BIG news for Dodge - and great for the Viper!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler creates Ram Brand; Gilles steers Dodge; Fong leaves in shakeup

DETROIT -- Chrysler Group has created a new brand called Ram for its trucks and named its top designer, Ralph Gilles, as CEO of Dodge cars.

The new structure overhauls a setup announced in June as the automaker emerged from bankruptcy in an alliance with Fiat S.p.A. Michael Accavitti, who had led the Dodge brand, has "resigned to pursue other interests," the company said in a statement. Fred Diaz is president and CEO of the Ram brand.

Olivier Francois is CEO of the Chrysler brand, replacing Peter Fong, who has "resigned for personal reasons," the company said.

"This reorganization will allow us to protect and develop the unique nature of the product offerings within the Dodge Brand," Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said in a statement.

Michael Manley continues as CEO of Jeep. Gilles, 39, will also remain in charge of Chrysler design, and Francois will also retain his position as head of Fiat's Lancia brand.

Accavitti had worked for Chrysler for more than two decades. In 1987, he was a manufacturing engineer in the Chrysler-Maserati joint venture that produced the Chrysler TC sporty car. After that, he worked in Chrysler manufacturing, overseas in Southeast Asia and in product development and marketing. Before heading Dodge, he was Chrysler LLC's director of brand marketing.

Fong spent nine years as a U.S. Navy pilot before joining Lincoln Mercury in 1987 as a parts and service zone manager. He worked in Ford Motor Co.'s sales and marketing operations until he joined Chrysler last year. Before heading the Chrysler brand, he was director of Chrysler's mid-Atlantic business center.

Congratulations to one of the Viper's very best friends - Ralph Gilles!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

Huge congrats to Ralph. He deserves ALL the good things coming his way and we know that he'll make sure the Viper and the rest of the Dodge cars are all spectacular.

Hope he doesn't forget the "little people" now that he's a CEO. (And prior to 40, too - how cool!)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow..that is the best news out of Chrysler yet. Congrats to Ralph. This is probably the best thing that could happen for Viper:2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow..that is the best news out of Chrysler yet. Congrats to Ralph. This is probably the best thing that could happen for Viper:2tu:

The best thing for Viper would be a federal sportscar classification that would exempt sportscars from the same standards as a minivan.

But this sounds good too.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VCA Members and Viper Owners:

This may be the most significant event for Viper since Bob Lutz convinced Lee Iacocca to build it.

We all look to Ralph Gilles to lead our brand, but we all have to help him just as much...
Thanks Mr. Sergio for your vision and the insightful decisions you've made in just a few short months. I think Sergio "gets it." [He's used to 500+ HP cars.] I am hopeful of a resurgance of EXCITEMENT in DODGE/SRT Brands.

These links dont require LOG-IN registration:

Ram brand created, Gilles to lead Dodge cars and Fong leaves in Chrysler shakeup: AutoWeek Magazine

Dodge in NASCAR: What does Accavitti's exit mean?: AutoWeek Magazine

Dodge gets a split personality, and Audi's e-Tron lives, in <i>AutoWeek'</i>s News Brake for Monday, Oct. 5: AutoWeek Magazine

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph is a bright shining star for the Chrysler brand.

Best of success to Ralph. His love for all things Viper shows in the much improved newer models.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best thing for Viper would be a federal sportscar classification that would exempt sportscars from the same standards as a minivan.

But this sounds good too.

+1, though this is very, very good news already. THANK YOU Mr. Marchionne and mr. Gilles for making the right choice in listening to those that buy the product :2tu:!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Thats great! Congrats Ralph! :yay:

Wonder what the real reason is for having Ram as a stand alone brand? :dunno:

Marketing? Brand awareness? CAFE reasons?

I wonder.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Many of us know Ralph and what a fantastic move for him and all of us feel it is well deserved. Equally as important was to see the promotion of Fred Diaz. He is in the same mold as Ralph, very approachable , extremely capable and these two moves alone have made some happy , happy folks at the Woodhouse franchise.

Congrats guys!!!:2tu::2tu:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler Group has created a new brand called Ram for its trucks and named its top designer, Ralph Gilles, as CEO of Dodge cars.
Congrats Ralph. Now can we get a better looking Gen V? No edges, just curves! :2tu:
"This reorganization will allow us to protect and develop the unique nature of the product offerings within the Dodge Brand," Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said in a statement.
Uhh, so if my Dodge Ram is renamed to the Ram Ram, that "protects and develops" my Dodge Viper better.:dunno: If you say so! :lmao:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats Ralph. Now can we get a better looking Gen V? No edges, just curves! :2tu:
Uhh, so if my Dodge Ram is renamed to the Ram Ram, that "protects and develops" my Dodge Viper better.:dunno: If you say so! :lmao:

One possible reason for this: It would allow Chrysler or Jeep dealers, who do not have the Dodge brand, to carry Ram trucks without having to carry the entire Dodge brand.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, Ralph, Mr. President (CEO)! :2tu:

I had the feeling that he is climbing high ... :D
CIMG6451.jpg

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the news may be significant and congratulations to Mr. Gilles. But unless the new Chrysler can get its parts supplier problems solved, things are not going to be too cheerful. Just a few days ago, they had to shut down production of the Wrangler because of a parts issue. Design is a key function but actually producing cars is the most important function.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is in the same mold as Ralph, very approachable ,

That is what I like.
I met Ralph at the VCA vs SRT autocross....of course he is approachable there. What proves the point is when I talked with him at one of the One Lap of America events. There, I was no longer a Viper/VCA guy, just one guy in a crowd of 200 or so in the pits. Ralph was the same "approachable" guy. :headbang:

Congrats to all !! :2tu:

p.s. I think he was racing his OWN car at One Lap :drive:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One possible reason for this: It would allow Chrysler or Jeep dealers, who do not have the Dodge brand, to carry Ram trucks without having to carry the entire Dodge brand.

