Is getting a Viper for me a really good idea?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only a few things I can add to the advice you've already gotten here. The Viper IS really an easy car to drive, and an easy car to drive fast. However, the learning curve is steep, and a little fear is a healthy thing as it will keep you alive and your Snake in one piece. Some tips:

(1) Go to a good driving school (preferably before you get your Viper, but in any case, GO!) You will learn a lot of very important skills, and have a much better understanding of vehicle dynamics as a result; that will make your driving experience with a Viper both safer and more fun.

(2) Tires, Tires, TIRES! If you get a used Viper, it may very well have older or mismatched tires. No matter how good the tread looks, DO NOT DRIVE ON OLD OR MISMATCHED TIRES, EVER! You can check the age of a tire by the tire identification number (the one that begins with"DOT". (Tire Rack's web site has the info on how to do this) . If the tires are more than 3 years old, CHANGE THEM. If the tread wear looks uneven, CHANGE THEM. If They are not all the same type, CHANGE THEM. If they are runflats, CHANGE THEM. If you are not sure, CHANGE THEM. You should budget the cost of a new, properly matched set of tires into what you plan to spend on the car. If this seems excessively cautious, just remember that those four contact patches, (smaller than your own feet and hands), are the only thing holding your Viper, (and you), to the road. If they don't stick, bad things happen. Seriously! BTW, I DO NOT sell tires, or work for anyone who does, so this ain't about money, it's about your safety, and that of others. Read it and believe it!

(3) In conjunction with (2) above, make sure your tires are warmed up, before doing anything enthusiastic with the throttle. This will take longer in cooler weather. Also note that most of the excellent tires we have for the Viper are NOT recommended below 40F. The compound gets harder and slicker in cold temperatures. Either change to a tire rated for colder temps, or park it! Most of us do the latter. Know the outside temp before you drive, AND the expected temp for your return. When in doubt, drive something else!

(4) FOCUS! A Viper demands your full attention, both on the track, and on the street. Do not talk on a cell phone, eat, or smoke, while driving. Be aware that because of those massive front tires, a Viper will bump steer and follow grooves on rough pavement. This is not ordinarily a serious problem, IF you are paying attention.

(5) Do NOT play in a Viper on public roads! It may not seem that way, but the street is a far more dangerous environment than the track! There are simply too many variables you cannot control, many of which come up with little to no warning. Adjust your driving accordingly. The place to explore the limits (yours and the car's) is in a closed, controlled environment.

(6) In conjunction with that last comment, the last place, THE VERY LAST PLACE, for any sort of showing off, is in the cockpit of a Viper! When you get in and shut the door, make sure your brain is engaged, and your ego parked outside the car, before you buckle up and push the red button. Certain other drivers (read idiots!) do nutty things around a Viper. DO NOT respond to this with anything more with a rev and a wave, EVER! The risks are NOT worth it; it's not worth your life (or someone else's), not worth losing your license, not worth wrecking your Snake! Our car has NOTHING to prove, to anyone! WE have nothing to prove, to anyone, except that we can drive it safely and smoothly! If you feel YOU have something to prove (to yourself or anyone else), take it to a sanctioned competitive venue: the track, the drag strip, or the autocross course.

(7) We are all proud of our cars. Don't let this lead you to act like a ****. Do NOT antagonize other drivers on the street. Don't tempt idiots into doing something rash (they will do enough of that without any help from you!). If you're going to be part of the VIPER Nation, be an ambassador for it. Be courteous, be friendly, be safe. Acknowledge the other guy's ride (he's proud of it too, even though it's not a Viper). This does not say you're a ninnie; what it says is that you have the skills, the self control, the self-confidence and the maturity to be responsible with 500-600hp.

With that in mind, go find the Viper of your choice, drive safely and enjoy it!:drive:

Excellent write up. I spoke to Erich Heuschle about the Viper a few times. He's an SRT vehicle dynamics engineer. He said that they don't even let their engineers drive the Viper when its cold out. They kept crashing them because the tires **** when its cold.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NoVaViper,
Thanks! Glad to do it, and I hope it helps you. That was a distillation of some knowledge/experience I and others here have picked up over the years. It used to be that most of us who got into the Viper came from a background of driving muscle cars, sports cars, or both; now, more and more are coming from a different automotive background...and that's OK. Whatever our individual background was, though, every one of us here was a Viper newbie at some point. Most of us made the transition without serious incident, in large part because we got some good advice, either here, or elsewhere; it seems only right to pass that on, along with whatever we've learned since. Some one-time newbies are now advanced competitive drivers; some are now instructors at HPDE's. Maybe one day, you'll reach that level too; in the meantime, we want you to enjoy the car, and we want you to be safe. Just remember that there's always something to learn, and plenty of people willing to help. The only thing dumber than a "dumb question" is not asking in the first place.

When you find that Viper you want (and you will) you'll also find out what I meant about the Viper Nation. Maybe it's because there are relatively few of us, maybe it's because it takes a special type of individual to have a passion for a car that simply is not for everyone. Whatever it is, there's a camaraderie among Viper owners/drivers that's simply different, and special. We may fight like cats and dogs here, arguing the merits of this or that, but at the end of the day, we're all on the same team, we're here for each other, and we support each other. When you get your Viper, join the VCA, and get involved with the activities of your local region. There's something there for everyone, whether it's learning, or competition, or just making new friends and meeting some great people along the way.

Now, go out and find that special Snake (the one with your name on it). You'll know it when you find it, and when you do, I look forward to seeing that "enthusiast" tag below your screen name change to "Viper Owner" and then to "VCA Member"!:drive:
P.S. Don't for get to look at the "Keeping new Viper owners SAFE -a how-to" thread for additional safety tips. You can find this in the "General Viper Discussion" forum.

Last edited:

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper was truely my first car, had a little 4 ****** truck and a couple of sport bikes prior but the Viper was the first car. I learned operating a manul on the bikes and learned a lot of respect for power and control with the bikes. For me, transition to the Viper was pretty smooth and a great thrill. Getting it out to the track was an even bigger thrill.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I'm adopting this page of the internet for me and my Viper stories until I can actually say I've purchased one, I did see a yellow with black striped Gen 2 Viper in Reston, VA yesterday. It had a the sickest exhaust ever! I really don't know if Vipers naturally have a really loud exhaust but this car had me drooling that's for sure. The echo it had off the surrounding buildings made it that much more impressive to me.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I'm adopting this page of the internet for me and my Viper stories until I can actually say I've purchased one, I did see a yellow with black striped Gen 2 Viper in Reston, VA yesterday. It had a the sickest exhaust ever! I really don't know if Vipers naturally have a really loud exhaust but this car had me drooling that's for sure. The echo it had off the surrounding buildings made it that much more impressive to me.

It's a bit suprising someone would be out in a viper in weather like that. Was this one for sale or just out enjoying the rain? :cool: Stock vipers aren't very loud. It probably had an aftermartket exhaust sys.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As said previously, it's the self proffessed 'experts' that crash Vipers. True there are some accidents once in a while, but there's not many of them.

My sc'd Viper was one of my daughter's first standard driving experience. Not prone to panic and scared S-less makes for a safe ride.

Learning a 4 speed is simple as most people with a Driver's License know how to drive a stick. Other than Hill starting a standard takes about 15 minutes to learn. After that everything is merely "getting used to it."

Ted

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a bit suprising someone would be out in a viper in weather like that. Was this one for sale or just out enjoying the rain? :cool: Stock vipers aren't very loud. It probably had an aftermartket exhaust sys.

Hmm... it was monday midday, there was no rain, in reston it was actually quiet beautiful.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That exhaust was likely headers and a cat-back system, possibly with high-flow cats. Those can be pretty loud; the stock system is relatively quiet. I guess the rain didn't make it up your way 'til yesterday. Keep looking; you'll find the right one.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the Viper would be a great car to learn to drive stick on. It has so much torque it's nearly impossible to stall the thing.

The danger that comes with the Viper isn't the clutch. It's what you do with the throttle. If you can hold back and take it easy until you know what the car can do, you'll be fine. If you get a wild hair and want to push it before you are competent, you'll be talking to the insurance company soon.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NoVaViper, just stumbled across this post. A lot of good information on this post. If you need any help locally, let me know. Good luck in your search. I also think you being concerned regarding being able to handle the car is a good thing. It's pretty staggering how many stories are out there regarding new to farily new owners who get "snake-bit."

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then I stumbled upon this from the same dealer and wonder who this dealer thinks he's lying to and what he's going to lie about with the 2004. Am I being too harsh on this guy for him calling it an ACR?

Any suggestions?

NEVER believe ANYTHING a used car DEALER/SALESMAN/SELLER says, and you won't have a problem.

The car should speak for itself. (with a good mechanic there to listen to it.)

This dealer will say that the title of the ad is just an abbreviated headline to catch attention. In the ad he says "ACR look' and says ACR hood. Nothing about the car looks very much like an ACR; so, he would say that he thought that he was not misrepresenting the car, and I think that he is right. He is just trying to go with what the person who was customizing the car might have wanted it to look like.

Unless you stick with the few recommended dealers on this site, just make your judgement based on a good, independent, pre-purchase inspection.

That 2004 looks like a very good price if the car is in good shape.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start slow and become accustomed to the car. Then if you want to push it, start easy (below your threshold) and go from there. Do not attempt anything that you feel is above your limit.
Treat rain like snow.

My fiancee' has driven my ACR a few times. Before that, I can count on one hand the amount of times she had driven a manual.

The Viper is pretty easy to learn on with all the torque down low. You can actually leave from a stand-still without touching the throttle.

Nick

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned manual transmission cars my whole life. I learned to drive on one. While I wouldn't recommend a Viper to learn on, I will say that the clutch/transmission in the Viper is pretty forgiving. I have driven other cars that were more difficult or finicky than the Viper.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead for only one reason, I finally purchased a Viper last weekend, and I'll have to say two things.. I have a lot of questions on how it handles or supposed to handle, but after my first drive home with the car, I realized the car is just nuts and bolts, and there's no need to do stupid **** in the car because just being in the car feels absolutely amazing to me.

I'll open up a new post in the regional spot after I'm a member, but I just wanted to tell someone who may be a little apprehensive about the car, don't act foolish and you'll probably be all right. That's all for now.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on finally pulling the trigger! What did you buy?

Listen to the advice many have offered regarding tires. And then act on that advice.

Post some pics when you have time.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a long search, congrats on finally getting one!

It's time for some pictures!!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, funny you brought back this thread. I assume you got the viper your really wanted given the two year search/thought process.

Congrats!

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead for only one reason, I finally purchased a Viper last weekend, and I'll have to say two things.. I have a lot of questions on how it handles or supposed to handle, but after my first drive home with the car, I realized the car is just nuts and bolts, and there's no need to do stupid **** in the car because just being in the car feels absolutely amazing to me.

I'll open up a new post in the regional spot after I'm a member, but I just wanted to tell someone who may be a little apprehensive about the car, don't act foolish and you'll probably be all right. That's all for now.

I just brought my first Viper back in August. I went to MO to pick it up and drive it back to Maryland. It was the first time driving a manual shift car in about 15 years. I spent two days with the dealership and they took me to an open area for test driving. I must say at first this car Intimidated the hell out of me. When I started to drive her back to Maryland I took it slow and stayed in the right hand lane for about the first 35 miles. After a while I started gaining more and more confidence in handling this beast. I love the hell out of this car. You just have to respect the power of this beast. Good luck.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to the OP! What did you get, I assaume a Gen III?

I'm sure you are pumped about your decision - post pics!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, first of all, I did look long and hard, near and far, but I found a relatively inexpensive '03 with only very minor issues (based upon the Viper tech that looked at it) black on black convertible with a 4th gen hood. It's exactly what I wanted as a first Viper. I love this car! My biggest complaint right now is the weather... can we please bring on this "global warming" so that I can drive it longer throughout the year? Let me look up some threads about posting pictures and i'll do just that.

I've owned the charger srt8, the new camaro ss, and other fun cars, but this one is awesome!! I started getting a little cautious about posting here because of all the "playful bashing" that went on here, but i'll put my ear back to the pavement and see if anythings changed around here. Besides I need intelligent people to teach me about my car. And for now you're all I got :D, that's all for now.