Mobil 1 turbo diesel 5-40

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the car away today after adding stabil and this time using mobil 1 5-40 turbo diesel oil and my usual mobil 1 oil filter. Oil pressure came up fast. No nasty sounds. Upon driving the oil pressure appears to be a slight tick higher. Thanks Tom. GTS Bruce

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Questions...why did you choose the diesel Mobile One over the 0-40 Viper approved Mobile One? Also, why the Mobile One filter over the Comp Coupe filter? Just curious. ;)

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How well documented in Vipers is this oil?

I am a big fan of running diesel oil in gas motors (rotella in my built STi motor & Grand National).

Nick

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time for me to do some research. :D
Thanks for the post. I used to run the stuff in my $10k Subaru motor and loved the results (very few would follow). Time to check it on the Viper.

Nick

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting....:hmmm:

What is the main difference between diesel and gas - the detergents?

I'm sure Tom will chime in, but the Diesel oil has a more robust additive package, and more phosphorous than the typical gas engine oil. Check out your local Wal Mart - they had M1 5w-40 turbo diesel oil on 'rollback' a while ago and I ended up buying about 30 gallons of the stuff at $22 a jug. They might still have it, and with crude oil prices headed back up again, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump in prices for most oil products.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few differences.

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines do not have a precious metal catalyst, so phosphorus in the oil is not a concern. Therefore, the antiwear additive that our Viper engines were designed with, is still used at a healthy treat rate. Newer oils have less to protect the catalytic converter.

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines average 50% to 85% load all day and so put lots of soot and heat into the oil. The soot is managed by dispersants; so any wayward fuel dilution, exhaust gas, etc, that our Viper engines introduce to the oil will be quickly taken care of.

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines are typically turbocharged and so piston crown temperatures are high, and continuously so. Detergents are needed to keep ring lands clean and pistons skirts clean. So Viper engines that have enthusiastic connections to the right foot will be well protected when the right foot is mostly down.

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines generate heat. Lots of heat. Look at the exhaust stack. Much of the heat will be trying to cook the oil, so diesel oils have anti-oxidants to prevent the oil from turning dark and thickening into goo and jello. So when or if your Viper engine oil temperature rises you can look and say "hey, not as bad as a diesel!"

Diesel engine oil is the Superman; passenger car oils are the Jimmy Olsens. And before anyone asks, the European performance oils like 0W40 Mobil 1 are very good also because so many cars in Europe have diesel engines. Kind of like hanging on Superman's cape.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And before anyone asks, the European performance oils like 0W40 Mobil 1 are very good also because so many cars in Europe have diesel engines. Kind of like hanging on Superman's cape.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: That was funny..........................

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read up on the forum here earlier and reason SRT used 0w 40 because for better EPA. .2 or .3 mpg difference. I use 15w 50 :) and happy w it and keep my idle over 50psi

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines do not have a precious metal catalyst, so phosphorus in the oil is not a concern. Therefore, the antiwear additive that our Viper engines were designed with, is still used at a healthy treat rate. Newer oils have less to protect the catalytic converter.

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines average 50% to 85% load all day and so put lots of soot and heat into the oil. The soot is managed by dispersants; so any wayward fuel dilution, exhaust gas, etc, that our Viper engines introduce to the oil will be quickly taken care of.

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines are typically turbocharged and so piston crown temperatures are high, and continuously so. Detergents are needed to keep ring lands clean and pistons skirts clean. So Viper engines that have enthusiastic connections to the right foot will be well protected when the right foot is mostly down.

Diesel (in north America, that means trucks) engines generate heat. Lots of heat. Look at the exhaust stack. Much of the heat will be trying to cook the oil, so diesel oils have anti-oxidants to prevent the oil from turning dark and thickening into goo and jello. So when or if your Viper engine oil temperature rises you can look and say "hey, not as bad as a diesel!"

Diesel engine oil is the Superman; passenger car oils are the Jimmy Olsens. And before anyone asks, the European performance oils like 0W40 Mobil 1 are very good also because so many cars in Europe have diesel engines. Kind of like hanging on Superman's cape.

Tom, Sorry but I don't understand your first paragraph. Is phosphorous bad for our Viper catalysts? Do diesel oils have more phosphorous?

On another note, what oil do you recommend during break in?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a yes or no, then yes, phosphorus poisons catalysts. But it depends on oil consumption, type of phosphorus, amount of precious metal loading on the catalyst, the rest of the oil formulation, and many other variables. Even with those factors, the life of a catalyst with "older oils" was ~80,000 miles.

Newer cars require even longer catalyst life, and although I have not kept up with this, I think it's safe to say that they must now meet the equivalent of 120,000 miles of service (not perfection, just service.) I find that since the OEMs have not come up with an engine test that predicts an oils effect on catalysts a black eye for them. They have continually said phosphorus is "bad" but the limitation has always been a number picked by them. There is no magic to the levels used; back during API SG, SH it was around 0.12 wt%, then was reduced to 0.10 wt%, and is now at 0.08 wt%. The next oil category that will be introduced next year will be not more than 0.08 wt% and not less than 0.06 wt%. I'm bothered because it does not allow the lubricant formulators to build up to a performance target; they are technically handcuffed to a numerical limit.

Gasoline (premixed charge) engines emit relatively more HC and CO than diesel engines, which emit more soot and NOx. Therefore a diesel engine's first line of exhaust treatment is a particulate trap. Without the precious metal concern, diesel oils can retain the previous normal level of phosphorus. However, the particulate filters trap other things besides soot, such as sulfur (from the fuel), sulfated ash (a measure of detergents in the oil), and also phosphorus (from oil consumption). In time, the phosphorus level in diesel oils may also decrease even though it is not targeted directly.

There are now a few break-in oils by Joe Gibbs, RP, etc. If you are building a flat tappet engine you will need this. It's not a luxury, it is a requirement, since an off-the-shelf oil is probably not good enough. Builders have also used diesel oils successfully and motorcycle oils should also be good (since many stayed at API SG performance due to the newer oils incorporating friction modifiers.) European oils of higher viscosity grades (those that don't try to be fuel economy oils) would also be acceptable.

OEMs want fuel efficient, catalyst friendly oils in the 10W30 and lower viscosity grades. It's another reason 0W40, 5W40, etc oils will be able to still have normal phosphorus levels.