Is getting a Viper for me a really good idea?

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
side note: last year, I bought the 2011 Camaro SS because I wanted a fresh clutch to learn how to drive on. I subsequently sold it when I felt like I got the hang of it. Fairly similar, but as has been said a lot while i've been re-reading this thread, it's really difficult to stall this car. I've only done it once while parallel parking.. f'n DC neighborhoods.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had never owned a Viper before buying my 2008 ACR, yes I have owned Z06's and have a ZR1; but, the Viper is totally different.

You just have to be super careful until you figure out how to drive it. I don't think some of who have wrecked theirs knew how quickly they could get a way from you. I
got bit once early on (no wreck) and determined quickly this car is nothing like any I have owned before. I do have fun driving it; but, know the limits on the street.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the awesome words of encouragement! Here is a picture of the car. I was reading those "how to post pics" threads and they make it seem a lot more involved than it is. Click on the icon for a picture and upload. Not too hard.

You must be registered for see images attach

I like that picture a lot. It sure would be nicer if the streets weren't cluttered with leaves!! It's a 2003, but I can live with that. However, not even to my first car payment and the car is all ready giving me a headache.

Last edited:

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the awesome words of encouragement! Here is a picture of the car. I was reading those "how to post pics" threads and they make it seem a lot more involved than it is. Click on the icon for a picture and upload. Not too hard.

I like that picture a lot. It sure would be nicer if the streets weren't cluttered with leaves!! It's a 2003, but I can live with that. However, not even to my first car payment and the car is all ready giving me a headache.

Uh...What is wrong with the Viper that is giving you a headache?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:feedback: headache??

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so much to learn about this new car. I've been browsing these search engines all day between here and "the other site" looking up specs on the engine. Recommendations for stock replacements of certain components due to mileage of the vehicle (25,000 miles) how the engine works compared to a V8. I was reading up on Wikipedia (of all things, come on, you've got to give it credit, it's cleaning up its act). Anywhere I could find information about this car, I've been reading. It was a slow day at work, so just like the internet, you poke your finger around a rusty hole of knowledge and it just keeps getting bigger.
I've learned to despise some threads on here because it'll start off "i have this code what do i do" or "i've been thinking about doing this, what do you recommend" and before I know I'm fully involved in the conversation, just to find out it just stops cold with no post for years with no resolution.
I stumbled upon someone saying they had the tech manual and would email it to so and so but I lost the thread :( I don't want to risk breaking the car worse by doing my own work, but I'm definitely interested in things like cylinder fire order, cylinder orientation, location of all the basic sensors such as the cam sensor which appears to be broken in a lot of these threads when I look for it. It's fun, but it's giving me a headache.
Other things like, It came with an SCT tuner, so now I'm thinking, what was the new tune, should i go back to the factory tune, is that possible to do? How rich or lean is it running now.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get yourself a factory manual :) That's a good start, then anything else you want to know, just ask questions on the forums ;) Well done on the purchase of your new Snake :2tu:

Oh, I can vouch for this bit of info,

(3) In conjunction with (2) above, make sure your tires are warmed up, before doing anything enthusiastic with the throttle. This will take longer in cooler weather. Also note that most of the excellent tires we have for the Viper are NOT recommended below 40F. The compound gets harder and slicker in cold temperatures. Either change to a tire rated for colder temps, or park it! Most of us do the latter. Know the outside temp before you drive, AND the expected temp for your return. When in doubt, drive something else!

I went out in mine early morning last month, eased and I do mean 'eased 'on the power exiting a bend ( i guess around 40mph) and had a little sideways moment! That's the first time in 3yrs the car had caught me out! Both feet in on clutch and brake and no damage done :)

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you relax a bit, enjoy the car and not worry about all the in's and out's in the first few days that headache will go away. Just drive it and enjoy it.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a small headache I didn't feel like sharing.. but everythings good now :p

V

Venomiss

Join the club and attend the holiday party coming up for VA/MD and meet some other Viper owners in your area.

John Mavridis the president for VA/MD can give you more information.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are only a few things I can add to the advice you've already gotten here. The Viper IS really an easy car to drive, and an easy car to drive fast. However, the learning curve is steep, and a little fear is a healthy thing as it will keep you alive and your Snake in one piece. Some tips:

(1) Go to a good driving school (preferably before you get your Viper, but in any case, GO!) You will learn a lot of very important skills, and have a much better understanding of vehicle dynamics as a result; that will make your driving experience with a Viper both safer and more fun.

(2) Tires, Tires, TIRES! If you get a used Viper, it may very well have older or mismatched tires. No matter how good the tread looks, DO NOT DRIVE ON OLD OR MISMATCHED TIRES, EVER! You can check the age of a tire by the tire identification number (the one that begins with"DOT". (Tire Rack's web site has the info on how to do this) . If the tires are more than 3 years old, CHANGE THEM. If the tread wear looks uneven, CHANGE THEM. If They are not all the same type, CHANGE THEM. If they are runflats, CHANGE THEM. If you are not sure, CHANGE THEM. You should budget the cost of a new, properly matched set of tires into what you plan to spend on the car. If this seems excessively cautious, just remember that those four contact patches, (smaller than your own feet and hands), are the only thing holding your Viper, (and you), to the road. If they don't stick, bad things happen. Seriously! BTW, I DO NOT sell tires, or work for anyone who does, so this ain't about money, it's about your safety, and that of others. Read it and believe it!

(3) In conjunction with (2) above, make sure your tires are warmed up, before doing anything enthusiastic with the throttle. This will take longer in cooler weather. Also note that most of the excellent tires we have for the Viper are NOT recommended below 40F. The compound gets harder and slicker in cold temperatures. Either change to a tire rated for colder temps, or park it! Most of us do the latter. Know the outside temp before you drive, AND the expected temp for your return. When in doubt, drive something else!

(4) FOCUS! A Viper demands your full attention, both on the track, and on the street. Do not talk on a cell phone, eat, or smoke, while driving. Be aware that because of those massive front tires, a Viper will bump steer and follow grooves on rough pavement. This is not ordinarily a serious problem, IF you are paying attention.

(5) Do NOT play in a Viper on public roads! It may not seem that way, but the street is a far more dangerous environment than the track! There are simply too many variables you cannot control, many of which come up with little to no warning. Adjust your driving accordingly. The place to explore the limits (yours and the car's) is in a closed, controlled environment.

(6) In conjunction with that last comment, the last place, THE VERY LAST PLACE, for any sort of showing off, is in the cockpit of a Viper! When you get in and shut the door, make sure your brain is engaged, and your ego parked outside the car, before you buckle up and push the red button. Certain other drivers (read idiots!) do nutty things around a Viper. DO NOT respond to this with anything more with a rev and a wave, EVER! The risks are NOT worth it; it's not worth your life (or someone else's), not worth losing your license, not worth wrecking your Snake! Our car has NOTHING to prove, to anyone! WE have nothing to prove, to anyone, except that we can drive it safely and smoothly! If you feel YOU have something to prove (to yourself or anyone else), take it to a sanctioned competitive venue: the track, the drag strip, or the autocross course.

(7) We are all proud of our cars. Don't let this lead you to act like a ****. Do NOT antagonize other drivers on the street. Don't tempt idiots into doing something rash (they will do enough of that without any help from you!). If you're going to be part of the VIPER Nation, be an ambassador for it. Be courteous, be friendly, be safe. Acknowledge the other guy's ride (he's proud of it too, even though it's not a Viper). This does not say you're a ninnie; what it says is that you have the skills, the self control, the self-confidence and the maturity to be responsible with 500-600hp.

With that in mind, go find the Viper of your choice, drive safely and enjoy it!:drive:

Great response WildAsp. This should be a sticky.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The short answer was totally yes... Getting a Viper was the ONLY idea.

Where's Wildasp been? I hope he's okay... I sent him a friend request on here after all he's done yet :( He's not my friend...

I second/third that wildasp's write up shoud be a sticky. I see it's getting passed around to other threads now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32