work according to the service manual is that settings to the left of center do not have temperature control; AC is cold and vent is simply ambient air. On the right the heat, defrost and mix do have temp control.

If you look at the diagram of the heater A/C unit (the box under the dash with the heater core, A/C evaporator, and venting doors) you see that air coming out of the dash vents and crotch holes doesn't pass through the heater core. Air coming out of the window defroster or floor ducts does pass through the heater core. Since the temperature is adjusted by how much coolant passes through the heater core (i.e. not blending cool and warm air) it will be slow to respond - have to wait until the coolant in the heater core cools down or heats up.

If it's going to be a DD, need to know these things. ;)

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice talking to you last night. Great looking car! We will have to get you to bring it out some night and go play with Josh.

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I really enjoy the silver more than I thought I would.

Nice talking to you last night. Great looking car! We will have to get you to bring it out some night and go play with Josh.
It was good talking with you too.
I definitely want to run Josh. He will probably win, but it would still be fun. Probably be out next weekend.

Nick

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let my fiancee' drive it yesterday. Surprisingly with the pedal adjustment, she fit well (5'3"). Anyways, new to the Viper; she learned to drive a manual on a 360rwhp WS6 and drove my 320bhp jdm STi WRX wagon. She managed to spin the tires and get it a little sideways on the first turn and did some WOT pulls on the highway. :drive:

She likes the car more now.:2tu:

I also found out that the passenger side seat sits higher than the driver's side. Is that normal?

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper