Stability Control and my 2009 SRT crash

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FerraritoViper,

You've really got to check something out here...if the dealer sold the car to you as "new" and installed runflats on it, you may have a case against them for putting a non spec tire on a vehicle tuned for the PS2's.

I'd double check that they are in fact runflats. If they are, you might be getting free repairs.

Good luck,
George

Found pics of his Wheels/Tires here: http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/629054-6-spoke-wheel-pic.html

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I crashed my 98 Viper GTS because it had RUN CRAPS on it. I know exactly what you're talking about when you say that it was out of control in milliseconds. My 98 had a 600rwhp/644rwtq Roe supercahrger engine and I short-shifted it into 3rd at 80mph (instead of 95) and the car went sideways faster than anyone could react. There was no going sideways, it was from straight to 90 degrees with an extra 20 mph instantly.

I wrote off my 98 GTS (with runcraps) when I hit offset puddles on the highway. Nothing could have saved that crash. Hit water, car lifted and went into highspeed donuts instantly from hydroplaning. I turned the steering wheel into the skid then back and forth - nothing. I stepped on and off the brakes - nothing. I stepped on the throttle and found zero traction. I turned off the key and waited for the stop. Semi drove over the front of my Viper and the truck driver got a broken wrist. Wife and I escaped without any bruising. No application of brakes from any nanny would have made any difference. If there would have been enough traction for a nanny - there would have been no crash.

My 01 has well over 700rwhp and over 800rwtq. I floored it once at 40mph in 4th gear and the car was backwards before I realized that it was starting to slide. It also picked up some mph and I was going completely backwards before I realized that it was slipping - instaneous. I fishtailed back and forth 6 times! I feel that any car other than the Viper would have spun donuts down the road until it carshed into something. The Viper had enough "STUFF" that I managed to get it to slide back and forth until I finally regained control. No nanny could have saved me from my own mistake. I will no longer do WOT in a higher gear than required. If your car has enough power to smoke the tires easily it has enough power to crash. I love my massively overpowered Viper.

The 98 AND '01 Vipers are the only cars I've ever managed to fishtail and get control back after sliding 90 degrees. I regained control after a 180 degree spin out! I'm more than 50 years old and driven pro street, 9, 10 and 11 second cars on the street ever since getting a driver's license.

Modified Vipers can lose control with the greatest of ease, but Vipers have more control that any other car on the road. THAT control is what makes it a Viper. Nannies would definitely be an improvement for nearly all drivers in the rain and TC would mean that no Viper would ever be able to drive in snow (forward movement requires spinning in snow).

As with everything, excellent handling also means an equal amount of caution is required.

And ... if anyone thinks the stock Viper NEEDS TC, then all us high hp guys that are still alive are equivalent to F1 drivers??? Not, but that would be an experience I'd like to try.

Ted

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought new at Dodge Dealer in Danbury, CT....trucked up from a dealer in Philadelphia with 20 miles on it May 09, as Chrysler could give no date on manufacture.

No, the dealer never said anything about the car, except that it was very fast. I have a 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena (coupe) Black over Rosa, factory ordered to my specs.

Yes, the F is a very high revver vs V...but honestly, I have nobody to blame but myself...I'm not a rookie. only had 1500 miles on it, but enough to know this is a dangerous ride. My whole point here, is that ESC is a must on the new Vipers, only for safety sake. It is always on unless to delibertly turn it off. As for the original Gen1/2 etc., owners that ship is out to sea...they are from another planet, and if I was one of them, I'd be right with them.

Month, Day, Hour. All on the VIN sticker on the door.

R&T certainly mentioned it in the article you read. (sorry, I couldn't resist, but the mags do go on about it)

Sorry for your loss, glad no one got hurt. Check those tires, somethings' not right. Maybe a picture would help settle this issue. I wouldn't rule out dealer #1 swapping out his run flats for new PS2s before it made it to dealer #2, or something like that.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the PS2s came out the Runcraps should have become obsolete and n/a. Something I'd check with JonB as he has some "pull" at Michelin.

Ted

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, glad to see you are o.k. and that you are still here to tell this story. Cars can be replaced, people can't. Secondly, provided the pics in post #61 are your car then those are PS2's. Now unless I missed it somewhere are your car went from one dealership to another and they did switch your tires, I would be going back to that dealership and saying you owe me one NEW VIPER that IS FACTORY SPEC. The '08/'09 vipers did not come with run flats. If the dealership told you it was a government regulation then for sure you have them on some kind of fraud I would think.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The suspension of the 08 and 09 was/is tuned at the factory to use the PS2's. If the dealer delivered your 09 to you with run flats, it means your suspension and tire combined performance was not up to spec. It also may mean the run flats may have not been used but could have been old, hard tires. If the car was still very new with few miles on it when the incident happened, the adaptives had not had enough time to adjust to your driving style. So, the answer to your mystery may be a combination of the above.

As someone said above, please check your tires and report back. If they are run flats, you have been defrauded by the dealer. And their fraud, which resulted in a subpar suspension/tire combination performance may have significantly contributed to what occurred. If so, your insurance company will want to know about it for the purpose of trying to recover some of their loss from the dealer. This also might reduce the amount of any premium increase you experience as a result of the accident.

If the tires were PS2's, and the car was very new before the adaptives adjusted to your driving style, I think the poster above who mentioned the fly by wire throttle effect is probably correct. When I first got my 2008 SRT8 Jeep back in 2007, before the adaptives picked up my driving style, I backed out of my driveway. I then tapped the accelerator thinking the gas would simultaneously kick in. There was a milisecond delay and I was not straight when the gas kicked in. It also kicked in in a more robust fashion than expected. The rear end came around about 20 degrees. I immediately called my SRT guru and asked what the deal was. He told me that it would rapidly improve and not be a problem after driving the car for 200 or so more miles. He was right. I had read the owner's manual and there was no warning of this phenomenon. There probably should be a warning that until the car adjusts to the driver's driving style, the driver should be cautious about the spirited use of the gas even at low speed. I do not think that stability control would have done anything for you under the circumstances you describe.

Last edited:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, you bought a car with no research--not even a magazine article, had never driven one, took it sight unseen, the dealer "didn't say anything" about it being so powerful, you "assumed it had TC", had driven it 1500 miles without noticing it didn't, and aren't sure if you have run-flats or PS2's?

:eater::eater::eater::eater:

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
30 mph or 130 mph it can happen in a nano second in a Viper. With the torque, short wheel base, a little bit of sand or dust or leaves etc on the road, tires and or road colder than normal, older rubber with a harder durometer, pavement damp, ruts in the pavement or being a little wash board is enough to upset the Viper and if you’re not paying attention at that exact nano second she will bite you. It happens to the best of us. Most of us who drive our cars have come close to losing it one way or another. Most of the time we get a good eye opener and we were able to correct it or least luck out and ride it out and not incur any damage. I did read at one time “There are those who have been bitten and there are those who will be bitten” and I do believe there is a lot of truth to that and that most of us have had a good scare one way or another and we did not incur any damage. Of course I’m referring to those of us who drive it and not those who are into using it strictly for the odd Show and Shine.

Then there are those who will insist they are perfect, can’t believe it could happen at 30 mph and it only happens to the less intelligent. Those are the guys I really worry about on the road.

The Viper is a hands on car; it needs to be driven with both hands, eyes and treated like a women and respected. On long trips it can be fatiguing as you can’t relax at all. Probably one of the reasons you can’t get Cruise from the factory as there would be a lot more accidents with this car if it came with Cruise.

I hate being regulated and being told what to do. But as we age we do gain a little more common sense in most cases and in the case of having it would not hurt. Turn it off when you don’t want it and for the extra security leave it on for a little extra protection. No different than a seat belt, an air bag or the anti lock brakes. It won’t hurt and might even save a life.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going with TrackAire on this one.

I have 35,000 miles in my Gen3 and a couple of track runs and autocrosses. The car is solid with run flats too!

61,000 miles in a Gen1 and numerous events.

With that said, I spun a 08 at the Zone event in vegas on the autocross. The car felt strange with the laggy pedal. In my 10+ years of driving these cars that has been my only surprise.....Thank the big man up stairs!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Turn it off when you don’t want it and for the extra security leave it on for a little extra protection. No different than a seat belt, an air bag or the anti lock brakes. It won’t hurt and might even save a life. "

I have to disagree with this statement. Since the TC and ECS ruin the car's handling and performance I don't want it. I also don't believe that a nanny is an improvement unless it wins on the track. The extra $5-10,000 for another computer driven (I hate computers) addition to my car is a no no. Most nannies DON'T turn off, or turn off completely. My 08 dodge pickup doesn't even have a switch to turn ECS off.

Although they MIGHT help sometimes, they don't help all the time and when it's my money I'd rather buy a Viper with NO nannies than a Challenger with nannies for the same price.

I figure I have a Guardian Angel and can quote my Viper/Semi Head-on collison as proof. Some loser waited until I was commited and then turned left in front of my ZX11 causing an accident. Nanny wouldn't have stopped that driver from pulling out in front of me. Nannies are a waste of money. I believe that if it's time to die - you will and nannies won't help.

Ted

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point of information:

All Gen 4 Vipers come with a cute little black kit with something called tire sealant and something that plugs into a cigarette lighter to inflate tires with a round gage on-top to check pressure instead of run flats or a spare tire.....

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lot of crappy replies here.

A guy makes a mistake with a car that he probably loved very much. Posts about his mistake, perhaps in effort to learn from his mistake as well as educate others only to get harassed.

WHEN I have a learning experience in my car, I'll be sure not to post here in effort to help others not make the same mistake as I'm sure after such an experience the last thing I could take is more negativity when the car I love so much has had some sort of accident.

Sorry to hear about your car RCK. Glad to hear your ok. Keep us updated with what you find and learn from this experience. Best of luck with your future viper experiences.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree 100% with this. Lifting the throttle might unsettle the car and make a bad situation worse. It's on a case-by-case basis.

I was driving in heavy rain at 60mph when the back end hydroplaned completely and just wanted to swap ends. Had I lifted the throttle, it would have. Instead I stayed on the gas and counter-steered so rapidly and subconsciously that I totally felt I was in Formula1. The tires gripped with such a viscous bite that I could swear I hit the car in the next lane. Mind you, I was somewhere around 30 degrees off the straight line. All this happened in less than a second. I stopped to inspect whether I did hit anyone but there was no damage. To this day, that jolt when the tires bit in is vividly etched in my brain.

BTW, the hydroplaning was caused by tires that had almost become slicks. :rolleyes: And since I don't race, I do attribute my subconscious counter-steering to practising donuts and slides in wet parking lots.

+1

I have to disagree with you! I have made hundreds of passes in every type of car there is and when they get loose you lift immediately and you rarely ever have a problem. I also agree with 9 ball that it is this mistake (not lifting) that cause all these spinouts and subsequent accidents.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you! I have made hundreds of passes in every type of car there is and when they get loose you lift immediately and you rarely ever have a problem. I also agree with 9 ball that it is this mistake (not lifting) that cause all these spinouts and subsequent accidents.

On a drag strip where the car and the road are pointed mostly straight it makes sense to lift to regain control of the car, I've done this myself when the my car started to get loose on the strip, but on a real road (or a road course) that is not straight lifting can cause you to go around. The sudden removal of throttle input will transfer weight to the front of the car causing the front tires to suddenly bite while it removes weight from the rear causing them to further lose traction. The result you spin. Every advanced driving school I've been to teaches you not to be abrupt on any throttle inputs. Lifting does generally help if you are understeering but if you are oversteering then throttle inputs need to be subtle. In this case his car came around in milliseconds, I doubt he could have done much at this point.

It is true that not lifting can also cause you to go around. As was posted before each situation is different. The original poster, I believe, has already posted that the road was not straight. None of us were in that car that day so its not fair to the original poster to say he should have done this or that. Could be anyone here might have crashed under the same circumstances.

Nannys may have helped though because they might have throttled the car back as the rears were starting to lose grip. They may have prevented the spin in the first place although if they suddenly kicked in after the car was already spinning they would not have saved it either. Truth is the computer could detect the slip milliseconds sooner than you could and would have started to react sooner maybe saving your a$$ before you even knew it needed saving.

I want to emphasis though that I only support TC/Stability control if it can be turned completely off by the driver. Because there are times when I'd rather be in complete control of the car. I also do not believe the addition of these controls would add any weight or cost to speak of. Most of these controls became possible after the addition of ABS. Since the Viper already has this the additional yaw sensors and computer software (especially since Dodge has it on their other cars) would not be expensive IMO.

Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread, it takes guts to put this topic out there and admit you crashed a Viper. However, it can happen to anyone I don't care how good you are. Watch F1 or Nascar and you'll see that even the best drivers crash sometimes. Heck I even remember one race where one of these pros hit the pace car during a yellow.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point of information:

All Gen 4 Vipers come with a cute little black kit with something called tire sealant and something that plugs into a cigarette lighter to inflate tires with a round gage on-top to check pressure instead of run flats or a spare tire.....

Well, not every gen IV. Just to be picky, ********'s do not.

Here's more irony. Almost all the veterans say, in response to this story, "go spend some track time". And NOT lifting is exactly what they teach you in those DE's. And the same guys then throw confusion into the *** by saying lift when you start to spin. So, what you are really saying, is that DE's are bad for you?

Lot of crappy replies here.

A guy makes a mistake with a car that he probably loved very much. Posts about his mistake, perhaps in effort to learn from his mistake as well as educate others only to get harassed.

WHEN I have a learning experience in my car, I'll be sure not to post here in effort to help others not make the same mistake...

Here's the irony of this whole thread, and the whole argument from tech-haters. Every one of the posters who has argued about keeping the Viper a "purists" car, devoid of driver aids, has a similar story to tell. Almost everyone says how the back end has come around "in a millisecond" or "totally unexpected". Yes, the car deserves respect, and yes knowing how to handle the backlash is an important part of learning to drive. And there are a number of people who can handle that kind of sudden torque in a rear wheel drive car and think nothing of it but that it's a thrill, even a big part of why you bought the car. But not every one of you can handle every situation, even you all admit that.

So, nobody's business but yours, right? It's your $60-100k car after all. Just don't whine about it when your insurance drops you, you lose your legs, the passenger riding with you dies, or you run over some kid on the curb minding their own business. Especially don't whine about it when you get sued--rightfully--after all it was your choice. The poster above even says WHEN this happens, not IF.

Now there's many of you, myself included, who accept this liability as part of the joy and freedom that comes with driving a Viper. We can modify this risk by driving responsibly on the street, paying attention to road and tire conditions, using the track for the real heavy-footed stuff, and really LEARNING TO DRIVE. But the population of "purists" is shrinking. Not to beat up on Ferrari-to-Viper but, well, case in point. Here's a guy with a Modena who buys a 600HP rear-wheel car with no research beforehand! Sorry, but you said you wanted it to be a learning experience and here's the bigger lesson. FTV is the new buyer; the Chuck's, Warfang's, Jamie's, Janni's, Dave's, and MYSELF, are a shrinking pool of potential new or repeat buyers. This was the point of my earlier posts in the other thread. Not that I like Nanny Tech, just that eventually Dodge would need it if it were to keep the marquee alive. You can't do that by selling cars to a shrinking population, otherwise the Viper becomes the Cadillac of the high performance crowd.

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's an 09 Viper than it does not have run flats from the factory.... this has been covered many times, the engineers retuned the suspension for the PS2 tires. Only two tires come from the factory on 08/09 Vipers - PS2s and Pilot Sport Cups(PSC)

Huge apology on the tires The auto body shop told me over phone they were run flats, and I should replace them with PS2's....and I took there word for it. At your suggestion I rechecked. Sidewalls say Michelin Pilot Sport, Radial X, PS...sorry!

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you noticed on the Mercedes that even when the stability control is "off" the system still intervenes if you push the car hard. I never liked that about my E55 AMG. The best stability control system I have used was a Porsche 911, I always felt the system worked but was not overly intrusive. Also AWD cars make a fun alternative to stability control in my opinion, especially in rain/snow/ice conditions.

-David

Going into my second winter with the car, and I've never turned the ESP off. It works impressively well when the rear slides in the snow.

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FerraritoViper,

You've really got to check something out here...if the dealer sold the car to you as "new" and installed runflats on it, you may have a case against them for putting a non spec tire on a vehicle tuned for the PS2's.

I'd double check that they are in fact runflats. If they are, you might be getting free repairs.

Good luck,
George

Very sorry on the tire mistake. Please see my above explanation and correction.

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, glad to see you are o.k. and that you are still here to tell this story. Cars can be replaced, people can't. Secondly, provided the pics in post #61 are your car then those are PS2's. Now unless I missed it somewhere are your car went from one dealership to another and they did switch your tires, I would be going back to that dealership and saying you owe me one NEW VIPER that IS FACTORY SPEC. The '08/'09 vipers did not come with run flats. If the dealership told you it was a government regulation then for sure you have them on some kind of fraud I would think.

REALLY sorry again, see my above reply posts. The auto body shop gave me bad scoop, etc.

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, you bought a car with no research--not even a magazine article, had never driven one, took it sight unseen, the dealer "didn't say anything" about it being so powerful, you "assumed it had TC", had driven it 1500 miles without noticing it didn't, and aren't sure if you have run-flats or PS2's?

:eater::eater::eater::eater:

M-m-m-...As stated previously, I did read a R&T review (road and track mag)an I did say the dealer said it was a 'powerful car'. I did say it only had 1500 miles at accident...I did not say I only noticed it then. Found it out almost immediately behind the wheel, and have previously acknowledged my stupidity. As for my rush to buy...I'm impulsive about buying anything. Did the same thing with the Ferrari...however the dealer had several 2003's, and I test drove it. Dealers in southern NY/CT area don't have Vipers on their lots. As for the tires, see above.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen your above post now. Sorry for the multiple posts on the tires. QUOTE=ferraritoviper;2750319]REALLY sorry again, see my above reply posts. The auto body shop gave me bad scoop, etc.[/QUOTE]

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say that Ferraritoviper is quite a "stand-up" guy. He could have taken all the "criticism" here and told us all what we could do with it. Instead, remarkably, he's taken the opposite attitude and virtually apologized for his mistakes. That speaks a great deal about him! :2tu: Quite impressive to me!

Driving schools are an excellent means of learning the capabilities of tire adhesion, however it's a damn shame how few schools allow you to use a Viper. Without having your Viper on a track (or parking lot) in a controlled environment with room for error(s), you just can't really get the feel of a Viper ESPECIALLY at relatively low RPM. Opening the throttle in an F360 in second gear below 4,000RPM is teaches you absolutely nothing compared to a Viper. In fact, what it will teach you is exactly the opposite of what you should expect. As others have mentioned, even an engaged control system may not have helped you. If you think about it, in the typical situation where you would be most inclined to "punch" the throttle, you'd likely NOT want to have a granny turned on...for a better "show".

Lastly, F2V, you need to join the VCA and spend some time with Viper owners and drivers. A few hours on a track in your Viper will do wonders.

Sorry for your expensive mistake and thanks for being such a good sport!

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the dealer never said anything about the car, except that it was very fast. I have a 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena (coupe) Black over Rosa, factory ordered to my specs.

Just as an FYI to all the Viper "Throttle by wire" comments... The 360 Modena's have been throttle by wire since their inception. If FTV had experience driving the Ferrari (which he pointed out he did) then I would say that he knew how to modulate the pedal on a Fly by Wire vehicle.

That being said it ***** to wreck a car but I'm still not in favor of traction control.

Sorry for your loss.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say that Ferraritoviper is quite a "stand-up" guy. He could have taken all the "criticism" here and told us all what we could do with it. Instead, remarkably, he's taken the opposite attitude and virtually apologized for his mistakes. That speaks a great deal about him! :2tu: Quite impressive to me!
I noticed that too City. He seems impervious to the punishment being dished out. Me likey! :2tu: RCK, I sent you a PM. It's the flashing envelope next to your login handle.

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Driving schools are an excellent means of learning the capabilities of tire adhesion, however it's a damn shame how few schools allow you to use a Viper. Without having your Viper on a track (or parking lot) in a controlled environment with room for error(s), you just can't really get the feel of a Viper ESPECIALLY at relatively low RPM. Opening the throttle in an F360 in second gear below 4,000RPM is teaches you absolutely nothing compared to a Viper. In fact, what it will teach you is exactly the opposite of what you should expect. As others have mentioned, even an engaged control system may not have helped you. If you think about it, in the typical situation where you would be most inclined to "punch" the throttle, you'd likely NOT want to have a granny turned on...for a better "show".

Lastly, F2V, you need to join the VCA and spend some time with Viper owners and drivers. A few hours on a track in your Viper will do wonders.

Sorry for your expensive mistake and thanks for being such a good sport!

Thanks City...Manhattan is close by to me (Ridgefield, CT). Will you be at the Pound Ridge, NY show this Sat? You are very kind...I'm sure you learned a long time ago, like me, that you treat people the way you like to be treated. BTW, I am a VCA member!!! I registered my VCA member number my Viper VIN number back in May in the appropriate place on the control boards, pressed save...and I'm still listed as an enthusiast. I have also previously posted pics here. Is there a max # of kb's you can upload here...I tired 5 compressed pics, about 3ookb's each. You can email to me at [email protected] and I'll send you my pics for posting here...or you can find them on ViperAlley by 'ferrariguy' under two recent threads by me 'learned the hard way'...Meanwhile:

Good news, my Beautiful Hot Red Viper is saved! Insurance settled with Indial Auto Collision (Katonah, NY, recommended by Chuck Tator) at $53k. I will have my act together the 2nd time around. Again, thanks for all the well wishes and general valued input...however, there will be a switchable tuned ESC controller in my repaired Vipers immediate future :)

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You lost control of a Viper at 30 mph? Hopefully it was raining. I'd be embarrassed to post that. Invest in a good performance driving school ;)
vipers can easily loose control at 30-50 mph low speeds ,if tires were cold,or a certain type of patch on the road,it could happen to the best drivers out there,glad no one was hurt,glad it wasnt at 150 mph.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks City...Manhattan is close by to me (Ridgefield, CT). Will you be at the Pound Ridge, NY show this Sat? You are very kind...I'm sure you learned a long time ago, like me, that you treat people the way you like to be treated. BTW, I am a VCA member!!! I registered my VCA member number my Viper VIN number back in May in the appropriate place on the control boards, pressed save...and I'm still listed as an enthusiast. I have also previously posted pics here. Is there a max # of kb's you can upload here...I tired 5 compressed pics, about 3ookb's each. You can email to me at [email protected] and I'll send you my pics for posting here...or you can find them on ViperAlley by 'ferrariguy' under two recent threads by me 'learned the hard way'...Meanwhile:

Good news, my Beautiful Hot Red Viper is saved! Insurance settled with Indial Auto Collision (Katonah, NY, recommended by Chuck Tator) at $53k. I will have my act together the 2nd time around. Again, thanks for all the well wishes and general valued input...however, there will be a switchable tuned ESC controller in my repaired Vipers immediate future :)

Let those of us that aren't radically opposed to TC/ESC what know system you will use. I've got the Race Logic system but its not dialed in yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth