Thread: Keeping new Viper owners SAFE - a How To:

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Viper Owner

Default Re: Keeping new Viper owners SAFE - a How To:

the safety was a large concern for me personally. I see vids of these things spinning and I think to myself how uncool it would be to not be incontrol at every moment as a vehicle operator.

The traction & stability controls in the V were a huge selling point for me. I understand its due to them being leaglly mandated but honestly "full on" doesn't stop any of my fun in driving and makes me feel more at ease and safer. The prior gens not having them was a variable in me not purchasing one of those models.

Viper Owner

That's awesome that you feel that way, and now have a Viper.
    The 'unsafe factor' has a lot of appeal for most of us old school guys. -not that we're stupid, just crazy.
    The earlier cars really are 'not for everybody'. You gotta be nuts to wanna drive one, and push it to the limit.
    You have some cool stuff in your signature, and I am glad to see you feel the Viper is something you can add to the stable.
    Hopefully it doesn't disappoint you.

Viper Owner

Wrecked Exotics has 23 pages of crashed Vipers. Stay safe out there!
    http://www.wreckedexotics.com/viper/index.shtml

Viper Owner

Sucks.

The only positive I can think of from that is, our remaining cars are that much more rare, and that's more parts that Don can sell us.

Enthusiast

Just got a 14 gen5 .... how much safer is the new cars vs. Gen 1 to 4s with out tcs n esp ? Im a bit weary of the car I jyst got... will be careful but... used to 996 turbo n bmw s1000rr bike... both have excellent traction n stability programs. .. saves my ass a lot of times..

Just bought a brand spanking new 2015 Viper SRT, Gun Metal Pearl. Kind of like it without stripes, but I guess thats just my personal taste. I'm a new Viper owner so I joined the boards for access to some sage advice from you guys who have owned them before. Yes, I'm being very careful not to do anything stupid. I know that this car will eat my lunch if I tell it to do anything stupid, because......it will do it.1Viper SRT.jpg2Viper SRT.jpg3Viper SRT.jpg2015 Viper SRT, Gun Metal Pearl.jpg

VCA Legacy Member
    UT/AZ

Congrats,and yes, snake bit has many definitions
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Enthusiast

I know I'll take some heat, especially from free 2 "leave" but here goes. Why are you buying a car that you are so scared of?! Everyone seems to be petrified about touching the gas on these things. It's a Viper, not a top fuel dragster. If you can't handle it than buy a minivan. Once you scare yourself, which everyone must do, than you know the outer limits and you learn what you can get away with. Everyone who buys one must be older and has driven many miles before in rain, maybe snow, and has lots of experience because it takes awhile to be able to afford one. Use your previous experience, experiment in a safe place and learn how to drive it. Hasn't anyone done burnouts and donuts before?. Suck it up, drive your car, and have fun!

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1968 View Post
    I know I'll take some heat, especially from free 2 "leave" but here goes. Why are you buying a car that you are so scared of?! Everyone seems to be petrified about touching the gas on these things. It's a Viper, not a top fuel dragster. If you can't handle it than buy a minivan. Once you scare yourself, which everyone must do, than you know the outer limits and you learn what you can get away with. Everyone who buys one must be older and has driven many miles before in rain, maybe snow, and has lots of experience because it takes awhile to be able to afford one. Use your previous experience, experiment in a safe place and learn how to drive it. Hasn't anyone done burnouts and donuts before?. Suck it up, drive your car, and have fun!

What a weak and subtle...yet effective trolling technique you have. Unfortunately, I have risen from the depths to agree with you on this one.

Viper Owner

Read each and every post and what I have taken away from this is that I need to go ahead and drop around $500 for some driving classes.
    Thanks for this thread and all of your helpful advice!

Viper Owner

I too, read every post in this thread. I'm trying to purchase my first Viper as soon as next week.

I think it points out the need to tread lightly when driving one of these machines.

A man in the movies once said and I think it's very appropriate to this thread. "A man's got to know his limitations".

Common sense is very important in everything you do and especially when your life could hang in the balance. (i.e. when driving a Viper)

Enthusiast

VCA Member
    Gulf States

OK so define older? Sometimes in life the crappy fate fairy shines your way and you get to purchase on of these a little quicker than your age group.
    I do agree with learning what your car s capable of and what the two of you are capable of together. Let's face it though it's a VIPER. It is what it is. I plan on having some hellish good fun in mine. BTW broomrider happens to be 39yrs young .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3