I tinted front lights on my GTS, pics

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered a tint kit from "ilovemymotor" on ebay. I ordered the pre-cut sidewindow and rear hatch glass for my GTS. Then I asked them to send me headlight, driving light and taillight tints as well. I figure that really dark cars lose out to the brilliant chrome and glass of headlights and the Orange front marker lights look "out of place". Before ...

You must be registered for see images

I purchased clear markers from ebay (once they went down to $36) as the start for tinting.

The tint is specially formulated for headlights and driving lights. It is recommended that Viper headlights be covered with a "headlight protector" film to stop the lenses from pitting and rock chips. The Gen 2 drving lights are suceptible to cracked lenses (and mine were both cracked) and the headlight protecor filmn will help prevent this. My headlight protectors were tinted a light green and a different material than the window tints. I studied the recommended videos on window tint installation, got out my Heat gun and started on my clear front markers. They needed a little sanding to smooth the edges.

I tinted the driving lights and taht seemed to glue the lenses, but I do need replacements and I understand that the Gen3 lights are an upgrade so that'll be winter project.

With my soapy spray bottle, my scissors and my Heat Gun I tinted my headlights. Here's a pic during a cloudy day ...

Although the tint is light, it is obvious that the headlights have been tinted, the driving and marker lenses are not so obvious. I doubt that there will be any significant candlepower lost to the tint coating, but since I installed HIDs it wouldn't matter anyway. I love the HIDs!

A closer view ...

After installing tint I took a pic with the flash and the tint can't be seen ... except the other side of the car ...

I am really impressed with the look of the tint. Not too dark although it is enough to cut the brilliance of the chrome headlights during the day.

I also have the tint for the taillights and they're next! I'm expecting that the white and amber markers on the rear will be vastly improved after tinting.

Ted

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only a fool would tint his headlights , everything else is ok , but your headlights................. might as well take a hammer to em !:nono:

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only a fool would tint his headlights , everything else is ok , but your headlights................. might as well take a hammer to em !:nono:

Well thanks for your concern. Guess you forgot to READ? HIDs more than double the avaialbe light so if I would have used dark tint I would still have more than 50% extra light compared to a stock Viper.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted, I like it.
It looks just dark enough to take the brightness out of the parts, without hiding them or making them look covered. I have 3M clearbra on my headlights that is clear, but I also have a set in smoke. I like the dark look, but it is too dark and lowers light output. These look like they are just right.
The clear corners are a big improvement over the orange, tinted or not.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been considering tinting my headlights and foglights, so they match my tinted taillights and turnsignals.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I do clear corners I'm going to tint those, but I think I'm going to use the spray kind. I think I may tint my headlights just to piss Spray off :D

Mike, it was good seeing you this weekend...car should be up by the end of the week. We should get together!

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted:
The tint looks good. I like it! :2tu:

Consider me a fool then (smoked clearcoat):

100_1776.JPG

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a light tint set waiting to go on my headlights and fogs for a few months now.

Hey Steve..since I did my brake lights first...why don't you do your headlights first:D

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

The tint I used is called "Oracal - 8300 transparent cal".

Ted

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:looks great...subtle enough to make a difference...

I ordered a tint kit from "ilovemymotor" on ebay. I ordered the pre-cut sidewindow and rear hatch glass for my GTS. Then I asked them to send me headlight, driving light and taillight tints as well. I figure that really dark cars lose out to the brilliant chrome and glass of headlights and the Orange front marker lights look "out of place". Before ...

I purchased clear markers from ebay (once they went down to $36) as the start for tinting.

The tint is specially formulated for headlights and driving lights. It is recommended that Viper headlights be covered with a "headlight protector" film to stop the lenses from pitting and rock chips. The Gen 2 drving lights are suceptible to cracked lenses (and mine were both cracked) and the headlight protecor filmn will help prevent this. My headlight protectors were tinted a light green and a different material than the window tints. I studied the recommended videos on window tint installation, got out my Heat gun and started on my clear front markers. They needed a little sanding to smooth the edges.

I tinted the driving lights and taht seemed to glue the lenses, but I do need replacements and I understand that the Gen3 lights are an upgrade so that'll be winter project.

With my soapy spray bottle, my scissors and my Heat Gun I tinted my headlights. Here's a pic during a cloudy day ...

Although the tint is light, it is obvious that the headlights have been tinted, the driving and marker lenses are not so obvious. I doubt that there will be any significant candlepower lost to the tint coating, but since I installed HIDs it wouldn't matter anyway. I love the HIDs!

A closer view ...

After installing tint I took a pic with the flash and the tint can't be seen ... except the other side of the car ...

I am really impressed with the look of the tint. Not too dark although it is enough to cut the brilliance of the chrome headlights during the day.

I also have the tint for the taillights and they're next! I'm expecting that the white and amber markers on the rear will be vastly improved after tinting.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, but Plum the bra still works great after 49,000 miles. The headlight lenses were starting to show a few pits and I bought a new windshield (crack and pitted) this spring because of rock chips. Nose paint is still in good shape and I have griends that are repainting their fronts before they clicked past 20K on their odometers.

I took a pic of the headlights during sunshine to show how light the tint is ...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
were the headlights replaced too along with the windshield ?

i gotta get off my lazy butt and replace my sandblasted windshield...along with a bunch of other things i need to do on the car and around the house...lol

97 gts vettslayr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RTTTTed they look awesome! I would like to get mine done that same shade. I never drive mine at night or even if it's a slight possibility of rain so the darkness of the lights wouldn't effect me. I think the light shade is just enough to give it that awesome look. Not too dark, just right. Great job!

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plum, no headlight replacments, just windshield. Plastic headlight lenses are tougher than the glass. But, I used a razorblade to slice off the raised numbers etc. and fine wet sanded the lenses before applying the headlight protector tint.

gts vetteslayer, this light of a tint won't obstruct enough light to notice, but I recommend upgrading to HID headlight kit anyway as the difference is amazing. The slight bit of color in the tint seems to increase the reflections as much as adding color.

Leslie, I can't wait to see your car's pics next week! :)

All Blue ACR, sounds like you're ready for a trip to BC. Missed you at Harrison and Kelowna. Send me a PM if you want me to look for the clear marker lense seller's address.

Ted

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lights look great but the bra is hideous

That always perplexed me. Guys go to the trouble of changing something so minuscule as side lights but then put a big hideous fabric on the front. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I'd like to get some 100% clear protective mask for my headlights. After 119,000 miles they look pretty bad.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What level of tint did you use?

Since it's actually sprayed on, there isn't really a tint level in the traditional sense. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that it's didn't overly affect the performance of the lights. The lights are (obviously) not as bright at night but it's not to the point of being obnoxiously dark.

I had all the lenses on the rear done as well.

You should spray paint the windshield to complete the effect..............

And maybe look into shooting those rear view mirrors gloss black........

I'm picking up on your sarcasm... :D

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, and it's for sale if you're interested? Only 360,000kms. Good stereo.

I sold the wife's Escape so that is the only Non-Dodge left in the yard of 24 cars.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That always perplexed me. Guys go to the trouble of changing something so minuscule as side lights but then put a big hideous fabric on the front. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I'd like to get some 100% clear protective mask for my headlights. After 119,000 miles they look pretty bad.

Since I use a front bra for long trips the paint on my nose is still in good shape. The headlihgts have no bra and they were starting to show pits etc. Many of my friends that don't use a bra are reapinting their noses every 20,000mi. of less.

Not sure how good your headlights are going to look after the clear covers. I used a razor knife to removed the raised letters and numbers and sanded, then polished the headlight lenses. Maybe with a tint the pits would be hidden?

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
much sanding/polishing to clean up the headlights ? mine are sandblasted now....

Basically its like paint. Wetsand, wetsand and wetsand. After that you polish it.

Saw that one guy had started his GTS headlights in LA last time I was there. That was looking good.

I just wetsanded 800# on the worst headlight to get out scratches I had put in with razor (2nd headlight didn't need sanding.

You can buy a kit for polishing your headlights. I did some yellow headlights ten years ago and they came out almost perfectly clear again. Not much experience with sanding.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper