Michelin Pilot Sport ZP Run Flats vs PS2?

jayskills

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new owner and read in a couple of threads the runflats are a bad tire. Is this specifically for the track? or is it a bad tire also on the streets/highways?

I also read the multiple praises on how good the PS2 tire is....is it really a night and day difference?

Any experiance/advice would be helpful.

I'm asking cause there is a chance to get a pair of runflats for $1,000 (tire rims) vs ps2 for $1600 (just tire).

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Seems like a bargain at $1000 for tires and rims. You could burn up the Runflats on the track and still have a set of rims ultra cheap. Once the run flats are warmed up they aren't that bad on the track, and will actually last quite a bit longer than the PS2s.

No doubt once you go to PS2s they do ride better, but with the scenario you have listed, I would jump on a set with tires and rims ( never hurts to have a second set of rims ).:2tu:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is Night/Day difference. The runflats are a horrible tire and I can't believe they came on the Viper.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new owner and read in a couple of threads the runflats are a bad tire. ........
I also read the multiple praises on how good the PS2 tire is....is it really a night and day difference? Any experiance/advice would be helpful.
I'm asking cause there is a chance to get a pair of runflats for $1,000 (tire rims) vs ps2 for $1600 (just tire).

I seldom disagree with BillP, but I think he might have missed the PAIR for $1000. I dont think its a good deal...in fact it may be a BAD deal if its a pair of boat-anchor-10-spokes with used bad tires.

Bad Tires for a Bad price

The 'multipe praises' have been EARNED: PS2 are "NIGHT AND DAY" in terms of grip, handling, ride, predictable = overall safety, and watershed.... under $1580 for all 4......

The ZP tire is discontinued...that oughtta tell ya something: DITCH the Runflats before they DITCH You.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to jonb on this one.

I never drove on a set of run flats but have read enough to know its just not worth it.

My PS2's hold 800 plus rwhp pretty well and the ride is great.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whoops, didn't see pair ............still stand by if it is a full set, but otherwise, get a set of PS2s. Have them on my car and they ride a bunch better.

OP
OP
J

jayskills

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's actually a set of 4....sorry about that.

So the traction for regular/highway driving on the runflats is that unbearable?

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZPs are being discontinued?! Are you sure? PS2s may be a better performing tire but the ZPs are much tougher. I don't think they are that bad. I'm still running on my originals even though I should change them but I'm waiting until I hit the treadwear bars. I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road nor would I want to deal with pressure/goop kits.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you like your Viper to be 'darting' all over the highway when the road gets a little rough?

RUNCRAPS.

if you want a nice, smooth ride with lottsa grip?

PS2's!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ZPs are being discontinued?! Are you sure? PS2s may be a better performing tire but the ZPs are much tougher. I don't think they are that bad. I'm still running on my originals even though I should change them but I'm waiting until I hit the treadwear bars. I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road nor would I want to deal with pressure/goop kits.

Wow. So long as you drive sedately and sane and dry, you should be OK.

Being on the side of the road with a compressor-sealer is Waaaaay better than being in the ditch. 'DITCH the runflats before they DITCH YOU'

DITTO-to what Leslie sez.......

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new owner and read in a couple of threads the runflats are a bad tire. Is this specifically for the track? or is it a bad tire also on the streets/highways?

I also read the multiple praises on how good the PS2 tire is....is it really a night and day difference?

Any experiance/advice would be helpful.

Was told at Viper Days in Savannah Georgia "NO" to run flats! JonB on the ditching part is correct! Listen to Jon!!!!:2tu:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He who dumps on runflats has never had a rear flat on a Viper at 9 pm on a country road. I have had it happen twice at night and it ain't no fun.

I have PS2s on my 09 Viper (run flats on my 06) and 09 CTS-V and they are fine (as long as the temp is above 38 degrees --if not they are more dangerous than run flats--don't believe me--call Michelin) I have to switch to Pirelli Winters in November every year on the Caddy --the PS2s are hockey pucks.

There are trade offs to everything. If I am not racing the Viper, I prefer run flats.
PS2s are great in the rain, however.

And, I almost NEVER disagree with my good friend Jon.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't it be interesting if the Run-Flats end up being the hot ticket item in 30 years with restorers and they can not find them because they are discontinued and everyone threw them in the trash. Funnier things have happened, like smog equipment on muscle cars. Some could be kicking themselves. :)

They are just too hard of a tire for the Viper application, IMHO. Not a bad tire just a mis-application for the Viper. Mine make the car bounce like a rabbit down the concrete highways.

I am debating the same delimna as I am trying to decide if I should go with a set of polished sidewinders and Sport Cups or try to pick up a set of six spokes or maybe a 2010 set of rims, if they have a net new rim to offer with PS2s, that I like and are light.

Plan on just shelving my original 5 spokes and Run Flats as is if I do, in case of future collectibility for the car.

Along the same lines as the original poster, PS2s on the street versus Sport Cups? Can some really provide a synopsis with life with both on the street. I am leanign Sport Cups with my whopping 1000 miles a year I put on the car, to get the most fun and grip but are there other real trade offs?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Make No Mistake: When new and green, back in 2002, the PS-ZP runflat tire was the FIRST production tire on a Viper that ever pulled more than 1 G on a skidpad! The magazines even said so. SRT-Team Viper and Michelin did their best at the time.

What was probably not envisioned was the hardening of the tire after age / repeated heat cycles. They get 'greasy' feeling when heated in track events....and the buckboard stiff ride wears on you. At 3-4 years old, they are almost treacherous in my view..... I was SO delighted on all counts when I swapped em for PS2.

Lucky for me, I have had about 6-7 'flats' since 1993, but all were leaker-flats....I was able to use the portable goo Fix-A-Flat to limp home or to a tire store. My only full-out-FLAT I was at the track, and had my trailer! Back in 1993 it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a store that could mount the rear 13" wide wheel! Now, almost any shop can do them...

PS-2 and Fix-A-Flat for me, please....

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do the fix-a-flat or tire goop do to the sensors? Do they have to be replaced when the tire is replaced/repaired?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper