Going looking….my concerns

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I’m going to look at a o4 vert this weekend with 20k miles. I believe it has the original tires? What does a new set of tires cost and what type would you recommend? I’m going to have a carfax done and have the dealer run vin for history as well. One concern is that the owner is the 3rd owner? Is this a concern? The other I wish it had lower miles on it….thoughts….

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amount of owners isn't a sign of something wrong when it comes to these cars usually. I am the third owner on my RT/10 and it had 4200 miles on it when I bought it in July of '05. It's a 2001. I believe I was the fourth owner on my ACR and it had about 10k on it when I bought it. It was a 2001 as well. Some poeple just buy the car and drive it for a while and either get tired of it and want something different or need to sell it for other reasons.

As most will tell you see if you can find a viper tech in you area and have them check it out for you befor you sign on the dotted line. As far as the tires go. I would get them replaced for sure if they are the originals. PS2's would be my suggestion. Anywhere from $1,500-$2,000k you are looking at.
Hello, I’m going to look at a o4 vert this weekend with 20k miles. I believe it has the original tires? What does a new set of tires cost and what type would you recommend? I’m going to have a carfax done and have the dealer run vin for history as well. One concern is that the owner is the 3rd owner? Is this a concern? The other I wish it had lower miles on it….thoughts….

Reaction score
Check all the fluids, especially the brake and clutch, diff if you can, they will indicate the level of care the car has had. To change all the fluids will run $$$ also so take these two things into consideration while shopping. Most people will not spend the money to do this right before they sell so you should get good feed back from looking. 20K check brakes also pads and rotors are not cheap.

Check under the front nose for heavy scrapes or damage and if there are thoroughly look at the fascia support for damage this can get VERY expensive to repair.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figure $2K for a set of PS2's.

See what's on the car. With 20G miles, one of the former owners may well have already realized how poorly the OE run flats were and upgraded to PS2's (Mich pilot sport 2).

Dave's pricing is a bit high.
The fronts: 275/35ZR18 should go for under $700
The rears:345/30ZR19 should go for under $940

Total should be around $1,600

Call JonB and I'm sure he'll hook you up...maybe even better.

Last edited:

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck with the search/buy Whosnext!

I dont mean to hijack, but could someone explain what's so wrong with the stock tires on the Gen III cars? Everywhere I read it's "replace those run flats asap", but I don't know WHY they should be replaced. Thanks!
Mark

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I’m going to look at a o4 vert this weekend with 20k miles.... The other I wish it had lower miles on it….thoughts….

will you drive it or garage queen it?

if you driver it the mileage is fine

if you will only weekend it sometimes, a lower mileage will sell easier later (others will have your same desire)

seems like once you cross 20k, then 30 k the car is assumed to be in the driver class

go slow at 1st, don't punch the go pedal until you know the car - smooth = less chance for snake bite

enjoy

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great info....also car is all stock except for Borla exhaust and tinted windows...how loud is the borla exhaust?