According to Chryslers Alpha store plan, all are going to eventually be C-D-J, so that does not make sense in theory either.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always good to see a hard worker, honest and down to earth person get promoted. It is a tough gig and at 40, he is lucky he does not have hair to turn white quickly. :)

Wish him the best and congratulations. It will give the Viper the best chance it can. If it is not to be, than it is in the stars and not to be, but I am sure he will do it justice.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This news is awesome. I met Ralph on the 2008 Cannonball One Lap of America. I was entered in my 06 FE Coupe. He drove to the start at Tire Rack in his personal ACR, the number one 2008 production ACR. He then competed in the Cannonball in a prototype Challenger, painted white to match the car from the movie Vanishing Point. The car also had a toy bulldozer on the dash (rent the movie if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Ralph's co-driver was Erich Heuschle an SRT vehicle dynamics engineer. Erich wrecked the prototype Challenger on day 1 at Road America. Ralph then had a friend pick up Ralph's personal Challenger in Detroit and drive it out to meet them. While Erich and Ralph could no longer score points because they weren't in the same car they did run every event for the fun of it. The number 2 production ACR was also entered and was driven by more SRT engineers.

Ralph and the rest of the SRT guys helped me out when my car developed a problem at No Problem Raceway outside of New Orleans. They were great.

Ralph also came to the Northeast Zone Rendezvous where he raced his ACR on the track at Pocono with the rest of us. He is a great driver by the way although he probably didn't appreciate me blowing my engine right in front of him and sending up a cloud of smoke that blotted out the sun and covered his ACR in oil.

Ralph GETS IT!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dodge has a long way to go before they impress me. they can start with tator then move on from there !

but this sounds like a decent start. we'll see how tight his hands are tied by the italians

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the best news we've had in a while. If these guys can't make Crysler a success, nobody can.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PlumCrazy,

I personally like the Italians, and I think as things go along you will too. Sergio Marchionne is very big on having group interaction on projects and decisions by having all the heads in the same room , at the same time. Kind of like the Viper Team concept when Roy Sjoberg, Herb and others got the Snake going - it was a collaborative effort.

It will remain to be seen, but alot of rumors abound that Sergio was very much involved in seeing the Viper stay in house, and with some of the moves of late , it would not surprise me a bit. We have some very well thought of and serious gearheads back working in the fold, so hold your thoughts on the Fiat buy in...............it already appears much different than with the Germans.They want a foothold in the US and they want to share technology. Most felt Mercedes wanted to share some of their mechanical insight, but never anything on a level playing field with the Benz. Fiat wants to re-establish itself and it now has a Dealer network, and a manufacturer in dire need of smaller automobiles.

Just my humble opinion, but with moves like the one with Ralph and Fred, I think team players will be rewarded and these two gentlemen are definitely in that mold.:2tu:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph congrats its Joe from NJ (meet you years ago at dinner in Red Bank NJ with Joe Houss )

G

Gotvenom 08

This news is awesome. I met Ralph on the 2008 Cannonball One Lap of America. I was entered in my 06 FE Coupe. He drove to the start at Tire Rack in his personal ACR, the number one 2008 production ACR. He then competed in the Cannonball in a prototype Challenger, painted white to match the car from the movie Vanishing Point. The car also had a toy bulldozer on the dash (rent the movie if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Ralph's co-driver was Erich Heuschle an SRT vehicle dynamics engineer. Erich wrecked the prototype Challenger on day 1 at Road America. Ralph then had a friend pick up Ralph's personal Challenger in Detroit and drive it out to meet them. While Erich and Ralph could no longer score points because they weren't in the same car they did run every event for the fun of it. The number 2 production ACR was also entered and was driven by more SRT engineers.

Ralph and the rest of the SRT guys helped me out when my car developed a problem at No Problem Raceway outside of New Orleans. They were great.

Ralph also came to the Northeast Zone Rendezvous where he raced his ACR on the track at Pocono with the rest of us. He is a great driver by the way although he probably didn't appreciate me blowing my engine right in front of him and sending up a cloud of smoke that blotted out the sun and covered his ACR in oil.

Ralph GETS IT!

Here's a few pics of what you were talking about at the One Lap of America.
I met this guy riding a bike around the paddock.:)
You must be registered for see images attach

And here is a pic of his side kick.

And of course, one of the final shots of the original white challenger before the mishap.

Congrats Ralph on your new position.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PS.......The "In Costume" characters Of Ralph and Eric assumed the roles of Super Soul and Kowalski from the movie...... Ralph usually looks a but more dapper, and he borrowed the peace sign from his daughters' jewelry box!

Here's a few pics of what you were talking about at the One Lap of America.
I met this guy riding a bike around the paddock.:)

Congrats Ralph on your new position.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Ralph. My wife was taking all the pictures of you in your new ACR @ VIR last year in the silver Avenger rental car. I met you in the trailer after one of the races when you came back in.
Good luck!